Bluetooth Headsets?

max power

My company recently decided that we all need to go "Hands Free" in our company vehicles and told us to go buy a bluetooth device under $40.

I typically plug my phone into the trucks stereo and use it hands free anyway, I decided to look for a Bluetooth stereo headset with a mic under $40. 

All the ones on Fleabay look cheap. 

example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Universal-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-with-Mic-for-iPhone-5-4S-Ipods-/160982827585?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item257b530241

any recommendations?

Are these things not universal?  My Work Phone is a Galaxy 2 and my personal phone (that my work phone is always forwarded to) is and iPhone5.

I got the Motorola H17 Bluetooth headset. It's $25 shipped on Amazon. I love it, simple no frills and works every time for me. The fit is perfect without huge bulky plastic pieces. It's really small and portable so it's not overly obnoxious

Do lots of research- I have a samsung something bluetooth mated to my phone, it was 20-25 bucks and I get complaints constantly. 

Mine had a 3.5 out of 5 star 'like' reviews...idiots must have been screaming at each other in a box to think this was an upgrade. 

hey, this is an email from an ironpony employee, might help

substantially more expensive, however, minus what your company is going to pay, could work?

dunno, but here;

Glad to hear from you!  Sounds like an awesome ride.  I'm still riding daily, and loving it, I will ride until there is ice on the road or temp drops below 20.  I'll have to try the helmet tip, had never thought of that.  Mine is a much cheaper ($130) HJC that I like, but I do occasionally have wind noise, I'll try tweaking the screws.

As far as intercoms, I bought one this Summer, so can provide voice of experience.  I did a lot of research and talked with friends, and wound up getting a Bluetooth intercom mid-August, the Cardo Scala Rider G9.  You can see several here:  http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-bluetooth-communications

It can support 8 simultaneous intercom sessions, and stream MP3s, cellphone calls, GPS directions, and has built in FM radio.  The call clarity is awesome.  The battery is also pretty long-lived.  I got the G9 because it had voice commands - but find that I use more voice commands on my iPhone than I do the unit itself, so might have been able to save a bit by going with the G4.  

I got turn-by-turn directions on a 500 mile ride to Philly through the twisties and backroads, it was awesome.  I was streaming MP3s (voice command "Play Music, Beatles"), and getting turn-by-turn directions from my iPhone Garmin app (free trial), "In 1 quarter mile, turn left onto State Route 35" :-)  I got a phone call, it played my ring tone and turned down the music volume to 1/2.  I answered the call by speaking ("Answer call"), and took a phone call.  Not only did they not know I was  doing 70mph in light mist (unit is waterproof), but the turn-by-turn continued when necessary to make sure I didn't miss turns while on the call, and they didn't hear the directions from the Garmin.  When I hung up that call, I pushed a button on the helmet-mounted unit, waited for my phone to respond with the voice input tone, and dialed (voice command. When the call was over, my MP3s started streaming again.  It was awesome.  The FM radio is also great, with strongest signal and alternate station search functions.  I've yet to use the intercom functions, but have been told it's pretty awesome, though your mileage may vary as far as getting the full 1 mile range for line of sight.  I got an adapter for my Battery Tender to cigarette lighter, and from there cigarette lighter -> USB -> iPhone, so have a powered connection for my iPhone that was simple, so GPS doesn't completely drain my phone battery.  After 10 hours on the bike, the phone was warm, fully charged, and I had 10 hours of media and map support from the Scala G9.

You'll find that the G4 or G9 are not really discounted online.  The price you'll pay at Iron Pony is basically the same you'll find online, likely less compared to paying shipping.  The margins are so tight on this that I think it's the same price you see on Amazon, Revzilla, etc.  The philosophy a friend introduced me to long before I worked at Iron Pony is that you should support your local bike shop if the price is close, because you want your bike shop to be there and be successful, support you with advice, return policies and inventory, and you can't get advice and help from the Bangalore call center used by the online retailer.  This is a case where it works out pretty well, and only coincidentally aligns with my employer. :-)  When it was a BIG difference (like my fairing was $50 different) I bought online, but find the Pony to be a pretty good buy, and usually competitive with the online retailers by the time you factor in shipping.

I'm basically "laid off" for the season now, they don't have enough hours for me to work in the off-season, but hope to maybe work 2-4 days over the Black Friday shopping rush.

Ride safe, and take care.

All of the ones that I have paid under $60 have been junk. I use one all day, every day. I can't stand holding a phone up to my head all day long.

Good luck with your search.