Aftermarket TPMS?

Scruit

I honestly don't think it's worth the cost or the maintenance nightmare. Every time you change a tire you risk damaging or destroying the sensor. I've seen more than I can count break off and you can hear it when the wheel goes around. Or mechanical a that broke them then rigged them back up and put the tire on anyway. Just hit it with a pressure gauge once a week.

TireRack has some good setups on their website. If your car is already equipped with TPMS, you can get another set of monitors and just program them when you swap your wheels out. If not, you have to get a complete system with a monitor that looks kind of like a GPS you mount in the car somewhere. I looked into this on my wife's car before we got her new one that came with TPMS installed.

I have a 2011 SUbaru Legacy. I bought a set of steel rims, tire sensors and Blizack tires from Tire Rack. My tire light stays on all winter, even with the sensors. The system needs to be "re-learned" each time the summer tires are added, or the winter tires are added. From a Subaru forum NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) the Subaru only has one "channel" to monitor the tire pressure sensors.

SO, since the summer tires have the Subaru factory tire pressure sensors, the reciever part of the car is looking for those "summer" sensors.

I would have save the cost of the 4 tires sensors from Tire rack, since the end result for me is the tire pressure monitor light is still on in the winter.

The other option is to have the dealer, or a service shop "re-learn" the current sensors. The subaru dealer wanted to charge $35 each time I brought the car in for the "re-learn"

Yes they are required on new vehicles and tire shop told me they couldn't sell me a set of wheels for my yaris to put snow tires without functioning tpms sensors by law. I thought that was a rip off. As far as aftermarket the only ones I've ever seen reviews on were the doran systems a lot of people run them on bikes not sure what they have for cars if they even have any but a lot of people are happy with the bike system.

my buddy works at a garage and took the sensors out of his explorer wheels put them in a container he made with pvc pipe and pressurized it to 35lbs and threw them in back with the jack never reads low never needs to worry about sensors breaking or needing rebuilt.