Ban going nowhere

JaronsToy

While I hope this is true, look at the one thing that it appeared would never happen-legalized recreational pot. Another thing-govt legislated healthcare. So maybe this assault on assault rifles might not stick, it will not take many more massacres like Sandy Hook to occur before a national referendum on some sort of ban and restrictions, sticks, imho.

And in that light I would not put it past our govt to 'help' this along.

Something has to be done, we can't just walk away. The only think that I know of that has a real chance of success is empowering the victims to create effective resistance.

- Remove all state CPZs (except for places that the police cannot even carry)

- Nationwide CCW (not just reciprocity)

- If school employees want to carry, let them. Define standards for training, low-ricochet ammo etc.

- Every school should review their lockdown plans to ensure that once a lockdown is declared that no shooter can enter any classroom (or just shoot through the walls into the area where the kids are hiding).

- Go to the tax base for each school district for a levy that will pay for school resource officers. If the tax base refuses, then it's on their own heads.

- Work with neighbors who live near school (training, background checks) to create a trusted group of Volunteer School Marshals. These would be locals who will be able to respond faster than the police. Almost like volunteer firefighters. When there is a threat, lockdown or other event these people can be called on to provide security. These people will be given active shooter training, force-on-force, decision-making and take part in realistic drills. There needs to be a trust between these people, the school and the police. This would not just be for actual shootings, but for any lockdown. Armed suspect on the loose in the area? Gun found on campus? Threats of violence on campus? Send for the volunteer school marshals who will stand guard as an extra layer of protection.

- Work with neighbors who live near school (training, background checks) to create a trusted group of Volunteer School Marshals. These would be locals who will be able to respond faster than the police. Almost like volunteer firefighters. When there is a threat, lockdown or other event these people can be called on to provide security. These people will be given active shooter training, force-on-force, decision-making and take part in realistic drills. There needs to be a trust between these people, the school and the police. This would not just be for actual shootings, but for any lockdown. Armed suspect on the loose in the area? Gun found on campus? Threats of violence on campus? Send for the volunteer school marshals who will stand guard as an extra layer of protection.

The Volunteer School Marshall concept was discussed in some earlier threads (I believe those were limited to school employees, not including neighbors). I think it would be the most effective action to deter and minimize any future disasters like Sandy Hook. It's a very American approach to solving a problem in a 'We The People' kind of way.

Volunteer Marshalls would not need to be considered law enforcement. If police cannot respond for 10 minutes...their ENTIRE mission would be as a first responder to provide armed resistance to keep a potential criminal at bey for 10 minutes.

I still do not like the idea of teachers carrying in the classroom. I prefer a small group of anonymous (like Air Marshalls) volunteers with access to a weapons safe in a secret location.

This would also be the most cost effective solution to our cash strapped education system. Several groups have already offered to provide free weapons training to school employees. You would still need a couple of strategically selected weapons, perhaps a helmet and vest, and a gun safe. I'll bet gun owners and concerned citizens across the country would be willing to donate to puchase this type of equipment for their local schools. Shit...I would donate a gun safe to my kid's school.

Of all the ideas I've heard, this would give the best results, IMO. Just the notion that a School Marshall was present would be a deterrent.

I'm on the fence about the ban still because it appears that the `rat's don't have the votes in either house to pass anything. But on the other hand, there was not a snowballs chance in hell Obama could get re-elected either. We don't live in sane times anymore and now it looks like we are getting 11 million new democrat voters added to the FSA soon.

Don't let up your pressure. When the media has been complicit in driving the hysteria, I also believe they're able to manufacture stories that attempt to stop the activism from gun owners when they're close to legislation.

This is the time to hammer your reps and senators...don't believe we've beat this.

This is the best response I have gotten so far.

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to legislation regulating assault weapons. As a gun owner, concealed carry permit holder, and lifetime member of the NRA, I share your support for the Second Amendment. I am also troubled that there are those who would consider exploiting such a senseless human tragedy as the Sandy Hook shooting for political gain.

As you may know, on January 24, 2013, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced S.150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prohibit the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 157 of the most commonly-owned assault weapons, in addition to banning an additional group of assault weapons that can accept a detachable ammunition magazine. It would also ban large-capacity magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Additionally, S. 150 would require background checks on all future transfers of assault weapons covered by this legislation, prohibit the sale or transfer of high-capacity ammunition feeding devices currently in existence, and impose additional requirements on the storage of grandfathered assault weapons.

While Senator Feinstein claims this legislation "protects the rights of law-abiding citizens," who use guns for legitimate recreational purposes, hunting or protection, I have serious concerns that this legislation infringes on Second Amendment rights. I, along with every other American, agree that what occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School is a human tragedy. I support efforts that will improve the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals who face serious mental health challenges, and I support common sense measures to reduce the overall culture of violence in America. But, I will not support any legislation or executive action that seeks to limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, please be assured that I share your opposition to S. 150 or similar legislation to ban assault weapons by law-abiding citizens.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.billjohnson.house.gov, so that you may keep track of my most recent work in Congress. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Johnson

Member of Congress

• Upvote 1

This is the best response I have gotten so far.

