Powder Room to close?

buildit

POWELL, Ohio — The Powder Room, a long-standing shooting range that lost nearly 100 guns in a burglary last year — including one that was later used to kill a Dublin gas-station clerk — could be closing to make way for a condominium complex.

Developers presented a sketch plan of the complex last night to the Pow-ell Planning and Zoning Commission. The plan shows condominiums on tree-lined streets and a pond with fountains.

The entrance to the complex would go right through where the Powder Room now stands.

“I’m one of the first people to object to people objecting to something that was there before they got there,” said Len Pivar, the developer who wants to build the complex. “But times change.”

Last night’s meeting was the first in what likely will be a series of meetings about the new complex. Pivar said that even if everything goes perfectly, construction wouldn’t start until next year at the earliest.

Owners of the Powder Room did not return calls for comment.

Members of the Powell zoning commission seemed receptive to Pivar’s plan. The city of Powell has sent at least three letters to the range since 2008, asking it to stop operating because of various city code violations.

The Powder Room owners lease the space from a landowner who, Pivar said, has signed a contract with his development company, Arlington Homes LLC.

The Powder Room, at 2470 Powell Rd., was the site of a break-in in February 2012. Burglars smashed through a wall of the gun range, stealing 97 guns. Five days later, one of the guns was used in a robbery that left a Dublin gas-station clerk dead.

David Betz, Powell’s director of development, said the condominium plan is a good alternative to the shooting range.

“We see this as a good beginning in the positive redevelopment in an area that has been somewhat troublesome in the past,” Betz said. larenschield@dispatch.com

@larenschield

it's only "troublesome" in that the Powder Room itself has had issues - that large gun theft, suicides, other thefts.

the area it's in has homes from $250K+, antique shops, etc. 'tis not the ghetto.

no idea...:rolleyes:

in all honesty though, the place has had issues. One might be led to think that management is less than 'engaged'...

'somewhat troublesome' seems an apt, if not kind description of The Powder Room.

imho, and my $0.022 worth.

So it sounds like the stonewall range we have up here. The owners are of like mind it seems, they expanded the store and added more area. Shortly after their range failed an was shut down for an extended period of time. Maybe they should have spent some of the money on upkeep of the range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything new about it, so who knows.  Alas last weekend I bought a membership to NASR because it's the closest to my home (and I can easily ride there too).  :easy_button: