background checks to own a dog? WTF?!?!?

Sapphy

So I lost my "baby girl" a chow/lab mix of 16 years this past January. It took a while to heal and with other things going on in my life, I was in no rush to have a new dog in my life. Anyway, late last week something hit me, so I started looking at rescue sites. So it has been over 16 years since I adopted and over 12 years since I volunteered at a rescue, but damn this has gotten crazy. These places are asking for background checks, and hippa releases to get any past pets medical history. One stated "rescues start at $175 and go up from there"!!!! They want to do home visits, talk to 3 people that know you but you are not related to. Where do you work, what do you do for a living. One place wanted to know every pet you had and every vet you seen in the last 20 years, and wanted a hippa release for all of them.

I get they want to weed out the people that are not responsible pet owners and what not, but I think they are over stepping their bounds on this. I have nothing to hide, but damn this is an evasion of privacy. Hell I can go get a puppy mill puppy at petsmart for less than some of the rescue want to charge with hell of a lot less hassle.

Don't let it dissuade you.

My wife is on the board of directors for Secondhand Mutts (www.secondhandmutts.org), and handles all the adoption applications and coordinates the foster homes.

The medical history stuff sounds a little crazy, but SHM asks for $150-$250 (younger dogs are more, senior dogs are less), and "reserves the right" to do home visits, and all the other crap you mentioned.

...but they rarely actually DO any of that.

When we adopted our first secondhand mutt, the "home visit" consisted of them asking "do you have a fenced in yard? no? Okay, so you know you can't leave the dog unattended on a lead, right? Okay. Oh, you intend to fence in the yard in the spring? Okay cool. That's great."

The president of the rescue finally did our "home visit" 3 years later when we hosted a volunteer event at our house. She was like, "oh yeah. You guys are adopting a second dog, right? You're good." (we got Kramer a few weeks later).

They're just trying ot weed out (and scare off) idiots, cover a portion of their costs, and make sure people aren't abusing the dogs. You're fine. If they're giving you a hard time, I can recommend a number of adoptable secondhand mutts! :D

Don't let it dissuade you.

My wife is on the board of directors for Secondhand Mutts (www.secondhandmutts.org), and handles all the adoption applications and coordinates the foster homes.

The medical history stuff sounds a little crazy, but SHM asks for $150-$250 (younger dogs are more, senior dogs are less), and "reserves the right" to do home visits, and all the other crap you mentioned.

...but they rarely actually DO any of that.

When we adopted our first secondhand mutt, the "home visit" consisted of them asking "do you have a fenced in yard? no? Okay, so you know you can't leave the dog unattended on a lead, right? Okay. Oh, you intend to fence in the yard in the spring? Okay cool. That's great."

The president of the rescue finally did our "home visit" 3 years later when we hosted a volunteer event at our house. She was like, "oh yeah. You guys are adopting a second dog, right? You're good." (we got Kramer a few weeks later).

They're just trying ot weed out (and scare off) idiots, cover a portion of their costs, and make sure people aren't abusing the dogs. You're fine. If they're giving you a hard time, I can recommend a number of adoptable secondhand mutts! :D

I have not actually submitted any of this yet. I was just surfing the web, looking for a german shepherd to rescue, found a few, but backed off once I saw what they are asking for.

I have not actually submitted any of this yet. I was just surfing the web, looking for a german shepherd to rescue, found a few, but backed off once I saw what they are asking for.

Fill out what you're comfortable with. They'll contact you. At least they better. The dogs need you more than you need the dog.

http://secondhandmutts.org/adoption/

We have Dodger as a house guest right now :)

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it would be easier to adopt a child. Search CL or a Sunday paper for a free dog. They make the best pets, anyhow.

Depends on if the child is out of state. Rents paid over 60k for me. :D. Uncle Sam wanted lots of info and lots of money and the approval of someone in congress.

I would still adopt the puppy. Nothing to hide or you can get one from the pound.

you can fill out their "mutt-match" application too, and they'll look for a shepherd mix for you.

Just be prepared to explain why you live in Columbus, but are applying here. That will raise red-flags with the staff. They're going to think "this guy has surrendered dogs in Franklin County shelters, and none of the local rescues will let him adopt."

Edited by redkow97

For that much cash, I'd do a search for breeders of breeds you're interested in.

They usually show when they have litters ready to purchase, and indicate how many male/female.

It is often a bit of a drive, but it's often dogs with linage papers. Which often costs extra.

Large breeder outfits will have older dogs too. Same deal, at a lower cost.

Breeders have their demands too. Often demand that you are not going into the breed business.

Searching for a particular breed will also bring up websites that track adoptions by breed all over the country.

