anyone heat with wood?

oldschoolsdime92

Jen's Dad uses a woodburner to supplement his propane forced air furnace. Those stoves look pretty nice and qualify for the tax credit too - win win! I know his will run you out of a 15'x30' room, he typically keeps it around 75-80 degrees and feels like a dry sauna in his house. He can heat the majority of a 2200sqft home ( except a few bedrooms he closes off ) with just the wood stove and a couple fans to move the heat around.

I have been heating with wood for the past 7 years the last 2 years its been about 90% wood since I ran out of fuel oil. We use the Eden Pure when its real cold out or if the fire goes out. Heating with wood is a pain in the ass. Its dirty, its a ton of work and you have to be a slave to it all winter. I have to put wood in the fire every 4 hours. Sure you can put more wood in or turn the draft down and get more heat or longer burn times but it makes the most heat and uses the least wood to put wood in every 4 hours. So that means getting out of bed at 2am going to the basment and putting wood in all winter long. Planing work and going away on weekeds around that 4 hour burn time. I have the great set up with the dirt and mess in a basment with a walk out door but you still have to bring wood in everyday. Then theres the cutting the wood, hauling the wood, spliting the wood, stacking the wood, keeping the wood covered all year and then cleaning up in the yard in spring outside from mess.

I keep burning wood because I like to save money and I already have the saws, truck, trailer, spliter, wood stove and the kids to help do it. If I had to do it over I would do like most people and just pay for the fuel oil.

We did for 15 years or so but we had a wood burning insert not free standing. They are nice, but if you've never done it be prepared for a dry, dusty, dirty house.

When we move/build/buy hopefully before the summer is over, we will be putting in 1)Geothermal or 2)An exterior pellet stove, not that expensive and work like crazy. You can actually get interior pellet stoves too and I would do that before I did a free standing wood stove.

If you have questions about using wood, like specific ones let me know. I've split probably 25+ cord of wood in my life and even with a gas powered splitter F THAT. I used to hate fall/early winter with that, but electric baseboard heat blows hard.

holy shnickes!

My house is about 1200 sq foot, we have electric baseboards in the whole house. I was thinking of putting a wood stove in, so we arn't killing out electric bill all the time. Our electric bill this month was 300 bucks. We have blown in insulation, newer windows and all that jazz. I put digi thermostats on all the baseboards and that seems to help maintain much better, than the old dial. I'm not opposed to use the baseboards if it gets real cold, but to fire up the wood stove after work would be pretty nice I think.

Few more questions

Is the cost worth it to install?

what to look for in a good quality stove? any particular brands?

I have access to wood , which is why I am more interested in wood than pellets, along with the fact that (if i understand this correctly) if we have a power outage , we will still have heat with the wood stove.

In my new house I've been burning wood. I think it's 1500 sq foot. I've had it up to 73 degrees on the coldest days. I love the wood heat, it's just a lot of work. I'm on my sixth truck load this year. Next year I will cut maybe 20 truck loads to get ahead. I would look for an older used one with no glass first.

Jen's Dad uses a woodburner to supplement his propane forced air furnace. Those stoves look pretty nice and qualify for the tax credit too - win win! I know his will run you out of a 15'x30' room, he typically keeps it around 75-80 degrees and feels like a dry sauna in his house. He can heat the majority of a 2200sqft home ( except a few bedrooms he closes off ) with just the wood stove and a couple fans to move the heat around.

I heat with a wood stove and supplement to my propane as well. I am using the Dovre Isle Royale model now owned by Quadra Fire. I bought a floor model that was a closeout. Dovre was made by someone else at the time. Beautiful fire and love the top load feature. It helps with all the dirt and debris when moving the wood around. Best feature of the stove. I did buy a fan for it that mounts on the back and bottom to move air around and help circulate the heat. Made a huge difference. It does heat the upstairs bedrooms too as heat rises. Sometimes I do supplement the upstairs master bedroom with the Eden Pure when it takes too long for the heat to circulate upstairs. http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Isle-Royale-Wood-Stove.aspx

I have access to all the free wood I can cut so it is a plus. Downside is it is a lot of work, but I love the warm heat!!! I do most of my wood cutting, splitting, stacking and storing by myself. I keep the thermostat down to around 65 and then bring up the heat in the house to about 70-75 sometimes depending on how much wood you put in. The furnace does not run while the stove is on. It really cranks out the heat and can heat 2200 SF quite well. Nothing like that heat on a cold day. Radiant heat is the best. Just standing in front of it feels like you are on a beach laying in the sun. Awesome feeling if you come in from outside and you are chilled through.

I keep wood in a pole building on the farm so it stays dry during the winter and then haul it into my garage one wagon load at a time. Can go about 4-6 weeks at a time before having to haul more wood in. It does get dirty and dusty in the house but you just have to be proactive in keeping after it by sweeping and dusting frequently. I run a house humidifier when we burn wood b/c it is a nice dry heat and can dry your sinuses out too much.

Propane is expensive and I still have to have it for my dryer, stove, hot water tank and my furnace in between times. I am glad I have my wood stove and yes if the power goes out I always have heat and yes, it has happened in the middle of winter.

Hope this info helps. I don't have the stove you are looking at but it does look like a good one. If you have access to the free wood you can't go wrong.

I built my house new 10 years ago, so I had a Class A Metal Chimney installed. The builder put in some nice stack stone around the wood stove and gave me a nice hearth area around it and a place to stack my wood inside the house too. Looks nice. Make sure whatever stove you choose, you adhere to the manufacturer specs for clearances, etc. before you proceed. That will be most important. Good luck.

