Riders Discount 2012 Triumph Daytona 675R AMA Daytona Sportbike Build

RidersDiscount

We are going to use this thread to document the build of our 2012 Triumph Daytona 675R's as we prepare for the Daytona 200. We have 4 weeks to take the bikes from showroom condition to AMA DSB spec.

Let the fun begin

triumph_675r_before-1.jpg

triumph_675r_before-4.jpg

Such a good looking bike, however we have plans for this girl!

triumph_675r_before-5.jpg

• Upvote 1

The upper fairing and head assembly was first to go

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-1.jpg

You can see Tim is removing the right side panel but the turn signal and R/R need to be unplugged

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-2.jpg

Bodywork removed

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-3.jpg

Tank is next to go

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-4.jpg

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-5.jpg

Not sure if it looks sexier with our without her skins

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-6.jpg

Nice shot under the tank and air box

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-7.jpg

Oh man I didn't even get that until you mentioned it. I thought Mike was referring to the seat as already being called for referencing the take off sale in the post above his. It's a bit hectic at work...

Don't worry, he won't crush your dreams in here. This is a dream crusher free zone.

Edited by RidersDiscount

It's really nice of you guys to do all this work on my bike this winter. I really appreciate it. :D

Actually, they would probably sell it to you on St. Patrick's day for the right price.

Check the facebook page. The 2013 model will be raced in round two. The bike pictured is a 2012.

I'm not sure if they'll strip the go-fast goodies and put them on the 2013 bike, or just sell the whole lot as a package, but everything is for sale for the right price!

Actually, they would probably sell it to you on St. Patrick's day for the right price.

Check the facebook page. The 2013 model will be raced in round two. The bike pictured is a 2012.

I'm not sure if they'll strip the go-fast goodies and put them on the 2013 bike, or just sell the whole lot as a package, but everything is for sale for the right price!

I already have one.

Most of it actually will not cross over due to fitment issues. Luckily our sponsors will help us out with parts for both the 12 and 13 models.

The parts bin keeps growing as the day goes on.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-10.jpg

Time for the stock exhaust to go...

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-13.jpg

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-14.jpg

... And it’s gone.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-16.jpg

Proper tools make jobs like this a whole lot easier.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-17.jpg

Stock Brembo's up front? Yes, please. They won't be going anywhere.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-18.jpg

Grinding down the rivets makes removing the masterlink for the chain quick and easy.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-19.jpg

The throttle bodies are one of the last pieces to be taken off before the motor can be pulled.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-21.jpg

Getting closer...

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-20.jpg

Here’s the motor as it sits now. It’s just waiting on the second bike to be stripped down and then the pair will be sent off to Hanshaw Racing Engines.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-24.jpg

Pulling the motor left behind a few wires that needed to be cleaned up.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-25.jpg

Once the wires were gone, we were left with a clean rolling frame.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-23.jpg

Here’s a nice view of the stock Ohlins TTX shock at the back, through the stock Ohlins forks up from.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-26.jpg

Next, the forks and wheels were removed.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-27.jpg

The parts bin is nearly full now that everything has been removed. The second bin is ready for bike number two.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-28.jpg

Now that the first bike is down to the frame, it’s time to start round two.

triumph_675r_day_1_tear_down-29.jpg

Here’s the motor as it sits now. It’s just waiting on the second bike to be stripped down and then the pair will be sent off to Hanshaw Racing Engines.

Tell Jamie that George says hi and to build him one too!

Now that the first frame has had a thorough service, we can start putting things back together - starting with the Attack triples, and a steering stabilizer from Scotts.

triumph_675r_day_2-11.jpg

Scotts makes a mount kit specifically for the Attack triple clamps and their adjustable offset.

triumph_675r_day_2-8.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if you could just buy a rolling chassis and motor straight from the factory? Obviously this isn't possible, but it seems like it would be a win win for both party's.

I don't know the logistics behind it, but will talk to the bossman on Monday to see if I can't get some more info as to this reasoning for you guys unless Desmo-Brian might have some insight into this as he's going through the same thing with Ducati?

two words:

assembly line.

I guess it wouldn't be too much work to pull a bike at X stage of the line, but my guess is that it wouldn't be nearly that simple. You'd have to skip certain steps rather than simply pull the bike off the line at step 10 or whatever.

that said, it would be sweet if you could just sort of "un-check" the options you know you're going to replace, that aren't essential for a rolling chassis.

buy the bike without bodywork, rearsets, levers, etc. You'd still need to buy the stock triple clamps, or it wouldn't exactly be shipable, but all the street stuff could just not be put on in the first place.

plus the Daytona Sportbike class is a production-based class. There may be something in the rules that says the bike has to begin life as a 'street legal' machine. It might even have to be subject to some kind of inspection before it leaves the factory.