Will this tank bag work?

JStump

I sold my Cycleguys bag to Bshultz since I have a solo seat cowl and now have a metal gas tank but the tank bag I really want has a magnetic flap in the crotch area right where my carbon fiber tank guard is. Would you think the magnets are strong enough to hold through a CF tank guard?

A9720104__49125.1307393777.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-hammerhead-tank-bag

Also looking at this Cortech which does not have the crotch magnet but I really wanted the cell phone pouch on the Joe Rocket.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-hammerhead-tank-bag

Has anyone used a cell phone in the clear map holder of a tank bag and does it work? Does it move around a lot?

Edited by JStump

if you mean navigate with the cell phone... mine gets confused and turns the image sideways. It has to be more vertical. I've used TomTom in the clear cover, but that doesn't work either. Can't look while riding. Whatever is used for whatever, should be mounted up by handlebars or instruments.

The clear cover is for a paper map. Not saying it won't work for a cell phone, but it didn't for me. edit: ok, I looked at the link, it might be vertical enough to navigate properly.

Try a magnet on the carbon. If it works, the tank bag should also. Most of those will hold at a buck fifty.

edit: Or try a tank bag, lots of people got magnetic tank bags you could borrow. Some shops would even let you try it out.

Also... my phone or TomTom will use up battery fast when navigating. I have to plug it into a cigarette lighter adapter on the handlebars.

Edited by ReconRat

I mostly want to just be able to see the phone at stop lights for changing music selection and to see who text me. I use voice guidance on the phone and that works pretty well. Although I do have a phone charger rigged up on the battery tender plug so if the screen is easy to see though the plastic I may run power to the bag and use it.

With gloves, it'll be difficult to operate...

Well I just remembered I can change music with siri, I always forget about that! So I really only want to be able to see messages. Some people I would like to know are texting/emailing so I can pull off and respond. Like when I am on call at work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up getting the Cortech from Nathan at RD and its a great little bag. I got it mostly for keeping small things on longer trips like a water bottle, zip ties, a few tools and what not and this should do the job. I tested it out on the way home from work and it holds a pint of Ben and Jerry's with ease :D

CB9BF086-2FC6-46CD-85FD-F19A7F778C60-143

56FB93EA-5A43-4379-A668-45EC958A5D8A-143

86D2EF2A-B915-4B27-8584-C923F9E92B28-143

0F3D4C3F-F770-4C61-996C-67F68C6A9870-143

Also, my iPhone 5 fits about perfect in the clear map window and works with my gloves pretty well. Have not tried that out in the sun yet though. The pic sucks because I had to use my GoPro to take the picture haha.

GOPR0005_zps823d11d6.jpg

Edited by JStump
  • Upvote 1