Good Shop/Tech for Road Force Balance in Cleveland

mike884

Picked up a 94 miata, looking to see if any knows of a good shop with a hunter road force balancer in cleveland and has a tech willing/capable to get it balanced under 10 lbs per wheel if possible. I would just go down the road, but speaking Miata and persuading your local firestone to get that good of a balance is always a fun time and I'd rather skip the BS. Let me know, thanks!

-mike

unless something has changed, which it probably has... it was my understanding that there is a set point for shops thats "good enough" , like say 20lbs, which is probably fine for 99.8% of vehicles ..... but if you specify what you want... they will work on it and attempt to get it to a lower number. If one is 15 lbs, and another is 8 , etc etc I can work with that, but its that "good enough" that I don't want.

and I do believe there is 2 steps to it no? the initial where the machine checks runout and such and the bead is to be broken and the tire rotated on the wheel, then the next is your standard weights balancing. correct? I do guess though if the machine dosen't let it you do a half ass job, then i guess you can't..... it isn't like a spin balance i suppose.

Edited by mike884

Seems like you could balance the wheel and find the heavy spot then balance the tire and find the heavy spot. then put those on opposite sides and have a really well balanced combo with minor amounts of weights. this is all speculation on I know very little about balancing wheels.

I have a road force. But getting a tire under 10lbs of spring rate is t possible unless it just happens. You can't change the spring rate of the tire. Road force is normally set to alert anything passed 26lbs. But that's what it is. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Now are you looking for wheel weights or the spring rates of the tires. There is a difference. If you balance a tire and the weights call for more then 3lbs (on a standard size tire) there is a problem with the rim or tire. 10lbs of weight on a wheel is a ton of weight.

You'll get the infamous Miata 60 mph wobble if you don't get a good balance. Join Miata.net and you should be able to find a good shop. There is also an Ohio Miata Owners facebook group that can give you a lot of info. Miata people are a lot like bike people when it comes to lending help

• 1 year later...