2013 Pepper Thread

AWW$HEEET

So after starting really late last year, and not having any plants bear fruit until september/oct, I decided I would hit this year fairly hard.

I have some seeds coming in the mail, those include carolina reapers, moruga, trinidad scorpions, ghosts, naga vipers, chiles, habaneros, and giant jalapenos. My plans are to grow as many plants as I can in containers, transplant the others into the ground, and maybe sell a few plants off.

Ultimately I am hoping to brew a fairly hoppy, bigger IPA, and create a pepper beer with a few of the peppers, dry some peppers, can some peppers, and possibly go to the local farm market with the rest. Anyone else have any similar aspirations? Pics to come.

You're behind, I started my indoor plants a month ago.

Ok, maybe you're good on your timing, my cucumber plants are already flowering :-/

I would like to change up my peppers from last year, but haven't found any seeds that interest me. I had "habaneros" last year that weren't hot at all.

Ok, maybe you're good on your timing, my cucumber plants are already flowering :-/

I would like to change up my peppers from last year, but haven't found any seeds that interest me. I had "habaneros" last year that weren't hot at all.

My understanding is that much of the difference in heat is due to growing conditions (soils, climate, water, fertilizer)

Im guessing hotter, drier conditions, probably with less fertilizer will produce fewer but hotter peppers, however you probably want to research that.

Im lazy and just pick up what ever plants they have available from the local farm market. Due to lots of trees on our small lot the only sun I get in on a small section of flat roof. So I grow my peppers in large pots. Gets me enough for a few batches of fresh salsa and a couple stir frys.

Craig

Id rather be a little behind than ahead at this point. I think last frost is usually May (?), these seeds will have essentially 5-6 weeks for germination, and hardening off, which should put me right spot on for transplant.

If they don't end up going in until the first week of May, I'll still be ok.

I planted in May and most of my plants didn't start really producing until almost October. I think it had something to do with how ridiculously dry it was last year. Idk, seeds are cheap, I figured I would start early and see if I could do better this year.

I planted in May and most of my plants didn't start really producing until almost October. I think it had something to do with how ridiculously dry it was last year. Idk, seeds are cheap, I figured I would start early and see if I could do better this year.

That is really odd. I started some seeds in June, and I think they produced in mid/late september.

Maybe less water before harvest. Supposedly makes them hotter. Some of mine were not hot at all till dried out and then they were plenty hot. I wanted peppers, not powder.

Definitely a late start, mine were seeded a couple of weeks ago and I thought that was a bit late. (Indoors under lights.)

edit: I lost half the vincas, for not giving them a chance to adapt to a change... tsk. Still got enough. Can always buy flats.

Edited by ReconRat

I grew chicken hearts and fish peppers a few years ago. The chicken hearts were super hot, the fish peppers were hot too, but not as much. I planted in early may and had peppers by July. If you can find them the fish pepper is a really cool plant, it has partial albinoism so some of the leaves are white, some green, some half and half. The peppers are white and green at first, then some turn orange, others red or purple.

Maybe less water before harvest. Supposedly makes them hotter. Some of mine were not hot at all till dried out and then they were plenty hot. I wanted peppers, not powder.

Definitely a late start, mine were seeded a couple of weeks ago and I thought that was a bit late. (Indoors under lights.)

edit: I lost half the vincas, for not giving them a chance to adapt to a change... tsk. Still got enough. Can always buy flats.

got any pics of your garden last year, or your peppers that you have started now?

got any pics of your garden last year, or your peppers that you have started now?

Not sure what I took pictures of last year. I'll check the camera later. The peppers this year are just started, give it a bit to gain some green.

Kinda silly, I grew ornamental peppers last year. All multi-color or black leaves, stuff like that. They were supposed to be edible and hot, but I lost interest in eating them.

Edited by ReconRat

i dont give my habaneros much water, it makes them hotter.

I grew chicken hearts and fish peppers a few years ago. The chicken hearts were super hot, the fish peppers were hot too, but not as much. I planted in early may and had peppers by July. If you can find them the fish pepper is a really cool plant, it has partial albinoism so some of the leaves are white, some green, some half and half. The peppers are white and green at first, then some turn orange, others red or purple.

I'd like to try these just to say we have chicken hearts and fish peckers growing in the garden

jalepeno pepper :

picture.php?albumid=1664&pictureid=17278

Two Jalepenos and a cucumber (or maybe squash... can't remember!!) plantpicture.php?albumid=1664&pictureid=17277

Tomato, basil, sweet pepper:

picture.php?albumid=1664&pictureid=17276

I'm trying something a little different this year. I planted the seeds right in the ground last year. This year, I've got a little compost thing going on in the bottom of each of these and a couple of worms hopefully aiding the process. Idk if it will work or not, but I'm giving it a shot.

Edited by OsuMj

This year I'm growing these:

Black prince, nice and hot and cool plants with the black foliage, the peppers almost look like blueberries

seedsblackcuban.jpg

Takanotsume, also good and hot, but grow in these clusters that stick straight up out of the plant, good for cooking.

takanotsume.jpg

and then Carolina Reapers, trinidad morugas, and some poblanos and jalapenos for making burritos.

This year I'm growing these:

Black prince, nice and hot and cool plants with the black foliage, the peppers almost look like blueberries

seedsblackcuban.jpg

Takanotsume, also good and hot, but grow in these clusters that stick straight up out of the plant, good for cooking.

takanotsume.jpg

and then Carolina Reapers, trinidad morugas, and some poblanos and jalapenos for making burritos.

Nice! Did you grow reapers and morugas last yr? Any tips on growing them? Ive read alot online so far, so I think I should be ok.

I didn't grow reapers last year, but I grew plenty of ghosts and other peppers. The biggest problems with these harder to grow peppers are usually getting them to germinate, and then the transition from indoors to outside. For germination you can use a heat pad to keep the soil temp higher, and for the transition just slowly expose the potted young plants to more and more sun/wind outdoors gradually until you can plant them out in the garden. I usually put them outside in their small pots for a few hours a day, gradually increasing time outside over 3-7 days to help get the plants used to the elements. Also make sure your soil has good drainage, I sometimes mix sand in with mine to help.

Also while still seedlings inside be careful to rotate the pots near any windows so the plants don't get too "leggy" reaching out toward the sunlight. You want nice compact seedlings. Any other questions we can talk sometime, and anyone in here can share updates on their plants so we all know what to look for as the season goes.

Lastly, as said before, stress makes hotter peppers. Less water and more heat later in season will give you a hotter fruit.

If you need any help making that pepper IPA, let me know, sounds like a good concept. The Stone 11.11.11 belgian strong with anaheim chiles is a damn good beer, but the carolina reaper flavor should work well with the hops (might have to cut out some of the seeds/pith to keep the heat reasonable for a beer).

I just bought some organic peppers from burpee.com, they have free shipping promo code: AFFSHIPPER, and 15% off: GARDEN15. I think they expire today!

I bought Pepperoncini (Mildly hot), Red Habenero (hot), and Nardella (sweet smokey flavor).

Edited by OsuMj

I couldn't resist, I went back and bought hot fish too. They just shipped, so I should have them soon. I'm pretty excited!

On a side note, did anyone know it takes 2 years for asparagus to reach "maturity" ? and 3 years for a decent harvest?! Crazy.

update: got the peppers into their peat pods for germination. i did some kale and spinach too. I put all this in on March 30th. None of the peppers have sprouted, but ALL of the spinach pods have growth, lol. i would say that on about the 3rd day, the first of the spinach had sprouted. i was fairly impressed it came up quick.

I will provide pictures once my first pepper starts sprouting. im kinda wanting to see what variety will sprout first...