Pope to Retire

imprez55

technically he is resigning because I don't actually think you can retire from being Pope. Its been so long since I've learned that shit though I could be wrong. The local news could also be wrong saying its been almost 600 years since the last Pope resigned

technically he is resigning because I don't actually think you can retire from being Pope. Its been so long since I've learned that shit though I could be wrong. The local news could also be wrong saying its been almost 600 years since the last Pope resigned

technically yes, its resign and not retire.

Last papal resignation:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation

last voluntary resignation: http://live.reuters.com/Event/Pope_resigns/63116625

From what I am reading on Facebook (from people who actually give a shit about who the Pope is), Benedict criticized John Paul II for not resigning when his health became an obstacle to full performance of his duties.

Not stepping down himself would be hypocritical ...not that the Catholic church has ever had a major objection to hypocrisy in other facets of life, but I think it's a relevant point.

The other thing that has been brought up is the "Guiliani effect." Resignation gives Benedict the opportunity to campaign for his own successor, which is unheard of in the modern era of the church.

At this point in my life, I expect nothing from the church but the same old same old. I don't care who the new Pope is until he starts surprising me by making sense.