Feeling The Need For Gas Grill - What Do You Like?

JohnG

I'm a charcoal man.  Always have been.  Won't get rid of my Weber Kettle anytime soon.  It will always have a place on my patio.  But I'm feeling the need for a nice gas grill to enhance the whole outdoor cooking experience.  My thoughts/needs:  Gotta be stainless (duh), large zoneable cooking area, side burner, work surface, enclosed storage.

Not sure I need infrared - seems like a nice option, but really why?  I'd love to stay with Weber, but DAMN the expense!  Charbroil  seems to make a nice commercial grade model...

Let's have your ideas and what have you got that works for you?  It's Memorial Day weekend and all the stores are putting out nice sales on grills.

BTW, Lowe's is doing the two 20 pound bags of Kingsford for $9.99 right now...

Charbroil is no longer the throw away grills they once were, matter of fact they rate as some of the very best now. Weber is "not" the grills they once were IMHO, and more expensive is not always better. I am a a charcoal man, but will use a gas grill for convenience sometimes.

Edited by Pokey

Charbroil is no longer the throw away grills they once were, matter of fact they rate as some of the very best now. Weber is "not" the grills they once were IMHO, and more expensive is not always better. I am a a charcoal man, but will use a gas grill for convenience sometimes.

Yeah, I'm getting that impression about Charbroil.  And I'll probably always do the main course on charcoal, but I want to be able to do sides and sauces outside, too.

Yeah, I'm getting that impression about Charbroil.  And I'll probably always do the main course on charcoal, but I want to be able to do sides and sauces outside, too.

They are also totally able to be rebuilt too, which is much cheaper than a new grill. 

My charbroil wasn't too bad either. Picked it up for $99 in the summer of 08 and used it almost 5 years before it was completely rusting out

Charbroil has come a VERY long way since then. 

My charbroil wasn't too bad either. Picked it up for $99 in the summer of 08 and used it almost 5 years before it was completely rusting out

I think I remember you posting up about getting rid of it?  Was it too far gone to rebuild?  I've thought about surfing c-list for a used grill...

this is the one I been wanting to get.  Some good reviews some bad.  I am guessing the bad are from people that get the heat to high and burn it out.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-5050_0__?productId=1245537&Ntt=grill&Ns=p_product_price|1

Saw that one last year or so...  Really have my mind set on stainless.  Want the side burner option too.

I think I remember you posting up about getting rid of it?  Was it too far gone to rebuild?  I've thought about surfing c-list for a used grill...

nope probably didnt even need a rebuild. A new flame guard and grates was all it needed really. I sold it locally for $40. This is the black 2 burner one I had that I've been referencing

I totally forgot I had a big ass Stainless 5 burner one. That wasn't bad but the build quality was shitty, sold it for $100

Edited by Bad324

Id grab that one off CL if i was you.  That is legit.  If not I had a Char Broil I bought for 199 and lasted 6 years, and all I ever replaced were the hoods over the burners once.  I just picked up a NexGrill on some random sale HD was having, it was a 499 grill for 199, a few weeks ago.  This thing is LEGIT.  Super high quality steel, hood is stainless, stainless burners(4 in the grill area), sear burner, and side burner both on the sides.  The tank rests in this pull out tray to make swaps super easy, and tons of storage underneath in a double door little setup.

I dunno what HD is selling them for right now, but I would definitely have been happy even paying twice what I did.  This thing heats up in 1-2 minutes to 500+ degrees, and I can fit about anything I want.  It also has the optional mounting holes for a roterserie if you want one.  I have a smoker so no need here.

I'd buy Charbroil again had they had a similar deal on something as nice as mine, but they didnt and I am very happy with my new one.

I have a brinkman 4 std burner + side burner + rotisserie burner I got at HD. Its on its third season, stays outside all year, only covered during the winter and its holding up great. One little spot of rust from where I forgot to lock the casters and the wind blew it into the porch and chipped the paint. I've used the side burner MAYBE twice and wouldn't spend the extra money on one in the future. The rotisserie burner is nice , throw a pork tenderloin on the top rack and turn it every few minutes, or they sell an electric rotating spit that bolts on for like $35. My only complaint is that it burns way hotter in the back than front which is annoying if you have a full grill and constantly have to rotate your meat front to back. I've been told ceramic briquettes will remedy this, just have to fund some that will bridge the gap between the flame guards. The electric ignition takes a single AA and still works on the original battery.

Totally agree with above, I actually tried to NOT get a side burner, but I did want a sear burner.  The only model I found like that was at Big Lots, it was a huge grill but the sear burner was inside the main grill portion and I didn't want that either.  That and it was 100.00 more than mine.  I had used the side burner exactly 1 time for beans on my old grill and only use that for a table on the new grill.  I did use the sear burner several times for steaks and it's awesome for sure.  Granted I basically made my own sear burner on my old grill by removing one of the burner tents and it worked fine, but I wanted a legit one with the ceramic thing to heat evenly and wow it's awesome.

My parents have an infared one(Kroger end of season) and it's smaller, but perfect for the 2 of them.  Dad loves it and it cooks really well, no hot spots like what Crazyskull said, cuz mine has the hotter back section as well, I usually use that and rotate all my meat around.  I may have to look at the rotiserie though.

this is the one I been wanting to get.  Some good reviews some bad.  I am guessing the bad are from people that get the heat to high and burn it out.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-5050_0__?productId=1245537&Ntt=grill&Ns=p_product_price|1

I almost bought that thing last summer.  I decided I didn't need to spend that much and bought this,

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=221377-40307-720-0737&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3264939&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

so far so good.  all SS burners and cast iron grids.    does not come with a cover though.  it seems like most don't these days.  if you don't cover it the bottom will fill up with water. 

any of you know anyone with the infrared grills yet?

Edited by serpentracer

I have a new grill. It has a searing burner as well as 2 normal gas burners. I was told the searing is great for steak but have not tried it yet.

We.....WE have a new grill :rolleyes: just because you can outcook me doesn't negate the fact it's OURS :D

And it's a 4 burner + ceramic sear inside + side burner + double door storage underneath. Sears, got ours for $285 marked down from $400. Good size cooking area, cast iron grates http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=07123679000P&reviewCount=5&threshold=0.0&defaultFullfillment=DDC&itemSrc=Online

Edited by Hellmutt

Just picked up a weber s310 propane. It heats up redonkulous fast and cooks very nice and seems to be very fuel efficient. Once I get my ng line out to the patio and/or deck, I'll be doing a conversion.

We.....WE have a new grill :rolleyes: just because you can outcook me doesn't negate the fact it's OURS :D

And it's a 4 burner + ceramic sear inside + side burner + double door storage underneath. Sears, got ours for $285 marked down from $400. Good size cooking area, cast iron grates http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=07123679000P&reviewCount=5&threshold=0.0&defaultFullfillment=DDC&itemSrc=Online

Nice looking grill...

So, let's talk about the sear burner function.  Different from the infrared function?  How specifically do you use it to enhance your grilling?  There are time's when I would like a SMOKING HOT grill to get a true rare/medium rare steak the way I like them.  Would you use the sear burner to do your steaks that way?