Edited by blue-yamaR6s
additional info

If you decide to heat with wood build up a stash throughout the summer that's when its cheapest. Also splitting and stacking wood sucks in the winter. Try to have all you'll need by fall. When you stack it put it on a shelf type set up above the ground. It keeps it dry and cuts down on pests. Nothing like finding a snake thawing out in your wood stack after you bring a pile inside. Wood stoves work best when people in the house have different schedules. When my wife and I were dating she worked a morning shift and I worked an afternoon shift. It was perfect she'd wake up load the stove get ready for work then top it off and go to work. I'd wake up load it again bring in enough wood for the rest of the day get ready top it off and go to work. She'd come home load it do whatever before bed then top it off. Is come home bring in enough wood for the morning load it eat dinner and whatever then top it off and go to bed. It was always 75-80 in our old rental house and we didn't use the furnace accept as a back up set at 60* incase the fire went out. If you've got a strong work ethic wood burning is the way to go. If you can afford one of those outdoor ones that can tie into your duct work it saves on work load. You can put huge logs in there and burn all kinds of stuff you shouldn't in an indoor stove such as pine and paper. I've heard you can load those up and they work more like a furnace so you've got better control of the temp. And burn time. I've heard you can get away with loading them every 12 or more.

Two years ago we put in a Jotul to supplement our fuel oil which is ungodly expensive. Saves me about half what we spent on oil previously. Will try to get a pic up. When the stove is burning, we run the fan on the furnace and it helps to circulate some of the heat. You're still going to get cold spots in some of your rooms, but the money savings is worth it to me.

Definitely listen to the tips on seasoned wood, and don't believe these people selling wood in the fall that tell you its seasoned. Chances are they're landscapers that have picked up wood and left it uncut and unsplit in a pile somewhere until the end of their season when they have time to work with it. Get your wood in June or July. Good seasoned wood will "ring" when you bang two pieces together. If it "clunks", it's wet. Wet wood not only burns ineffeciently (doesn't produce as much heat) but it will cause creosote to build up faster in your flu.

One last thing I'd recommend, find a reputable dealer that has a showroom with working stoves. We visited Sallys Hearth and Home in Pataskala during the winter and they had several units running. They are full service and provided us with the paperwork to file for our taxes after the install.

Good luck.

You can search the web for forums on wood burning like .

http://www.hearth.com/talk/

I have been burning for 10 years and my monthly heating bill is usually 12-20 dollars and thats for my gas stove and water.

If you do it right with dry good wood and a good stove. I usually add wood every 6-8 hours and at night I load the stove before I go to bed. I wake up after 8 hours and the stove is still burning and I just add wood before I get in the shower. If you find yourself adding wood ever 2-4 hours something is wrong.

It is a dry heat and its different than anything else. Downside is that it does have a lag meaning you need to wait for the stove to get hot before the house gets warm. Also if you over heat...you will need to wait till the stove cools and probably will need to open a window.Yes its work getting wood and cleaning the ash etc etc. If you don't know what your doing you can smoke yourself out or create a huge mess with ash. I learned a lot with mine and now I have people amazed that they don't smell smoke and its not that dirty.

make sure you get a good stove with a blower!!! There has been a lot of cheap crappy stoves flood the market lately.

Also if you don't know what your doing contact someone that is certified NFI (national fireplace institute) It makes a huge difference. I have one that draws air from outside to feed the fire and because of this we have no cold drafts just hot air coming from the unit. It heats our 2,000sqft house and my 3 car garage easily.

ours usually burns all winter and paid for itself in less than 2 years

we run the fan on the furnace and it helps to circulate some of the heat. You're still going to get cold spots in some of your rooms, but the money savings is worth it to me.

Definitely listen to the tips on seasoned wood, and don't believe these people selling wood in the fall that tell you its seasoned. Chances are they're landscapers that have picked up wood and left it uncut and unsplit in a pile somewhere until the end of their season when they have time to work with it. Get your wood in June or July. Good seasoned wood will "ring" when you bang two pieces together. If it "clunks", it's wet. Wet wood not only burns ineffeciently (doesn't produce as much heat) but it will cause creosote to build up faster in your flu.

Good luck.

Running the furnace fan is actually not as good unless you have one of the newest high efficiency furnaces. The blower motors are big energy hogs. Its actually better to get a couple fans. Ceiling fans work great for this or a couple oscillating fans.

Great information about the wood. It should sound like a musical instrument when hit together. Wet wood can burn but its a cold heat. Also spend some time and read what wood produces the most heat. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to firewood but I hate to have a cord of what I call gofor-wood meaning soon as I load the stove I go for more.

Edited by c7fx

Running the furnace fan is actually not as good unless you have one of the newest high efficiency furnaces. The blower motors are big energy hogs. Its actually better to get a couple fans. Ceiling fans work great for this.

Agreed! Our furnace fan isn't bad efficiency wise. I don't run it all the time because it just doesn't help that much. We have a ranch and the bedrooms get pretty cool since they're the furthest away. This summer if I get time I'm going to plumb in a cold air return over or behind the stove so I can get more warm air circulated.

are there places that will just install a nice proven setup so no experimentation is required (as in, I smoke the shit out of my house)? I'd consider a setup like this for my smaller, older house to supplement the high efficiency furnace.

are there places that will just install a nice proven setup so no experimentation is required (as in, I smoke the shit out of my house)? I'd consider a setup like this for my smaller, older house to supplement the high efficiency furnace.

Check out "the Place" in medina they have a huge showroom with many burning so you can get an idea of the heat and the sound of the blowers etc. Great people and very helpful