Feeling The Need For Gas Grill - What Do You Like?

JohnG

The sear burner is completely different than infrared.  It is used to seal the meat, basically heating the outer part and locking in the flavor, especially if you prefer medium or below red meat.  I turn mine on when I turn my grill on, toss 2 big steaks on it, and sear each side for 1-1.5 mins each.  Then I toss them on the regular grill to actually cook them to medium.  But what you want to use the sear burner for is locking in the juice and the flavor which is done at a very high direct heat.  My sear burner has a ceramic filter looking thing that distributes the heat evenly as Jbot said. 

The infrared basically is to distribute the heat more evenly, as you will notice Crazyskull andm yself both said that ours get hotter in the rear of the burner, this is because the burners are rounded there and have more holes than on the other end, meaning more heat.  The infrared is like a tray that goes on top of the burners and as it nears the edges of teh grill grate it rounds closer bringing the heat closer to the item being grilled, and farther away where it is closer to the burner.

You kinda have to look at the differences though in person b ecause not all sear bruners have the thing mine does, some are just open burners with no tents on them in which case you can make it yoruself on any grill like I had. 

• Upvote 2

So get this...  The grill on craigslist that I posted?  I was e-mailing and phone calling with the guy and was set to go see it this afternoon or maybe this weekend when he stopped responding.  Then the add disappeared...  Then he leaves me a voicemail to say that he was sorry but he sold it to his neighbor.  Grrr, craigslist sometimes...   :bigfinger:

Pick up an older genesis or better yet, an old summit. People don't know what they have.

I definitely go for re-use when I can, just not seeing much in the way of Weber's on c-list...  You mentioned fuel economy - not having owned a gas grill before, is there a noticeable difference between grills?  I can only assume that the larger the grill the more fuel it'll use, but then my turkey fryer is like a frickin' jet engine and it doesn't seem to use much!

That's true, not an over abundance of webers on cl but they do pop up. I have nothing else to base propane economy off of, but I've used ours for like 5 dinners for two so far since getting it and propane tank is still going strong.

nice! I glanced at a few grills while I was at Home Depot today picking up parts for a new fountain for the wife. still undecided.

Honestly if you're not using it A LOT, you'd be fine with any cheaper make/model. I know your pain though, took forever for me to decide!

Honestly if you're not using it A LOT, you'd be fine with any cheaper make/model. I know your pain though, took forever for me to decide!

yeah, dammit, I overthink things sometimes... I like quality, just hate to pay top dollar for it.

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty. :-)