The Umbrella Image

just_some_dude

I only ask because one of the chief complaints I've heard about those Marines holding the umbrella is the one holding for Obama had his right hand occupied and he couldn't use his weapon. If they're not armed then the Marine's ability to use his non-existent weapon is therefore not really a huge concern.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of pictures of of Reagan, Bush, Clinton and other presidents having umbrellas held for them by what appear to be SS agents - at which point the SS agent is momentarily unable to draw his weapon (that we all agree he has).

So, given that, doesn't it make sense that the unarmed person concentrate on the umbrella and the armed person keep his arms free?

Ideally the umbrella would be held by another person, such as a butler/servant/assistant etc. But then people would complain about the money spent on that.

Or maybe they don't use umbrellas at all and conclude the speech looking like a pair of half-drowned cats. Then people would complain that the foreign dignitary was mistreated

Ok, what about they hold their own umbrellas? Then people would find something to complain about with that.

http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-man-the-boy-and-the-donkey.htm

Or be smart enough and do it inside? The issue is there are two marines there that can be doing something way more important than holding umbrellas.

Whoa whoa whoa! The great elbow wielding Magz actually WORKED for a place that made gun parts? Holy shit your hypocrisy knows no bounds!

Obvious trolling by magz. Posting totally irrelevant info in this thread just to be a troll. Don't feed the troll.

Or be smart enough and do it inside? The issue is there are two marines there that can be doing something way more important than holding umbrellas.

Smart enough to do it inside...genius!

Although, the Marines would be there regardless. So if they have to hold some umbrellas, doesn't hurt my feelings.

Most of the well dressed service members are part if the color guard. Most go straight there from boot camp and their job is to stand around and look pretty. Usually members from all 4 branches. They do the funerals, heads of state dinners, etc. Definitely unarmed. They still are happy with the military and haven't experienced much

People whine about everything Obama does. Some deserved, much undeserved.

Edited by turnone

Whoa whoa whoa! The great elbow wielding Magz actually WORKED for a place that made gun parts? Holy shit your hypocrisy knows no bounds!

No i worked for a company that molded fiberglass reinforced composites, just happened to be the case that one of those parts that I was responsible for inspecting for gloss and dimensional stability went on a gun eventually.

Also,i don't work there any longer.

Edited by magley64

I don't see the hypocrisy here. He never said soldiers shouldn't have guns. He also maintains that guns shouldn't be banned, just that he would prefer that people chose not to own them.

Smart enough to do it inside...genius!

Although, the Marines would be there regardless. So if they have to hold some umbrellas, doesn't hurt my feelings.

The rose garden is a staple of the White House especially when greeting dignitaries. If they didn't use it then people would criticize that too. Maybe rain was not forecasted? I don't know. All I know is that of all the things that you can criticize about Obama, this is the one that makes people look like they are being petty and grasping desperately at straws looking for any political points regardless of how irrelevant.

The rose garden is a staple of the White House especially when greeting dignitaries. If they didn't use it then people would criticize that too. Maybe rain was not forecasted? I don't know. All I know is that of all the things that you can criticize about Obama, this is the one that makes people look like they are being petty and grasping desperately at straws looking for any political points regardless of how irrelevant.

It's about breaking tradition, not the fact that they had to hold a 1lb object for a few minutes. He could have had anybody else hold the umbrellas instead of the only group of people who have a reason not to. White house secretary, intern, secret service, volunteer, any other branch, etc etc.... Whether or not he chose marines out of disrespect or not, he still caused them to break marine tradition and that's where the problem is.. Marines don't hold umbrellas, so why make these two?

Furthermore, I agree with cooter and everyone else... Why give marines such a meaningless task when they can be utilized elsewhere? I guess benghazi happened because hillary needed some marines to paint her toe nails huh? It's ridiculous.

It's about breaking tradition, not the fact that they had to hold a 1lb object for a few minutes. He could have had anybody else hold the umbrellas instead of the only group of people who have a reason not to. White house secretary, intern, secret service, volunteer, any other branch, etc etc.... Whether or not he chose marines out of disrespect or not, he still caused them to break marine tradition and that's where the problem is.. Marines don't hold umbrellas, so why make these two?

Furthermore, I agree with cooter and everyone else... Why give marines such a meaningless task when they can be utilized elsewhere? I guess benghazi happened because hillary needed some marines to paint her toe nails huh? It's ridiculous.

Repeat, the Color Guard stationed in DC are the pretty boys who stand around. This is part of the military and has been for a very long time.

