Costly Mistake...

Chrome

I am willing to go the extra mile for any company that i work for. But, when they start taking avantage of you and you dont see an end in sight it is time to cut ties and move on.

Shitty is right in what he is saying. I did learn a lot from last positions that i have held. Looking back on the whole situation i would have never left the first job. But you never know until you try it. It has been a learning experience for me and my family. Stressful along the way, but learned a lot of life lessons from the whole ordeal. I guess that is the most important part.

Im not sure I agree with Jack. When you have a job already, then yes you devalued yourself and should have negotiated. But since you had no job at the time, ANY money is better than none and trying to "sweeten the deal" may cause them to pass you up for someone who would take less. I went through a similar situation a few months back where I left a stable job for something that payed much more and got screwed. I spent almost 2 months without a job and about went crazy trying to find anything I could just t pay the bills. Ended up going back to Best Buy for a couple months where I was able to pay the bills(barely) and find an IT gig where I negotiated the salary I wanted. I did this with 3 different places before one accepted what I wanted.

...But, when they start taking avantage of you and you dont see an end in sight it is time to cut ties and move on.

Hopeful, you can still move on to something that fits you perfectly. Just keep looking while you continue to work where you are. If something promising comes up, you can check it out.

I started out at Lowes. I was there for 4 years running different departments (hardware,lumber, and millwork). I left there to work for a custom design and build porch and patio company. Don want to mention who it was. I was the project/production manager for them. I was I charge of production of 5 crews. I initiated an online program to track the crews, and was let go shortly after the owner had a grasp on how to use it. I was off for 7 weeks. I took a job with Ohio Mulch as a store manager. I was told there were full benefits and it would be 40-45 hrs a week. After a few weeks I went to sign up for benefits and they only offer dental and vision. Wtf? I have a family that I want to have covered. I went back to my old store manager at lowes and talked to him about returning. I took a lesser position as a commercial sales delivery driver and now start on Monday. I will have benefits and a schedule that is more realistic for me and my family.

I would entertain offers at this point. But do need a company that offers benefits and a somewhat steady schedule.

I started out at Lowes. I was there for 4 years running different departments (hardware,lumber, and millwork). I left there to work for a custom design and build porch and patio company. Don want to mention who it was. I was the project/production manager for them. I was I charge of production of 5 crews. I initiated an online program to track the crews, and was let go shortly after the owner had a grasp on how to use it. I was off for 7 weeks. I took a job with Ohio Mulch as a store manager. I was told there were full benefits and it would be 40-45 hrs a week. After a few weeks I went to sign up for benefits and they only offer dental and vision. Wtf? I have a family that I want to have covered. I went back to my old store manager at lowes and talked to him about returning. I took a lesser position as a commercial sales delivery driver and now start on Monday. I will have benefits and a schedule that is more realistic for me and my family.

I would entertain offers at this point. But do need a company that offers benefits and a somewhat steady schedule.

Go work at Menards. Their department managers make 70 after a couple years. Talk to Joey, the gm, at the morse road store

If someone asks you if "you ever have one of those days" and you answer "everyday" then you need to move on.

Unfortunately that's where I'm at right now. Thankfully I have a supportive wife and if I find the right PT gig that will let me focus on developing the photo biz, I have the green light.

In 2002 I left one bank for another bank based on a recommendation from someone I mistakenly trusted. Eight months later was out of job 10 days before my oldest was born. Not fun telling my wife that when she was that close to her due date.

Took a temp gig working in retail. A job I never would wish on my worst enemy.

I started out at Lowes. I was there for 4 years running different departments (hardware,lumber, and millwork). ..... I went back to my old store manager at lowes and talked to him about returning. I took a lesser position as a commercial sales delivery driver and now start on Monday. I will have benefits and a schedule that is more realistic for me and my family.

You are skilled and knowledgeable and they know it. They see you as an asset and will consider that, when a vacancy opens. You are a resource they will keep on the back burner until they need you. It's at that point in which you can say, I'll do this for you in exchange for you doing this for me.

Ask for more than you know they will give, and settle for more than you were getting before. Make them understand that, you moving back into a position similar to your old one is more a favor to them and for doing so, you have needs beyond what your previous compensation package was suitable for.

You are skilled and knowledgeable and they know it. They see you as an asset

Dude, it's retail. You're seen as a easily-replaceable cog, even more so in the last few years with the higher unemployment and larger labor pool. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of upward mobility in that position, especially if the powers-that-be there view you as someone who will jump ship again at another "opportunity". I'd follow up on the Menards thing, though.

Dude, it's retail. You're seen as a easily-replaceable cog, even more so in the last few years with the higher unemployment and larger labor pool. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of upward mobility in that position, especially if the powers-that-be there view you as someone who will jump ship again at another "opportunity". I'd follow up on the Menards thing, though.

This unfortunately is true. It is retail and the replacements come and go daily. Last time i worked there there was a guy who was a chemical engineer who was a loader. There are people who need jobs that are way over qualified for the positions they are applying for. Like Cheech said you are easily replaceable. You may bring some value to the table but the guy behind you may bring more and he is willing to settle for less. I will settle for now while i get some other things in line.

Lol you got a reply in before I did.