Camera Mount - Contour Roam

wantahertzdonut

I'm going to order a Contour Roam camera for trackdays, but have no idea if it includes a mount.

Even if it does, is it any good? I'd like to stick a camera on my bike so I can see the gauges and forward of the bike. Should I get one of the suction cup mounts and stick it on the tank?

It will come with a few different mounts tor mounting to hard surfaces. They make a suction cup mount as well that works great. If your going to get a contour roam specifically for track days you might want to go for the roam+2. It has the upgraded features plus it comes with a built in gps feature that allows for fps data logging that can be used with dashware so you can have an added track overlay on the videos. Costs 399 for that one

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CN8VRU/

I'd like the +2 but I'm not sure I want to spend double for the GPS stuff. Actually the only reason I'd really go for it is the removable battery. I'd hate to lose the camera because the battery takes a shit. Still, I can buy two Roams for the price of one +2. I'll have to think about that.

This is the model I'm looking at.

I'd like the +2 but I'm not sure I want to spend double for the GPS stuff. Actually the only reason I'd really go for it is the removable battery. I'd hate to lose the camera because the battery takes a shit. Still, I can buy two Roams for the price of one +2. I'll have to think about that.

Keep in mind the models that are waterproof, you can't change/remove the battery. This means you've only got 1 charge to use. Depending on your resolution and video options, that's MUCH less than the 3.5 hours they say.

Shooting 720p and 60fps you can count on ~1.5 hours of recording, maybe 2. I got the +2 and I don't really use the GPS, it kills battery life. I do like they bluetooth feature on it so you can use your phone as a viewfinder when you're setting it up and you can use an external mic. The stock mic picks up a lot of wind noise, not so good.

Overall I would really say the GoPro Hero 3 is a better product, but the Contours do have a nice profile that makes them better suited for helmet cams and a rotatable lens so you have more placement options. For just slapping on your tank though, I think the GoPro is better. You can remove/swap the battery, and it has better video and audio quality out of the box.

I use my roam every time im out on my bike, had it for over a year, and it consecutively get 2+ hours out of a charge recording a 720p. The Roam +2 has a waterproof case for it so it can be made water proof.

You do realize there are 3 levels of the Hero 3? White black and silver, the white is the shittiest and cheapest. silver is middle and is where the roam 2 sits as video quality, and the black is where the Roam +2 is as specs but it comes with the added gps feature. Last I had heard, Gopro havent fixed their issue with the camera locking up after 9999 pictures/videos or a combination of the two.

You do realize there are 3 levels of the Hero 3? White black and silver, the white is the shittiest and cheapest. silver is middle and is where the roam 2 sits as video quality, and the black is where the Roam +2 is as specs but it comes with the added gps feature. Last I had heard, Gopro havent fixed their issue with the camera locking up after 9999 pictures/videos or a combination of the two.

If you're responding to me, yes, of course I do, I have the Black edition as well as a Contour +2, the GoPro by far has better video quality. I highly doubt GoPro haven't fixed that as the article you posted(if it was you) was talking about an issue that was years old. I'm pretty sure there would be much more of an issue made of it if it hadn't been fix and were still happening on the new model.

Looks like it was fixed years ago...

http://www.getawaymoments.com/2010/07/go-pro-hero-hd-9999-malfunction-problem.html

The article I believe you posted:

http://www.netinstructions.com/2013/02/gopro-the-product-i-want-to-love-the-company-i-cant-help-but-hate/

Read one of the comments at the bottom:

"Chris Hammond Says:

March 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm What people should realize in this “review” is that it is for the original GoPro HeroHD, not for the Hero3. I too had the original bug, but it was fixed by firmware updates YEARS ago."

Edited by 8Rider6

After doing a little more looking, are there any cameras on the market that do not recored in .mov format? I fucking hate quicktime.

It appears the Drift does this, and I assume the GoPro does too. Not positive about the Countour yet.

The Drift cameras record in MP4 just have to set it in the options menu. The Contour can as well, You can do this in Storyteller if you have the firmware update by plugging your camera into your computer, opening Storyteller, and then clicking on "Tools" and then "Configure Camera." If you then click on "Restore Defaults" and then click "Apply," when you unplug your camera it will record in MP4 format.

Edited by Kmanlyst

I really like the drift better than either gopro or contour. Just have issues pulling the trigger on one

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I was going to just get the Drift 720 because of the price point $159 is a steal, then my taxes came in so I go the HD Ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

The Drift cameras record in MP4 just have to set it in the options menu. The Contour can as well, You can do this in Storyteller if you have the firmware update by plugging your camera into your computer, opening Storyteller, and then clicking on "Tools" and then "Configure Camera." If you then click on "Restore Defaults" and then click "Apply," when you unplug your camera it will record in MP4 format.

Isn't MP4 essentially the same as .mov? 

I realize you can open them in different programs but the codecs still seem shaky playing a .mov in windows media player.  I'll probably just have to deal with it but wish I could use any other format.

MOV was originally developed by Apple as a file format for its QuickTime movie player. The MOV format presented a lot of advantages that are quite usable to everyday use but the proprietary nature of the MOV format was a major hindrance. The MP4 file format was later developed as an industry standard, the developments was greatly based on the MOV file format to the point that they were exactly identical at first. The changes that were introduced were very minor and mostly involved data tagging information.