For that much cash, I'd do a search for breeders of breeds you're interested in.

They usually show when they have litters ready to purchase, and indicate how many male/female.

It is often a bit of a drive, but it's often dogs with linage papers. Which often costs extra.

Large breeder outfits will have older dogs too. Same deal, at a lower cost.

Breeders have their demands too. Often demand that you are not going into the breed business.

Searching for a particular breed will also bring up websites that track adoptions by breed all over the country.

Yes I could go to a breeder, I could go to a puppy mill as well.  The truth is, I don't care about the "papers".  I want a buddy, a friend to run with me, and to go on jeep rides with me and to just generally add to the family.  Their are lots of homeless dogs that can fill what I am looking for.  I want to give one of these homeless dogs a home, but it seems that the people that say they are helping, have made it so intimidating to step up and help one of these poor dogs that they are hurting the chances of these dogs ever getting a home of their own.  

You won't be picking up a healthy german shepherd for $200 from any breeder so the fee is not that bad.  I don't have a problem with the fees. The puppies in most rescues go very quickly but the older dogs often need foster homes or care for quite some time so you are paying a fee to cover the whole operation not just the one dog you get.

We just adopted a puppy from a group in New Philadelphia that rescues puppies from the Amish. They refuse to fix their work dogs and many of the puppies ended up in bad places. They asked a lot of questions but were pretty reasonable. Some of the places I had spoken with during the process were a bit invasive and I just passed on them.  They almost made you feel like you had to beg/convince them to give you a dog. I'm all for checking out people but do it politely.

Mary

You won't be picking up a healthy german shepherd for $200 from any breeder so the fee is not that bad.  I don't have a problem with the fees. The puppies in most rescues go very quickly but the older dogs often need foster homes or care for quite some time so you are paying a fee to cover the whole operation not just the one dog you get.

We just adopted a puppy from a group in New Philadelphia that rescues puppies from the Amish. They refuse to fix their work dogs and many of the puppies ended up in bad places. They asked a lot of questions but were pretty reasonable. Some of the places I had spoken with during the process were a bit invasive and I just passed on them.  They almost made you feel like you had to beg/convince them to give you a dog. I'm all for checking out people but do it politely.

Mary

The fees are not my issue, it the the invasiveness of the application process that has me grumpy about it.  I get paying for the med care, and I don't need a puppy, I would adopt an older dog.  But you are right some of these places I am looking at online, I read the application and then just walk away.  To be honest my FAA Class 1 medical is less invasive than some of the apps to rescue a dog.

• Upvote 1

Don't go to a breeder man, rescue a dog, it might not be purebred or whatever but it's going to be just as good, and most likely have less health issues and live longer.  Plus they know when you rescued them, I have no belief otherwise.

Hit the pound up, just stop in, I bet you find something even if not at all like a german shepard you love and take him/her home that day.  I wish we could rescue more dogs but right now our dog is pretty set in his ways and another one would not be good for either.

I cant see where you are from so here, I searched Cbus for what you're looking for.  I gurantee many of these places don't require all that paperwork, I know I wouldn't be filling all that out either myself.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?location=Columbus%2C+ohio&animal_type=Dog&pet_breed=German+Shepherd+Dog&pet_age=&pet_gender=&startsearch=Go

Don't go to a breeder man, rescue a dog, it might not be purebred or whatever but it's going to be just as good, and most likely have less health issues and live longer.  Plus they know when you rescued them, I have no belief otherwise.

Hit the pound up, just stop in, I bet you find something even if not at all like a german shepard you love and take him/her home that day.  I wish we could rescue more dogs but right now our dog is pretty set in his ways and another one would not be good for either.

No I will rescue.  I am a strong believer in rescuing.  And I am not hell bent on a German Shepherd, or a German Shepherd mix, that is just my preference. At some point soon I will go to the pound and look.

I cant see where you are from so here, I searched Cbus for what you're looking for.  I gurantee many of these places don't require all that paperwork, I know I wouldn't be filling all that out either myself.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?location=Columbus%2C+ohio&animal_type=Dog&pet_breed=German+Shepherd+Dog&pet_age=&pet_gender=&startsearch=Go

I have been looking at that search, all the ones that had pics that made my heart melt some did have the crazy paperwork.  I will keep looking, when the right one comes along, I am sure it will work out. 

This is the group we got our puppy through. Here is a very cute lab/German Shephed mix.  It is a puppy though.  They were nice to work with. In New Philly. Not sure where you are at. They did ask questions and just wanted to get an overall feel for the environment but not nasty in any way. Good luck with your search!!!

http://h2erescue.com/individual/?album=2466