Best 18" rear tire?

redkow97

Looking at an old Yamaha. Stock tire is 140/60/18

I am assuming I can fit a 160/60/18 and raise the rear for quicker handling (may drop the forks to compensate a tad), so 140, 150, and 160 are all potential options, but 140 is preferable (I know I'm dreaming)

Thoughts?

I want a decent sport tire...

I am finding decent options in 160/60/18, I just don't know much about any of the models I've found.

I'll do the math later, to see just how much the geometry will change going from 140/60 to 160/60, but it's over a centimeter.

I can combat that a bit by running a taller front (120/70 instead of 110/70), and then dropping the forks (if possible).

Then my concern becomes "will the front tire rub the fender when it stands up at speed?" That was an issue on the F2, depending on what make of fender you bought. Not sure on stock.

Bridgestone makes a BT-45V and a BT-45 Rear bias ply tire in 140/80-18M/C

but I don't see a 110/70-18 for the front.

Searching might be easier if we knew which model/year of Yamaha.

edit: I've run larger tires on back, and on both front and back.

It's do-able, I didn't mind the quicker turn in, not sure about a slower turn in, never tried that.

I've also seen problems with front fender clearance, and rear tire swing arm or chain clearance.

Edited by ReconRat

'93 FZR 600

I'm thinking I can find something that will work. I was hoping for something sportier than BT-45's, but I am familiar with them. I did track days on BT45's with my EX500. They were great for a guy who had never been on track before. I'm less sure they would perform optimally now...

But as noted, I wouldn't be looking to set the world on fire, just go out and have fun. The bike would mostly be a toy. If I want to seriously get back into the (big) track game, I would need a more purpose-built bike.

After riding the XR100 in anger for the first time yesterday, I'm more and more impressed with what a less capable bike can do in somewhat capable hands. That said, it has taken me a couple of crashes to get used to the bike's (and the tires') limits. (even at the track) I don't have the luxury of crashing a street bike without much more serious consequences and costs.

Those both look like great options. Thanks.

I'm also exploring the possibility of a rear wheel swap to a 17", but that obviously requires the purchase of another rim. Either tire above is probably a cheaper route.

Besides the major sport touring bias tires like the BT45 the sport touring radials also come in suitable sizes. For example Avons recommended fitment for 89-93 FZR600 is their Storm 2 Ultra in 110/70-17 and 150/70-18 so your front must be a 17" making choices easier. Wheels are 3.0 and 4.5" wide by the way. Similar sizes are available from other makers of course.

Here's a comparo test of 7 major bias ply tires run in UK on a track by Bike Magazine you might want to read:

http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tire_Comparison

After riding the XR100 in anger for the first time yesterday, I'm more and more impressed with what a less capable bike can do in somewhat capable hands. That said, it has taken me a couple of crashes to get used to the bike's (and the tires') limits. (even at the track) I don't have the luxury of crashing a street bike without much more serious consequences and costs.

puts a lot in perspective doesnt it lol.

you need to ride my NSR50 :D

puts a lot in perspective doesnt it lol.

you need to ride my NSR50 :D

is it easier or harder to ride than an XR100?

the position is just all wrong on the XR. I have to really really concentrate on dropping my shoulders and head into the turn. I thin it will build excellent habits for any bike with a more aggressive riding position.

having a really hard time finding the BT-090 in 18" rear. Based on the chart linked prior, I know they make (made) it, but I can't find them in stock anywhere...

The FZR seller isn't returning my emails right now anyway. I'll give him a call tomorrow or Tuesday.

I've decided not to worry any more about the tire until the motherfucking seller calls me back.

I really don't understand this kind of shit. The guy's ad says "I want it out of my garage ASAP."

I contacted him teh day he posted the ad (Friday) and said, "I'm racing Saturday, but I could take a look Sunday." He emails back and says "Sunday will work." I respond asking what time, and where he lives, and get complete silence.

So I didn't sweat it, because I was racing Saturday, and ended up buying a new lawnmower and cutting the lawn Sunday. I thought of calling the guy, but if he's a church-goer, I thought I'd wait until after 1:00. then I forgot. Monday I was in Columbus all day for swearing-in. So I called Tuesday, and left him a voice mail.

As of now, I have not gotten any emails or phone calls since last Friday. why won't this guy take my goddamn money!

I just don't understand why he would ignore me.

If it's sold, that's cool - take down the CL ad. I told him as much on the voice mail I left him. If I see the ad disappear, I'll stop calling...