$1103 speeding ticket

ReconRat

I've personally seen unmarked osp car make a traffic stop.

It's my understanding that an unmarked car cannot be used for traffic enforcement as its primary duty, but if the car is being used for other business and the officer witnesses a traffic violation, the officer is then allowed to make a stop.

The car I saw was a Malibu or impala, forget... All white, no markings or sirens, lights mounted inside the cab like they do out of state... Saw it on 70... That's what caused me to check into the legality of it

I've personally seen unmarked osp car make a traffic stop.

It's my understanding that an unmarked car cannot be used for traffic enforcement as its primary duty, but if the car is being used for other business and the officer witnesses a traffic violation, the officer is then allowed to make a stop.

The car I saw was a Malibu or impala, forget... All white, no markings or sirens, lights mounted inside the cab like they do out of state... Saw it on 70... That's what caused me to check into the legality of it

When you say OSP you mean the Ohio State Highway Patrol or another agency where you live in AZ? Also if this was in OH was that Impala/Malibu the initiating vehicle on the stop? Or was it just there behind another marked crusier?

When you say OSP you mean the Ohio State Highway Patrol or another agency where you live in AZ? Also if this was in OH was that Impala/Malibu the initiating vehicle on the stop? Or was it just there behind another marked crusier?

yea ohio highway patrol.... or so i assumed from the appearance of the car (was on 70 between 256 and brice rd, on the east side of columbus)....it was the only police vehicle on the scene

Or was the car stopped to help a broken-down vehicle?

i suppose this is possible, but i would assume that to be very unlikely.....if the cop isnt assigned to any traffic duty, i wouldnt think they would be making stops for broken down cars

heres the ORC

"ORC 4549.13 Marking and equipment for motor vehicle used by traffic enforcement officers.

Any motor vehicle used by a member of the state highway patrol or by any other peace officer, while said officer is on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state, provided the offense is punishable as a misdemeanor, shall be marked in some distinctive manner or color and shall be equipped with, but need not necessarily have in operation at all times, at least one flashing, oscillating, or rotating colored light mounted outside on top of the vehicle. The superintendent of the state highway patrol shall specify what constitutes such a distinctive marking or color for the state highway patrol."

It was explained to me that the wording exclusive or main purpose is where the loop hole lies that allows unmarked cars to make stops in OH. If the cars main purpose is NOT traffic enforcement, but they witness a traffic violation, they would then be within the law to make a traffic stop.

The key phrase is used "for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state". Delaware County Sheriff used to run a purple Durango that would sometimes run traffic. I asked a deputy about it and he said that it was not the vehicle's main role, but that they sometimes did traffic in it if this unstated main purpose was not needed at the time.

I lost part of a load of sheetrock from the roof rack of my wife's outback when a deer jumped out in front of me. An unmarked Impala stopped, used his blue lights to provide me with cover while I loaded up again. Might have looked like he pulled me over.

And that freeway Mopar over in Pickerington. Looks unmarked to me.

And yeah, I saw something new West of Columbus.

OSHP marked with light bar on top. Had a truck pulled over.

Not sure what it was, the size of a Mustang or Camaro.

The key phrase is used "for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the motor vehicle or traffic laws of this state". Delaware County Sheriff used to run a purple Durango that would sometimes run traffic. I asked a deputy about it and he said that it was not the vehicle's main role, but that they sometimes did traffic in it if this unstated main purpose was not needed at the time.

That's what I said...? As long as it's not the vehicles main role, it doesn't have to be marked, but can still perform traffic stops.

I don't know of any Ohio agency that uses unmarked cars that aren't detective, special purpose patrol (gang, surveillance, etc), or training cars. Unmarked cars in Ohio for general patrol are essentially verboten, and there are further restrictions on non uniformed officers being able to testify in traffic proceedings.

Even in the Cleveland area, where every little town has a department and they all want a piece of the interstate pie, the cars are marked. Granted, they have small lettering and a tiny little teardrop style light on the roof to be as inconspicuous as legally possible, but they are in compliance with the ORC as it specifies that marked "cars must be equipped with a permanently mounted roof light and siren".

I have a very hard time believing that any unmarked is out there doing traffic stops. Criminal stops, maybe; assisting a stranded motorist, perhaps; but even then that's a big safety risk.