How-to Bleed Brakes

Strictly Street

You should have a noticeably firmer lever after braided stainless lines are installed. It may not seem like air could still be trapped in the lines, but it is there.

Try to bleed a few more times and see if it firms up.

After bleeding, pull the lever to the bar (after relieving pressure at the bleeder), and zip tie the lever and leave it overnight (make sure you re-tighten the bleeder). Pump it up i the morning and see if it did not help the lever feel.

Last thing to try...

Crack the banjo bolt at the master cylinder while pulling the lever (just like bleeding at the caliper), but do not crank on it...gentle pull and see if you get air (retighten the bolt before letting go of the lever). Make sure you cover the entire area with rags, and I would cover the bolt when you crack it and pull the lever. More than likely you have air trapped at the master banjo where the two lines attach.

What he said, and^^^^^

How to bleed brakes on a bike.

This of course must be done while swearing loudly and throwing wrenches across the garage or across the street if you have no garage. Hopefully there is a small child nearby to be scarred for life with your language.

To save a small child from a life of crime here is my non-patented, DIY, your totally on your own, no guarantees express or implied, way of not going crazy trying to get the job done.

Air trapped at the banjo or the split for the dual brake lines or caught in any other area can be a real pain in the a$$ to get rid of.

First, the air can get back into the lines if you fumble tightening the bleeder nut or have any other real world problem reaching both the brake lever and the bleeder nut at the same time while trying to not tip over the bike or squirt brake fluid all over your nice paint job. This is most likely the reason you were throwing wrenches in the first place.

Go to LOWE's or the like and pick up 6 feet of clear plastic tubing that fits over the bleeder nut snugly. ($2)

Attach it to the bleeder nut leaving room to get a wrench on the nut without removing the tubing.

Loop the tubing up over the handlebars at least as high as the brake Reservoir if not a few inches higher. You can get the end into a container of some sort to control the overflow.

(See the pic - classic photoshop eh?)

+++++++++

WARNING!!!!!

Brake fluid eats paint and discolors plastic and is very bad for anything else it touches!!!!

BE CAREFUL BRAKE FLUID WILL SQUIRT OUT OF THE RESERVOIR WHEN YOU SQUEEZE THE LEVER!!

DON'T LET THE RESERVOIR GO DRY AS THAT IS SUCKING AIR IN FROM THE TOP.

+++++++++

Now you can crack loose the bleeder nut and fill up the Reservoir. Notice the the fluid in the tube settles to a level and the air bubbles rise to the top.

Here is where this method really works out. The air cannot get sucked back into the lines as it just rises through the fluid in the tube. SO with a few squeezes you get almost all the air out.

Now for those nasty banjo and splitter air pockets. With a little practice with your now sealed but still open brake system. You can now have fluid flow in both directions to and from the master cylinder. Use this to 'rock' the air bubbles out. Small gentle pulls on the lever are all you need.

After you think you have it, just close the bleeder nut, recap the Reservoir and give it a try. Not happy with the results? Do it again. Over time you will get all the air out.

Do the same thing for the other side.

hillbilly%20brake%20bleeder%20sm.jpg

Good luck! :)

More info here:http://http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/100437-break-lever-pressure/

Edited by Strictly Street
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, in my attempt, I accidently sucked some air into the line from the resevoir  - I didn't notice it went dry.  So, I worked it through by adding more fluid and opening the bleed valve, pumping the brake, repeat, etc.  Sooo, how do i know its ok and all the air is out?  I kept going until I had 20 brake pumps without air.  Is that enough or is there still air in there??