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to legislation regulating assault weapons. As a gun owner, concealed carry permit holder, and lifetime member of the NRA, I share your support for the Second Amendment. I am also troubled that there are those who would consider exploiting such a senseless human tragedy as the Sandy Hook shooting for political gain.

As you may know, on January 24, 2013, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced S.150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prohibit the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 157 of the most commonly-owned assault weapons, in addition to banning an additional group of assault weapons that can accept a detachable ammunition magazine. It would also ban large-capacity magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Additionally, S. 150 would require background checks on all future transfers of assault weapons covered by this legislation, prohibit the sale or transfer of high-capacity ammunition feeding devices currently in existence, and impose additional requirements on the storage of grandfathered assault weapons.

While Senator Feinstein claims this legislation "protects the rights of law-abiding citizens," who use guns for legitimate recreational purposes, hunting or protection, I have serious concerns that this legislation infringes on Second Amendment rights. I, along with every other American, agree that what occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School is a human tragedy. I support efforts that will improve the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals who face serious mental health challenges, and I support common sense measures to reduce the overall culture of violence in America. But, I will not support any legislation or executive action that seeks to limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, please be assured that I share your opposition to S. 150 or similar legislation to ban assault weapons by law-abiding citizens.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.billjohnson.house.gov, so that you may keep track of my most recent work in Congress. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Johnson

Member of Congress

To where do I have to move to vote for this guy?

Something has to be done, we can't just walk away. The only think that I know of that has a real chance of success is empowering the victims to create effective resistance.

- If school employees want to carry, let them. Define standards for training, low-ricochet ammo etc.

- Every school should review their lockdown plans to ensure that once a lockdown is declared that no shooter can enter any classroom (or just shoot through the walls into the area where the kids are hiding).

- Go to the tax base for each school district for a levy that will pay for school resource officers. If the tax base refuses, then it's on their own heads

Very well said

Here is the letter I got through snail mail.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the 2"" Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I strongly believe that both the U.S. and Ohio Constitutions guarantee its citizens the individual right to own and carry firearms for protection and sport. I also believe that nothing is more important than keeping our children safe, and that we must do everything in our power to ensure their safety while in school.

As a proud gun owner and sportsman, I intend to protect the lawful use of firearms. I believe that government should concentrate on keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, rather than focusing on law abiding citizens.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If my office can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please feel free to contact us.

Very respectfully yours,

MIKE DEWINE

Ohio Attorney General

Very clear and direct reply to my questions and concerns. Sherrod Brown on the other hand.... :rolleyes:

- Go to the tax base for each school district for a levy that will pay for school resource officers. If the tax base refuses, then it's on their own heads.

All that, and not a single mention of mental health evaluation and/or proper treatment. Interesting that when all this kicked off you were all "guns aren't the problem, mental health is!" (which is a very valid argument, and IMO should be addressed) and now you've settled to the comparatively easy position of "just let everybody carry!", not even attempting to fight the harder, more important, and more applicable issue of mental health.

All that, and not a single mention of mental health evaluation and/or proper treatment. Interesting that when all this kicked off you were all "guns aren't the problem, mental health is!" (which is a very valid argument, and IMO should be addressed) and now you've settled to the comparatively easy position of "just let everybody carry!", not even attempting to fight the harder, more important, and more applicable issue of mental health.

I doubt that Scruit's list is intended to be limited to just that. Nor is anyone's else's list. And it's all going to change over time. Till we give up or get it right.

edit: You might know my solution. Go directly to the violence with violence. Make it stop.

That happened in Columbus, when city, county, state, ATF and FBI slammed the street gangs. It worked.

Edited by ReconRat

I doubt that Scruit's list is intended to be limited to just that. Nor is anyone's else's list. And it's all going to change over time. Till we give up or get it right.

edit: You might know my solution. Go directly to the violence with violence. Make it stop.

That happened in Columbus, when city, county, state, ATF and FBI slammed the street gangs. It worked.

The gangs are the real out of control issue in the country, and there is no way to accurately or consistently treat, or even properly diagnose the mentally unstable folks. Go after the real problems and issues at hand, leave the good law abiding citizens be. This country is broke anyways, so I don't see anything positive or effective occurring anytime soon.

We have report drunk driving signs, report drug use signs, we just need a report Crazy sign.

Chill. I was just addressing the empowerment of victims to defend themselves. That isn't every single facet of my opinion in one post.

I'm watching the Newtown School Safety meeting. They are calling for an annual re-registration of all firearms (except "military" style weapons, which should be confiscated)

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/cvplive/cvpstream3&hpt=hp_t2#/video/cvplive/cvpstream4

"The right of any person to own a gun is secondary to my son's right to live."