Ford F series guru's info needed

20thGix

One of the things to steer away from that's well documented on many forums is the 99-03 or 04 5.4L modular engines. They had some sort of a weird 2 pc plug that was scheduled for change at 100K mi interval, but the problem was that they had a deep-reach cutout in the head that built up carbon, which usually resulted in the plug(s) breaking apart when you changed 'em. Took a special tool or pulling the heads to do a fix. I heard of some shops--even Ford dealerships--charging $500 for the 100K maintenance to cover the possibility of breakage.

I couldn't tell you if the V-10 had the same plug design, but it's gotta be searchable.

Why buy american when you can buy a toyota or nissan and have a truck that will last?

As long as the profits go to Americans its ok. Easier to sell for a profit in America than it is to manufacture for a profit.

Rear leaf spring hangers rust in two on ford trucks. Not sure if they fixed that. Helped a buddy not to long ago. Cheap fix but not real fun.

Edited by Gump

Well the F350 was sold when I got there. So I test drive aF250. Kinda a turd so I went to look at the Titan. So after looking it over he gave me the keys and took it for a drive. It rode nice, plenty of power and then pulled into a side street to look it over again. That's when it started smoking out the tail pipe. That was the deal killer. White/ blue smoke like water and oil both were burning. Never cleared up and took it back. I told the guy I would have bought but not with that. Now I just need to find one that doesn't smoke.

sure it wasnt just cold today? how many miles were on it??

It wasnt that cold. Leaving a stop light you could see the plume and trail of smoke it left behind. Even when we checked it out away from the guys house, we would rev it up some and it would belch out smoke. It wasnt the its cold out and it disapated smoke. Im talking cloud that hung around. Definatley had motor issues. I had 137K miles on it.

We have all seen that car going down the road smoking like a freight train. Unfoutunatley that Nissan was one of them.

Seen quite a few nissan trucks puffing smoke honestly.... I still say find you a 99-03 f250 with a 7.3 diesel.. They run literally forever (guys on powerstroke forums are routinely passing 500k miles, with a few members rolling the odometer at a million).... If you decide on a foreign truck, do yourself a favor and look around for a good deal on a Toyota Tundra

I still say find you a 99-03 f250 with a 7.3 diesel.. They run literally forever (guys on powerstroke forums are routinely passing 500k miles, with a few members rolling the odometer at a million)....

+1