Picked up a New Car - 2013 Veloster

abdecal

I had the 2012 model, Dual clutch. Wasn't crazy about the dual clutch transmission since it was a little laggy getting going from a start. Not bad, you just had to adjust and hit the accelerator a little early to give it time to get into 1st.

5 months after I got it (was my first new car ever, after getting my first job out of college), I got rear ended by an uninsured driver on my way to work while I was completely stopped at a red light on Hamilton.

He had at least a good ~40-50+ car lengths to see stopped traffic, no idea wtf he was doing. Probably messing around on his phone.

Anyway, in February I ended up with a 2013 Manual Turbo version. Since my dealerships worked with our family a lot, I got a very good deal on my trade in (over blue-book despite being in an accident). I love the turbo, seat warmers, adjustable lumbar support, all leather seats, etc.

Here it is:

vel2web.jpg

vel1web.jpg

Rear, not my car obviously:

Veloster-Turbo-2_2354070b.jpg

Not the fastest or best handling hatch, but unless they're going to bring the VW Scirocco or Renault Megane 265 RS state side, this is more or less the next best thing. Plus, it's pretty fully loaded cheaper than more performance oriented cars like the Focus ST and Mazdaspeed 3. It's enough for me to have fun with for a cage and is a good daily driver, plus the warranty can't be beat.

Dont they make them with the Turbo too? I've been interested in hearing about the quality of Hyundai as of late, more from personal references than like commercials. Seems their rides look sweet and are built really solid now.

Keep us updated.

Hyundai's improved vastly in the last 5-10 years. The Elantra has won car of the year from a few publications a few years in a row I believe.

Edited by 8Rider6

THIS is a great looking car. I stopped in on Rt4 last winter, looked at a Veloster, went for a test drive. It wouldn't get out of its own way, which I guess is the trade off for good gas mileage.

I owned a 04 Mazda 3 2.3 auto non-turbo and LOVEDDDDD that car. Rode well, handled awesome, and had enough ooomph to be fun.

But now you say there's a turbo Veloster? May have to stop by the dealer again....

I had the 2012 model, Dual clutch. Wasn't crazy about the dual clutch transmission since it was a little laggy getting going from a start. Not bad, you just had to adjust and hit the accelerator a little early to give it time to get into 1st.

5 months after I got it (was my first new car ever, after getting my first job out of college), I got rear ended by an uninsured driver on my way to work while I was completely stopped at a red light on Hamilton.

Hyundai has come a long way. I remember a friend of mine having one in the late 90's @ Ft. Riley, and it was basically plastic on 4 wheels.

Drove a late 80s Excel in college.

It was cheap, felt flimbsy, was noisy on the road, exhausting to drive, a pain to work on and utterly reliable. :)

When I went back to get an advanced degree I drove a Geo Metro, and despite being considerably smaller it was a much more solid car and got incredible mpg (50). Only downside was handling. It was scary at highway speeds.

That Veloster is a nice looking car. Im sure the Hyndai's of today are much improved from those early ones, and they were not bad for reliability.

Craig

But now you say there's a turbo Veloster? May have to stop by the dealer again....

Yep, my white one pictured above is the turbo. After having both, the turbo needless to say is the way to go, IMO. With the Elantra GT, I sort of feel like the N/A Veloster is almost pointless besides looking better, and maybe a few interior features the GT is missing, but not 100% sure.

I was trying to convince a friend of mine to test drive the celoster turbo this past weekend.

He bought a Dart turbo instead. It's an "okay" car. Not very quick, but neat features on the 8.4" screen. I would have at least driven the celoster with a manual first. You can't find darts with the turbo AND a manual. The dual clutch automatic isn't bad, but man is that 1.4 liter a slug off boost.