The Umbrella Image

just_some_dude

bush_umbrella.jpg

"Could be worse, Bush didn't even know how to use one".

Really? You're going with that?

Ahhh, the "accepting and compassionate" liberal mindset.

Liberals are typically the most angry, hostile, self-serving, denigrating people I run into.

And those don't appear to be Marines holding the umbrella over President Reagan.

• Downvote 1

The point is that it doesn't matter what the president does or doesn't do, he has critics that will use any and all percieved lapses in judgement, no matter how miniscule, minute, or insignificant as collective evidence of a fundamental character flaw that they can't wait to expose to the world.

• Upvote 1

The point is that it doesn't matter what the president does or doesn't do, he has critics that will use any and all percieved lapses in judgement, no matter how miniscule, minute, or insignificant as collective evidence of a fundamental character flaw that they can't wait to expose to the world.

This.

Every president gets the same treatment, and it's stupid either way.

Edited by Scruit

Likewise, the president also has fanboys and nutswingers who refuse to aknowledge any actual failure, misstep, or mistake and retain the belief that this president is their god's infallible gift to the known universe.

• Upvote 2

And those don't appear to be Marines holding the umbrella over President Reagan.

What difference does it make who holds the umbrella? You want the secret service guys to hold it? Or did we suddenly invent a "Must get wet" rule for presidents now?

Question: Are those marines armed?

• Downvote 1

Likewise, the president also has fanboys and nutswingers who refuse to aknowledge any actual failure, misstep, or mistake and retain the belief that this president is their god's infallible gift to the known universe.

All presidents have that too. It makes it very easy to see who is too blinded by their political prejudice to make rational decisions on a case-by-case basis - They are militant apologists for their own party and unapologetic militants against the other.

There are far more important issues than a marine holding an umbrella and I don't know what this "marine code is" but I know a couple soldiers that have met presidents and said it was a great experience and honor so I'd imagine it's probably a greater honor for them to even be at the white house.

I met former president Bush when I was in the navy, several of my junior sailors and him had a very entertaining conversation with him for over an hour. Was very humbling.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

Nobody answered if the Marines were armed. Anyone know?

Those particular Marines? No. They are not armed.

For lack of a better word, and being a former Marine myself... no disrespect is meant...those particular Marines are ornamental.

Now, the Secret Service that's surrounding everything...that you don't see in the pictures, yes, they are armed. Heavily.

I have a good friend that is a SS agent, he told me about working the parade after the president was elected. If you watched it, all SS agents wore the same black trench coats. Underneath those coats were mini 14s slung over their backs, and each agent carried three spare mags.

• Upvote 1

I only ask because one of the chief complaints I've heard about those Marines holding the umbrella is the one holding for Obama had his right hand occupied and he couldn't use his weapon. If they're not armed then the Marine's ability to use his non-existent weapon is therefore not really a huge concern.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of pictures of of Reagan, Bush, Clinton and other presidents having umbrellas held for them by what appear to be SS agents - at which point the SS agent is momentarily unable to draw his weapon (that we all agree he has).

So, given that, doesn't it make sense that the unarmed person concentrate on the umbrella and the armed person keep his arms free?

Ideally the umbrella would be held by another person, such as a butler/servant/assistant etc. But then people would complain about the money spent on that.

Or maybe they don't use umbrellas at all and conclude the speech looking like a pair of half-drowned cats. Then people would complain that the foreign dignitary was mistreated

Ok, what about they hold their own umbrellas? Then people would find something to complain about with that.

http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-man-the-boy-and-the-donkey.htm

holy shit, I agree with Magley... I apologize if the sun rises in the West tomorrow.