A Tale of Two Triumphs

jbot

Just took the bikes to the dyno today. I was pretty happy with the results of my bike, but something was just not right with jbot's bike. It was down a little on hp from where it should be at. We haven't got a chance to try and dig into it to see what the problem might be though.

A video of one of my runs, glowing red headers always look cool! I suck at embedding, so click the link....

Dyno numbers vary from machine to machine, but the important part was the baseline compared to the final run. Started at 104 hp and finished at 118.3 with a WAY smoother graph. The torque curve was all messed up because his tach pickup wasn't working so he didn't print it out, but torque was at 52 ft/lbs. final vs. 48 start.

DynoRun_zps7878b353.jpg

What sucks is I upgrade my bike and it seems everyone else is too. I will probably have the least amount of HP again.

I wouldn't worry about it, you got skillz! More hp doesn't make up for my poor riding. Honestly I'm surprised Todd wanted to move me up, there's other faster riders that he's going to let stay in novice. He said I'm "consistent" though....

No worries...see my sig. Did you pay for your license yet? Wondering if you get the same talk I did.

What?!! Congrats, bro! I did not buy my license yet, but I just talked to Todd like a week ago about tires and he didn't say anything. We actually talked specifically about who was moving up, and I was not one of them. So pretty sure I will still be a novice this year.

That actually kind of sucks because I was looking forward to battling with you all year, damn. Hopefully Cox and Mikey make it out a bit this year.

That actually kind of sucks because I was looking forward to battling with you all year, damn. Hopefully Cox and Mikey make it out a bit this year.

Simple solution, move yourself up! :D

Just cause I'll have white plates instead of yellow isn't going to mean I'm any faster. You'll just have to work a little harder to catch me since I'll be getting a head start.

Simple solution, move yourself up! :D

Just cause I'll have white plates instead of yellow isn't going to mean I'm any faster. You'll just have to work a little harder to catch me since I'll be getting a head start.

I am not moving myself up. Here's to hoping for one wave starts!

Took them to Hord Power in Bucyrus, OH which is pretty close to Mid-O. The owner JD is pretty experienced with Triumphs and tuned them with TuneECU (freeware). So no need to buy a Power Commander/TuneBoy/Bazzaz, etc. He charges $100 an hour to tune, and it took him just over an hour but he only charged us for 1. Can't beat that, $100 for a custom tune!

he wouldn't give me that supersport build 675 engine that was just sitting there doing nothing for some reason despite my engine woes. he said it only made like 120-something hp.

kinda bummed about the lackluster numbers (105hp. apparently, 114-115 is the norm) though, i think that's about what the zx6r is putting out. i'm more concerned about the suspension being ok than the engine though, so we'll see how the first weekend goes.

the GPR mount i got direct from GPR also didn't fit, but that should be an easy fix, unless GPR finds a way to fuck that up too.

other than those minor details, once we get the painted plastics back, we should be ready to go. oh, there is the safety wiring too, but i'm saving that atrocity for last.

Marty, for the record I AM THE KING of HJ's, not craig. He just has a lot of blue balls, well not anymore, but you know what I mean.

Man just found out there's a big dirt race the same weekend as Nelson's first round, but told dad I had promised too many BJs and HJs to go back on my word now. So I will be there. Ugh, I need to reset my suspension too, hpefully I can locate my settings I wrote down.

i emailed gpr yesterday about the base not fitting, and they emailed me today with a tracking number for the replacement base and letting me know they put a pre-paid return label for the incorrect base.

that's good service right thar

JD Hord is the man....back when I was building my Hawk I bought a bunch of OEM and aftermarket parts off of him plus got to meet the legend in person at his shop - great guy - and also to see (more like drool over) some of the unique builds he had on hand.