Don't Assume

sporttour

While getting ready to instruct a Motorcycle Ohio class on the Hilltop last Saturday, I low-sided one of the training bikes while traveling 12 to 15 miles per hour. This accident resulted in three broken ribs and two suspected fractured ribs.

The factors involved in this accident include, cold tires, cold pavement, new tires and lean angle. While staging the bikes for class, I failed to notice some of the bikes had new front tires. My assumption that the tires were seasoned is costing me six to eight weeks of riding and instruction time.

Don't assume.

Damn dude! Take care out there. This just reaffirms for me my new tire purchase will have a little slick coating on them and I need to take it easy.

You need anything let me know, your not but about a 45 minute ride for me.

Ouch! Heal up, man.

I just completed the Lee Parks Total Control L1/L2 course down in Lexington, KY, this past Wed/Thur. It was VERY tiring trying to execute the teaching maneuvers in a flat parking lot at speeds of 30-40 MPH at most. What was really an eye-opener was that there were a couple get-offs, prolly at between 20 and 30 MPH. One of the riders ended up with a broken collarbone, and BOTH riders had significant road rash on the front/sides of their helmets. Even at those low speeds--relative to street speeds--they would have been seriously injured if not dead had they not been wearing gear.

I've been a gear freak for years, but always assumed that I could 'control my body' and protect myself in a low-speed crash, but I'm a wiser man now. :eek:

Factory fresh tires have mold release agent on them, makes em slippery. A rag soaked in acetone will take it off.

tire companies have not use mold release for quite some time a pirelli rep said so in a magazine interview. there are also other myths about tires he said are not true.

1. race tires on the street will never have less grip than a street tire.

2. mold release is not used in the industry anymore.

3. there is no such thing as a 100 mile break in period

4. tires only need heat to work nothing else. (no need to worry about a break in period)

they didn't mention what the oily stuff is on a tire but it's not mold release.

Edited by serpentracer

Sorry for your mishap. Heal fast. I don't believe that mold release is the culprit with new tires anymore. The problem is that new tires are particularly slippery until they have gone through several heat cycles. Cold tires will always offer less traction than warm ones but new cold tires are the worst.

Sucks to hear. But honestly, probably better it was you than a learning rider. You know what went wrong and will get back in the saddle asap, a new rider may have been scared out of a new lust in life. Heal up and get back out there!

Thanks everyone. I attribute my total lack of bruising to the armor in my Aerostich jacket. The jacket will be sent back to Aerostich for repair.

I do agree, better I than a student. But having had several get-offs in the past, including a 40mph impact into a left turning car, this one feels the worst. I guess it sucks being a little-less-young.

George - Are you the same George that taught the MSF course at Delaware Area Career Center/JVS on Rt23 just south of the city back in 2004-2005 time period?

While I was taking that course the instructor low-sided a bike in some oil spilled by a car, but was able to bounce back up (literally, epic recovery) and continue teaching.