It was one of my choices when I was considering extending my time in the Navy. Most are brand new straight out of boot camp. A few are E5/E6 who manage the E1/E2's. I went and interviewed with them. Ultimately, I got out of the Navy, but I thought it would have been a cool gig to be at the white house and other places around high level world leaders, even if just standing there looking pretty.

Therefore, these marines aren't being disrespected in any way. It's their job! Not every marine is a front line fighter.

And if you haven't figured it out from the earlier posts, it's not the Color Guard's job to protect the president. The Secret Service does that and they are the ones with the guns when around the President.

Stop whining about petty and meaningless shit. Learn the real problems facing this nation and bitch about those instead (pretty please).

Chris

it's about breaking tradition, not the fact that they had to hold a 1lb object for a few minutes. He could have had anybody else hold the umbrellas instead of the only group of people who have a reason not to. White house secretary, intern, secret service, volunteer, any other branch, etc etc....

wtf?

wtf?

If they really are "color guard" and only there for decoration, I don't see a problem. Unless every other branch has the same dress code as marines, which I am unaware of.

No disrespect meant towards any service members. I think the notion of having service stand around unarmed just to look pretty is outrageous in itself. We have enough problems in the world where service members could be utilized rather than decorating the white house

Male Marines are not supposed to hold umbrellas unless directed by the Commandant - not the POTUS or any other officer/official - and they're especially not supposed to hold one in the right hand which is their saluting hand.

They probably have a standing order to do so if asked by the POTUS but any Marine/Soldier/Sailor/Airman worth a shit never even thinks to use an umbrella - rain is just wet sunshine - but we can't expect pansy ass civilians to get it.

Even if I did feel the need for an umbrella, which I never use, I would hold it myself. How can anybody stand around and let someone hold their umbrella for them? It's Ok for the marines to get wet but not ol Barry? If the man wants an umbrella, whatever, but he should at least hold it himself. Not find the only branch of military specifically opposed to doing it and ordering them to do so.

Repeat, the Color Guard stationed in DC are the pretty boys who stand around. This is part of the military and has been for a very long time.

It was one of my choices when I was considering extending my time in the Navy. Most are brand new straight out of boot camp. A few are E5/E6 who manage the E1/E2's. I went and interviewed with them. Ultimately, I got out of the Navy, but I thought it would have been a cool gig to be at the white house and other places around high level world leaders, even if just standing there looking pretty.

Therefore, these marines aren't being disrespected in any way. It's their job! Not every marine is a front line fighter.

And if you haven't figured it out from the earlier posts, it's not the Color Guard's job to protect the president. The Secret Service does that and they are the ones with the guns when around the President.

Stop whining about petty and meaningless shit. Learn the real problems facing this nation and bitch about those instead (pretty please).

Chris

You were a squid and clearly don't understand that every Marine is a Rifleman first. Therefore, they're not just another pretty boy standing around holding umbrellas for ignorant civilians vs. not being qualified as a front line fighter because they're on special duty at the White House - that's total bullshit.

• Upvote 2

If they really are "color guard" and only there for decoration, I don't see a problem. Unless every other branch has the same dress code as marines, which I am unaware of.

No disrespect meant towards any service members. I think the notion of having service stand around unarmed just to look pretty is outrageous in itself. We have enough problems in the world where service members could be utilized rather than decorating the white house

I guess other sister service dress codes are different. Marines being the strictest. But still, rules like that fly out the window when you are on a detachment like that.

I've heard of USAF Honor Guard: glueing uniforms together, sewing seams(to look sharper, opposed to exclusive iron/starch), taping nickels into trouser cuffs(to hang straighter), etc.

I guess my point is, when your job is all about image, sometimes rules are broken. None of which, should be of the general public's concern!

Even if I did feel the need for an umbrella, which I never use, I would hold it myself. How can anybody stand around and let someone hold their umbrella for them? It's Ok for the marines to get wet but not ol Barry? If the man wants an umbrella, whatever, but he should at least hold it himself. Not find the only branch of military specifically opposed to doing it and ordering them to do so.

Every over recent president has picture out there of someone else holding their umbrella for them.

You were a squid and clearly don't understand that every Marine is a Rifleman first. Therefore, they're not just another pretty boy standing around holding umbrellas for ignorant civilians vs. not being qualified as a front line fighter because they're on special duty at the White House - that's total bullshit.

Baptizo is 100% right. Every Marine is a rifleman first( and therefore a frontline fighter first and foremost) everything else is a collatoral duty after being a rifleman.

• Upvote 1