Learn me about Ford 6L diesel

YSR_Racer_99

2006 F250

I have absolutely no need for this truck, nor the power, but saw it today and realllly like it, so its up to you all to emphasize to me what a total POS it would be if I bought it. Please. My bank account is begging you.

2006 F250

I have absolutely no need for this truck, nor the power, but saw it today and realllly like it, so its up to you all to emphasize to me what a total POS it would be if I bought it. Please. My bank account is begging you.

aren't these the ones that need new head bolts installed and some other upgrades to make them not a P O S

I beg to differ a Cummins with the nv series manual are better trucks if you can get past the front emblem. That is the common rail 2003 and newer. The 12 and 24 valves are turds until you mod them

Edited by ZxHooligan

I beg to differ a Cummins with the nv series manual are better trucks if you can get past the front emblem. That is the common rail 2003 and newer. The 12 and 24 valves are turds until you mod them

I can go out and find 50 people right here in my little farm town and they will tell you that your full of shit on the preference of the Cummins over the Powerstroker. Why do you think Ford dropped Cummins for their diesels and went back to their own powerstroker

Um 7.3 and 6.0 powerstroke are international. Also ford puts the 5.9 in their 650 and 750 trucks must be good enough for their big trucks. Ford owns the rights to Cummins yes but have made a lot of money off the Cummins and international gave them a hell of a deal on motors which the sold the Cummins for more per engine than what they paid for the international so they made out like bandits. Everyone from where I'm from has Cummins or duramaxs. I have 2 5.9s and have had no problems with them even after I've modded them

well first off, hooligan is SEMI right. the egr's are a large problem if NOT MAINTAINED!! those engines get a lot of charcoal build up in the intake if not properly driven. ie you drive 2 miles to a destination too often and not let it run fully, or let it idle too long often.) but that can be taken care with semi annually intake cleanings. the EGR coolers them selves also tend to go and put coolant directly into the exhaust, often people think their head gaskets are blown, when in fact they're not. some engines will drop lifters and the needle bearings from the lifters will go into the low pressure oil pump resulting in engine failures. occasional high pressure oiling problems, ie - dummy plugs fail, the pump its self fails, etc. i used to work on those things at a ford dealership.. i can tell you all about them. the turbos have a VGT system that makes the outlet small or larger, sometimes the vanes inside that move freeze up due to charcoaling, but like i said that can be managed. the engines that dont have problems, are baddass engines. theyre super torque'y and have a TON of mods and upgrades available to them.

anymore questions? pm for my number if you have any further questions. and just fyi, for what i know about them and all their problems, i would still buy one.

6.0 run away, don't walk....run. When they go, they go and you will pay lots of $$$. Resale also sucks, which is why the 7.3's are still desirable.

7.3 powerstroke was the last good diesel engine Ford used for reliability.

You have to ask yourself, why has Ford for several years,put the Cummins in their larger light duty commerical vehicles(f650-750) over their own powerstroke.

Thanks to all. I'm out as I really don't want another project or money pit. I realized that the main reasons I want it are: Its yellow (Amarillo Edition), its big, its bad, and I want to be able to stomp the throttle as I pull away from a stop and leave a huge black obnoxious cloud behind me. Although that seems to be mostly guys in older Dodges. Chronically.

;)

Driving this thing would be like walking down the street with Dog the Bounty Hunter as far as getting attention.

EGR problems only way to fix those is to go aftermarket if they fail more than likely the head gaskets will go

^this dude understands

Its a powerstroker, any others are shit nuff said. Great bad ass trucks lots of torque TONS of upgrades for even more power. Power Commander has a great add on for them as well

Sorry dude but you're clueless.

Dat 12valve nv4500 modded p7100

6 liter trucks are good trucks. Everyone trash talks them, but I've had really good luck and a ton of my customers have to. I have guys that buy 6.0s that come back and want to stay with the 6.0engine just change cab size or bed size.

The key to keeping these trucks happy is having a good oil cooler. And to keep your oil cooler happy you need to service the truck regularly and maintain it. Egrs are prone to fail, but rip that shit off it's not needed. You can do it several ways. Get a block off plate and delete it. This requires an aftermarket tuner such as an sct to keep your check engine light off (05-07 trucks only). You can actually keep the cooler on the truck and just block it off. This way it's still plugged in so no need for the programmer. Or get an aftermarket egr, these are more expensive and IMO dumb.

Get a coolant filtration kit ASAP. Run the truck. Don't baby it. The trucks like to be ran hard. Short trips turning he truck off and on without it getting to operating temp isn't good.

I rarely have head gasket issues with these trucks. I pressure check the coolant system on all of them. An easy way to tell if the truck has headgasket issues is look underneath (make sure you have a flashlight) and look at the back corners of the cylinder head. If these is build up or any oil residue good chances they are leaking.

Plan on doing a ficm. They aren't that expensive. This is another maintenance issue. You need to replace batteries at the first sign of them getting weak. Weak batteries won't allow the ficm to get enough voltage and will fry the .

03-04 6.0s tend to be the worst trucks. You can get a good one, just more often than not they have more issues that the later ones.

The injectors can be fixed with a simple oil additive since they are a hydraulic driven injector. The stuff is $50.

The early trucks 03-04 have turbo issues. The 5-7 trucks do too, not as much. If you catch it quick enough you can get by with cleaning the turbine wheel.

This is pretty much it.

Carwhore is spot on. I researched the hell out of these a few years ago, and ended up buying an 04 based on the previous owners up keep and maintenance records showing he had addressed every issue that these are known to have. The damn truck still found new ways to cost me a fortune to keep it running.:nono:

Forgot to mention. You want to start the truck twice. The first time you want to start it cold. Preferably in the morning. That way the truck is sat over night and will by as cold as possible. This is when you can detect antsy injector issues.

Next you want to turn the truck off after the test drive. Now start it back up while its hot. Note any difference from the first start to now.

If it has an extended crank before starting, or won't start when it's hot you have a FTC fitting that's bad.

My bank account is begging you.

Nothing like buying a car and having to immediately spend more money to mod it to avoid potential (probable?) catastrophic engine issues.

But hey, if your only reasons to buy it are "it's big, it's bad, it's yellow, and it leaves an obnoxious cloud of smoke" then maybe you do deserve to have your money parted with you.

I spent a long time figuring out what to get. Gas or diesel, 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I have races that I tow my car to that are in Georiga, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and sometimes Florida. I am only towing 7k so while a diesel would have been nice I didnt NEED one. And the risk of putting thousands of dollars in injectors or needing to spend thousands just to make it reliable bothered me. But I did not want to buy a gas 3/4 due to their MPG unloaded since the truck woudl also be my DD.

I settled on a 1500 Ram laramie. Has everything you can imagine on the inside. 7year 100k warrenty. I get 17mpg unloaded and it tows what I need just fine. has 395hp and 407tq so its fun unloaded as well.

As for the 6.0

We had 3 cars being towed to georiga last year. One by a LB7 DMAX, one by a 6.0 powerstroke, and one by an 02 F150 with 110k miles.

Guess which one had to be towed back after crossing the WV line lol.