Amber rear running lights?

imagineer

I'm making a custom rear fender for a VL1500 and plan to use a set of front turn signals, modified to bolt direct to the fender.

Typically, rear turn signals have only one filament. Front turn signal lamps have two filaments, one for the turn signal, the other for the running light.

I'm thinking it might be a good thing if I wired the running lights to either the tail light or the license plate light so they be illuminated when the bike is on.

Does anyone know if Ohio has rules about using amber instead of red for rear running lights?

Edited by imagineer

This has nothing to do with Ohio law but I have had rear facing amber running lights on my Ducati since 2008. I don't know if it's legal or not but I know officers have pulled up behind me both in daytime and after dark and I have not gotten pulled over for it yet.

I don't doubt it's illegal, just saying I have not had a problem with being pulled over. (Knocking on every piece of wood:rolleyes:)

Here is a pic of the setup I have. Its two rows of led's, 80 led's total for the left turn, 80 for brakes and 80 for right turn. The picture shows them in the low power state for the running lights and then they just about double in brightness for Stop or Turn. They are bright enough the camera has a hard time setting the exposure to capture them correctly.

IMG_1048.jpg

• 2 months later...

4501-15-09 Accessory lamps.

(A) A vehicle may be equipped with accessory lamps or lights as herein defined, provided that their placement or installation on the vehicle or their use does not interfere with or tend to confuse the use of required lamps or lights, that are subject to provisions in sections 4513.03 to 4513.19and 4513.261 of the Revised Code and respective rules herein outlined.

(B) These accessory lamps or lights may be used anytime. When used they shall not exceed twenty-one candlepower intensity and shall otherwise be in accord with the current standards for construction and use issued by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/09/2010 and 03/09/2015

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4513.19

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4513.19

Prior Effective Dates: 11/17/66, 10/16/82, 7/23/01, 8/11/05

You can, and I do run amber rear facing LED's that do not exceed the rated candlepower.

What you must avoid is doing something that looks other than a REAR of a car. i.e. two white lights, two yellow making it look like the front of a car. Same applies to the front- you can't put red lights (two laws cover that if you want the codes, both LEO and this one)

• Upvote 1

I have a green led illuminating my plate, so as long as its not over 21 candlepower I'm good

I'm guessing........no-

now, thats not to say how many dozen LEO's have seen it, and didn't care, thought it was lit up well enough etc etc.. but, just takes one stiff necked just got my badge, first time out without a supervisor I dont like this guys (insert one)...

4513.05 Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

I book marked that site from another post in another forum. Its fast, easy to find out whats legal, whats not. Like snopes, its a GREAT argument buster. 

Edited by Medina

If it where me I would not do it.  Everything I have read and lived indicates that it would be illegal to run amber lights facing rearward and continuously on.

.... Front turn signal lamps have two filaments, one for the turn signal, the other for the running light.

I'm thinking it might be a good thing if I wired the running lights to either the tail light or the license plate light so they be illuminated when the bike is on.

Does anyone know if Ohio has rules about using amber instead of red for rear running lights?

Ask yourself why does the front one have two and the rear one filiment?  Like you indicate here, rear facing amber lights are for directional signaling only.

The law states that directional signals can be amber or red on the rear.

Parking lights on the rear must be red.

Stop lights (brake lights) must be red.

Combine this also with what will "confuse" another operator and that is why I wouldn't do it.  What is confusing is a judgement call of the officer and I wouldn't give him that decision to make.