Starting a restaurant

Tigerpaw

Dude you live right down the road from a Chicago Dogs and Gyros...They're gyros arent that great and are reallly greasy, but the chicago dogs are good. not he best but good.
^^^ ^^^^^^

NinjaNick, try Chicago Gyros and Dogs

(937) 253-5301

520 Wilmington Avenue

Dayton, OH 45420

Next to a doughnut shop and Radio Shack

Hmm, never seen it or heard of it. I will head that way this weekend and try a hotdog and a gyro.

Wow, I am close to it!

This is from my directions on google maps: 1.9 mi, 6 mins<--:eek:

Isn't there a huge failure rate for this type of biz?

Combined with long hours, small chance of huge success, inspections, licensing, large start up costs and hassle.

I can't imagine this being a good idea.

However, if this is your dream, I recommend you make the food taste great and the atmosphere (and food) be cool and different. Be weird! Everyone eats out most meals these days and we are constantly looking for something different.

You could also work in one of those joints for a while, pay attention to what works and what doesn't, and make your mistakes on someone else's time!

Good luck in your planning and future venture. Definitely try to incorporate a unique theme or something different, gives folks a reason to check it out. Get a liquor license, serve good chow, host bike nights, and park some cool bikes inside - you'll make money

You can get a true Chicago dog at Scruffy's in Springboro. Check it out.

I too have thought of doing something like this but I am convinced you need to go upscale as a Charcuterie and do "adult" dogs. That means old world style sausages with really good bread and toppings. Do it up SUbway style where you come in and pick your bread, sausage (grilled, boiled, fried), toppings and done. #1, you have to sell beer with dem brauts. Add in some really good meat sandwiches.

Check out Hot Dougs in Chicago www.hotdougs.com

Good Dog/Bad Dog in Portland (sucks that they moved to the airport) http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/24/1685165/restaurant/Northeast/Good-Dog-Bad-Dog-Portland

and the granddaddy of them all, Brat Stop in WI. http://www.bratstop.com/

You can get a true Chicago dog at Scruffy's in Springboro. Check it out.

I too have thought of doing something like this but I am convinced you need to go upscale as a Charcuterie and do "adult" dogs. That means old world style sausages with really good bread and toppings. Do it up SUbway style where you come in and pick your bread, sausage (grilled, boiled, fried), toppings and done. #1, you have to sell beer with dem brauts. Add in some really good meat sandwiches.

Check out Hot Dougs in Chicago www.hotdougs.com

Good Dog/Bad Dog in Portland (sucks that they moved to the airport) http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/24/1685165/restaurant/Northeast/Good-Dog-Bad-Dog-Portland

and the granddaddy of them all, Brat Stop in WI. http://www.bratstop.com/

Don't forget duck fat fries!

You could also work in one of those joints for a while, pay attention to what works and what doesn't, and make your mistakes on someone else's time!

This makes sense to me. Also create a food challenge to get on M.v.F..

I was probably thinking much smaller than y'all are imagining. I picture an indoor setup just barely bigger than a "stand" or food truck.

City of Dayton is promoting "pop up" store fronts downtown as a way to develop the area. She just heard about this and I don't know the particulars.