You can tell when college classes let out...

JohnG

Traffic must decrease by about 30 percent on 315 when Ohio State starts spring break. I can't help but think that the city could work out something with the university to decrease the number of kids commuting. Alleviate congestion, decrease accidents, etc. And isn't the university missing revenue from dormitory rent that commuters don't pay? Granted, it's been a long time since I went to Ohio State, but I took the bus every day from the East side cause we couldn't afford on-campus housing OR parking and gas for me to drive.

Just sayin...

Yeah, on campus living is super expensive. All of the housing around campus is either shitty landlords or shitty living conditions. idk why its so expensive to live on campus, but honestly, the whole sharing a living space with people that you don't know well gets really old, really fast.

I've had such a bad experience with parking that I dont even bother getting the pass anymore either. I just park off campus and walk in.

I don't know why its some damn expensive to live on campus. You'd think they'd WANT students there. :cool:

because the costs to house students is outrageous. The insurance alone has to be such a ridiculous expense

The insurance alone has to be such a ridiculous expense

Yeah, I didn't think of that. But there's a rant about insurance that I could have, too. People bitch about how big oil price gouges people but it seems nobody ever bitches about how insurer's use any excuse to raise the rates. :nono:

Yeah, I didn't think of that. But there's a rant about insurance that I could have, too. People bitch about how big oil price gouges people but it seems nobody ever bitches about how insurer's use any excuse to raise the rates. :nono:

liability insurance is a whole different animal than vehicle insurance. You think coverage for your bike is bad, you don't even wanna know what liability insurance for a medium or high risk company is. A college dormitory would be an extremely high risk thing to insure

liability insurance is a whole different animal than vehicle insurance. You think coverage for your bike is bad, you don't even wanna know what liability insurance for a medium or high risk company is. A college dormitory would be an extremely high risk thing to insure

But nothing dangerous ever happens in a dormitory...

Campus living is expensive because there is a known demand, and relatively small supply. Simple economics.

While it's not "insurance" per se, over charging also helps pad the losses caused by tenant damage.

It would be an interesting experiment to build a student housing complex a ways off campus and operate a private bus line to target students.

Dayton had "campus South" in the 70's that was a single apartment building off campus. Since then, the campus has sprawled and engulfed the campus south building, but the original idea was similar to what I'm suggesting. A secondary residential community that consolidates students in an area where they can share resources without being on campus.

Campus living is expensive because there is a known demand, and relatively small supply. Simple economics.

While it's not "insurance" per se, over charging also helps pad the losses caused by tenant damage.

campus is expensive because there are these invisible force fields at certain streets that keep you from getting stabbed. So the supply is kept low because of shitty law enforcement in the university district.

really how many kids do you think are commuting? id wager that the majority of students live either ON campus or just east of high in the neighborhood.

im sure there is a decent number of commuters, but you gotta also think its not just students. there's staff and faculty too. sure some of them are coming in regardless of break, but im sure a decent amount of employees are taking the week off too.

really how many kids do you think are commuting? id wager that the majority of students live either ON campus or just east of high in the neighborhood.

im sure there is a decent number of commuters, but you gotta also think its not just students. there's staff and faculty too. sure some of them are coming in regardless of break, but im sure a decent amount of employees are taking the week off too.

that is correct.