steel vs. brass (study)

cmh_sprint

As long as I've been around black guns and shooting forums, the pissing match about brass vs. steel inevitably ignores the single most important distinction between the two:

Real world use vs. range use.

For practice, range time, drills, even plinking there is simply no reason not to use steel. The cost savings over time will buy a new rifle. The steel absolutely does not ruin chambers, barrels, break extractors or anything else that warrants the fear...and if it did? You saved enough to buy new parts or a new gun.

For real world use, brass. And, all the best tactical or self-defense ammo is loaded in it anyway.

I've used both extensively for years and years. I've stuck some steel in the chambers, I've seen some bad brass too, but I never confused the role of the two. One is for when it doesn't matter, the other is.

As long as I've been around black guns and shooting forums, the pissing match about brass vs. steel inevitably ignores the single most important distinction between the two:

Real world use vs. range use.

For practice, range time, drills, even plinking there is simply no reason not to use steel. The cost savings over time will buy a new rifle. The steel absolutely does not ruin chambers, barrels, break extractors or anything else that warrants the fear...and if it did? You saved enough to buy new parts or a new gun.

For real world use, brass. And, all the best tactical or self-defense ammo is loaded in it anyway.

I've used both extensively for years and years. I've stuck some steel in the chambers, I've seen some bad brass too, but I never confused the role of the two. One is for when it doesn't matter, the other is.

I'm confused by this... So are you saying steel will not damage your weapon any more than brass will? I've always been under the impression that it is much harsher on your weapon than brass. Sure steel is cheaper, but Jesus every time I use steel I get weapon jams out the ass vs brass where I almost never get a jam. I just can't justify using steel over brass, even at the range.

I'm confused by this... So are you saying steel will not damage your weapon any more than brass will? I've always been under the impression that it is much harsher on your weapon than brass. Sure steel is cheaper, but Jesus every time I use steel I get weapon jams out the ass vs brass where I almost never get a jam. I just can't justify using steel over brass, even at the range.

Steel tends to leave more residue etc. If you properly clean and maintain your weapon, this really isn't an issue. I've shot a case of steel out of my SIG 229 and never once had a misfeed, misfire, etc. I use Frog Lube and I haven't really noticed a big difference in residue etc.

No, it will absolutely not damage your weapon. First of all, the steel is very soft - it wouldn't be able to expand and seat in the chamber if it were hard enough to ruin your gun or break stuff. Secondly, all steel rounds are coated with polymer or lacquer that softens the blow of the extractor and bolt face - the only two parts to see a "wear" against the shell.

I've shot literally tens of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo (Wolf mostly) in my AR's without breaking a single thing or seeing any significant extractor wear. If it were hard on a gun, I'd have seen it over and over. I also own a range where hundreds of guys have brought guns and ran steel like it's going out of style. I've yet to see a single breakage that could be attributed to it.

Some guns don't run it well, and if they don't because of tight chambers or whatever then fine run what works but the cost savings would buy your gun twice over the course of a few cases of 5.56 or .308. There is a tangible benefit to using it. The real issue with steel that causes issues is because it seats and contracts differently than brass...it tends to expand and release slower (especially if held by grit or a dirty chamber) and this causes extraction difficulties on some guns.

Also, a gun that experiences a stoppage once and a while isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've run Wolf at carbine classes and having it shit on you is good training...stoppage drills and all that.

But for home defense or accuracy, I run good brass from reputable manufacturers or make my own. I know that steel has limited use in most guns (AK's excepted).

I wouldn't have a problem with it (steel) except that my AR throws a pussy-fit with Tula, and always short-cycles with it. Eats every off-the-shelf and hand-loaded brass round I've jammed down its gullet all day, but I'll be dammed if it doesn't go all princessy with steel...

I had always wondered about the burn rate of the powder used in Tula, but since they charted it in that article and noted a difference, that may be my issue. I've noticed an interestingly perceivable difference in chrono speed by changing the powder in my hand-loads to ones with different burn rates, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the culprit after all.

All in all, an entertaining read over my lunch break.

Steel cases don't bother me, steel jackets do. That barrel wear is sick. I've been told the steel jackets are mild enough to not make much difference - after seeing that article I regret the 40rds of Brown Bear I put through my AK. Never again...