Lowering my r6

Mr Anderson

At 5'7" and a whole inch taller, I can't believe you would need to lower the R6. My 675 has a much higher seat height and its not an issue. You can get shorter/narrower seats and get some proper riding boots with a nice thick sole and you should be good.

If you must lower it, realize you are messing with the suspension geometry. Read up on it, and make sure you're lowering the front by raising the forks through the triple clamps so that the front is lowered equally. People say don't lower it, yet some of the short AMA riders do it and I bet their bikes handle just fine. But they've done a lot to keep rake/trail at proper angles and ratios.

I just found out that people have different inseams and sometimes weigh different amount. So maybe you have a long inseam for your height or maybe you weigh more.

I have ridden with many people on this site and lets be honest most cant ride for shit. Lower it if you have too

I just found out that people have different inseams and sometimes weigh different amount. So maybe you have a long inseam for your height or maybe you weigh more.

I have ridden with many people on this site and lets be honest most cant ride for shit. Lower it if you have too

Thanks Shitty. I know you have seen me ride. Riding is not the problem here. I will just hop off and push it back lol.

Thanks Shitty. I know you have seen me ride. Riding is not the problem here. I will just hop off and push it back lol.

It's a new bike lowering it will give you more confidence when stopped and better footing when reversing and probably keep you from dropping your nice shiny bike. If it gives you piece of mind then lower it do not listen to all the haters. I'd wager that probably 99% of the people telling you not to lower it have never ridden a lowered bike. The handling change if any is not even going to be noticeable if you lower both front and back the same.

The handling change if any is not even going to be noticeable if you lower both front and back the same.

It will at speed as you are going to shorten the wheelbase. Riding though town will probably never notice, hitting the twisties at speed the bike will get twitchy.

I'm not sure how you say lowering is going to shorten his wheelbase? If he only lowers the rear then it will slow the turn in a tad. Lowering both front and rear equal amounts it feels and handles the same. Like someone else said if you were at the track then you may notice some negative affects but doubtful if you would on the street unless you ride the street like it's a track. I'm sure some of our more experienced track riders may notice the difference on the street also but not us average Joe's.

It will at speed as you are going to shorten the wheelbase. Riding though town will probably never notice, hitting the twisties at speed the bike will get twitchy.

Really street riding? will it even be noticed? No... I dropped my Rc51 10mm in the front and raised the rear 15mm didn't notice a damn thing on the street except it would almost fall over on its kickstand. At the track turned in better and was very stable at speed.

People on here think they are professional racers and spout too much crap that most people on the street wont even notice.

We are talking abut dropping an R6 for safety when standing or maneuvering the bike. I bet increasing the sag will solve their problem and not change anything since like I said before most people on the street don't even use the suspension they have now or know how to set it up correctly.

Honestly I think the R6 is one of the worst street bikes since it has the power of a moped until it hits 10k rpm. Don't get me wrong I love the R6 as a track bike and have owned two! Its a great looking bike carves like a surgical knife on the track and has some great power at rpms. I just don't think its a good street bike.

Edited by c7fx

Really street riding? will it even be noticed? No... I dropped my Rc51 10mm in the front and raised the rear 15mm didn't notice a damn thing on the street except it would almost fall over on its kickstand. At the track turned in better and was very stable at speed.

People on here think they are professional racers and spout too much crap that most people on the street wont even notice.

We are talking abut dropping an R6 for safety when standing or maneuvering the bike. I bet increasing the sag will solve her problem and not change anything since like I said before most people on the street don't even use the suspension they have now or know how to set it up correctly.

Honestly I think the R6 is one of the worst street bikes since it has the power of a moped until it hits 10k rpm. Don't get me wrong I love the R6 as a track bike and have owned two! Its a great looking bike carves like a surgical knife on the track and has some great power at rpms. I just don't think its a good street bike.

Haha Mr.Anderson you just got called a woman

Yes really, take a bike that is already twitchy on the front and make it worst makes all kinds of sense.

not going to get into a pissing match with you but I have owned two and still have one. I never thought it was twitchy on the track which I spent 99% of my time. I really don't think a "spirited" ride on the street will be noticed.

Fixed it Mike_N92 shouldn't you be fixing yours ;)

Since I am sooooo tall. I lowered my 250 and the 300. No issues with doing this and finally I could put my feet down and touch! I have roaringtoyzs lowering kit. Oh and my bikes were lowered 1-1.5"

not going to get into a pissing match with you but I have owned two and still have one. I never thought it was twitchy on the track which I spent 99% of my time. I really don't think a "spirited" ride on the street will be noticed.

Fixed it Mike_N92 shouldn't you be fixing yours ;)

:wtf::cry:

I'm 5 ft 2 and my bike isn't lowered. I think you should get off the bike and move it back. Not always pretty or cool but it gets the job done. :)

Mary

Will do now and I never really thought about pushing it around lol. I was just use to sitting and walking back on my 250. Thanks.

You notice how track only guys instantly come in when they see that thread title? Or many who like to think they use 100% of their bikes potential on the street. Dude, just do what you want. Don't ask things online for answers. Just spend the little cash it takes to get lowering links and just drop the rear 1 hole. Enjoy the bike that you can ride correctly after. ;)

I'm very much in support of Shitty's opinion too. Plus too many people worry about others bikes on here, but here's the thing...it's not their bike so they should give a fuck less. I don't get why either. I don't care about anyones bike but my own.

Edited by NinjaNick
  • Upvote 1

You notice how track only guys instantly come in when they see that thread title? Or many who like to think they use 100% of their bikes potential on the street. Dude, just do what you want. Don't ask things online for answers. Just spend the little cash it takes to get lowering links and just drop the rear 1 hole. Enjoy the bike that you can ride correctly after. ;)

I'm very much in support of Shitty's opinion too. Plus too many people worry about others bikes on here, but here's the thing...it's not their bike so they should give a fuck less. I don't get why either. I don't care about anyones bike but my own.

That's a good point. I don't plan on hitting the twisties going 130mph like some kind of motogp pro. Its not going to be used for the track. I plan on buying a seperate track bike. I guess I will just check out some the prices and go from there. Almost slipped on some gravel at a chipotle because I had to tip toe. It was from a pot hole lol..

When I had posted on another forum that I had stretched my zx14 I got the same bullshit replies everyone saying it was stupid and was going to ruin the handling blah blah blah.... Well I stretched it 6" which raised the rear about 3/16" which improved the handling. The ones saying it was going to ruin the handling had no experience with a stretched bike at all but they sure were certain it would ruin the handling. I rode my buddies '08 r6 before we lowered it and after we lowered it and there is no twitch, it doesn't wander, it isn't hard to push into a turn actually I think it handles a tad better now and now he can flat foot it and reverse it with ease. He said it even feels a little more planted on the highway that it doesn't feel like he gets pushed as much by wind from semis.

• Upvote 1