Sportbike suggestions needed for 5 foot 100 pound female

JohnG

Something no one has mentioned is that the seat heights being stated are static heights, read no one on the bike. Once you're on it will sag some so the seat height will obviously be a little less than what you're reading it as. Think of an MX bike with lots of travel, you almost have to jump on the damn thing because it's seat height is so high. But once you're on it you can sit almost flat footed.

They have a Ninja 300 now if you're not interested in the 250cc variety. And they look good as opposed to the 250's out there.

Also, you can lower anything you get. If you don't plan on getting it to the track then I don't see the harm. Get whatever you please and lower it an inch or two. That and you can always shave the seat to get lower to the ground as well.

This is the focal point of my opinion. She's not a newb. She's not a midget. She's not a little girl. She can probably ride any bike she wants' date=' honestly. Inseam is a big factor for ride height. Almost as important as confidence and ambition. Almost.[/quote']

^^^ This.

Thanks for all the input so far! Knew you'd all step up to the plate. She ought to be along soon to read thru and most likely pass her questions on to me, but who knows? Maybe she'll join the madness.

At any rate, not sure what her inseam is right now. And I totally agree and know she would too that she just needs to go sit a few and see what works.

And price range, I'm not sure about.

She might get bored quickly with the 250/300 Ninja's. Good luck. Mary

I think she'd get bored with the 250 ish size bikes also... She mentioned that she had seen a CB500 somewhere...

Looks like by seat height the FZ6R, SVF650 and CB500F are all a little over 30".

Same as the GS500 and Ninja250R.

The last 2 are a little lighter and perhaps narrower but no real seat height difference.

Modern super sports appear to be a couple inches higher. Makes sense if you want to maximize lean angle.

Craig

i'm going to recommend the SV650 (03 and up, if it were me, and depending on budget). lower seat height than most 600's, better power than 250/500 (since it sounds like she knows how to ride a bike), excellent resale in case she falls out of love with it, and great for parts availability in case she falls with it.

check out this website. click on the options link and you can have the rider put their feet on the ground. I don't know how complete the bike list is but I'm sure it offer hours of entertainment. ;)

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Mary

That site is a lot of fun (But links to the pictures do not work :) )

Interesting, the ZX-14 appears to be pretty good ergonomics for a short rider.

As expected super sports look to be very uncomfortable.

The DRZ400S leaves the feet dangling well off the ground :D (but they dont account for the extra sag and narrow seat on the dual sport)

Now I usually use that site for figuring out how folded up my 34" inseam is going to be on a bike. As Ive yet to find a bike where reaching the ground was a problem :D

Craig