Might Wanna Cover That Pistol Better...

smccrory

To whoever was riding a sport bike on 71 south to 161 at 11 am this (Saturday) morning, you might want to better conceal your pistol.

Yes you, in your light T shirt riding up your back exposing the IWB-tucked medium frame semi. I didn't mind but anyone else seeing it might dial 911 and report your license plate to verify a license and make sure you aren't up to no good.

C'mon folks, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Wrap that rascal.

• Upvote 1

But.....if he has his CHL, he is totally legal whether any of us agree with how he chose to carry. My jacket rides up a bit exposing my holster sometimes, but I will never have it out in full view on purpose. If he were to get pulled over because of somebody calling him in, or were he to be seen by police, then he would have to show ID and proof of CHL. I agree with ya though, keep a low profile and try not to draw unwanted attention to yourself "because you will draw attention". I carry an IWB much of the time now, so chances of anyone knowing I am carrying is slim to none......just how I like it.

HAPPY CARRYING!!!

Edited by Pokey

I pretty much open carry 90% of the time due to fact that when i stated carry a gun when I was 19, it was on my duty belt... if i am riding most likely I have my 380 in my jacket pocket...

I see no problem here. Open carry is legal. If he has a CHL on a bike (vehicle) he's all good. I don't fret if my jacket comes up over my XD while riding. Why should I? Ruin it for the rest of us? How? Was I "ruining it for the rest of us" when a Burger King employee saw me holstered when I changed my shirt in the parking lot before going in? Sorry, I'm legal. Don't even NEED the CHL I was asked if I had.

Yes, the dude on the bike did, as a bike is a vehicle and requires a CHL to carry while "in vehicle". But what makes u think he didn't?

NoBama 2012

• Upvote 1

To whoever was riding a sport bike on 71 south to 161 at 11 am this (Saturday) morning, you might want to better conceal your pistol.

Yes you, in your light T shirt riding up your back exposing the IWB-tucked medium frame semi. I didn't mind but anyone else seeing it might dial 911 and report your license plate to verify a license and make sure you aren't up to no good.

C'mon folks, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Wrap that rascal.

You are joking .... Right????

Shirt or jacket riding up and exposing your piece happens, for sure not a big deal in Ohio. There is nothing to apologize for when your are obeying the law, whether it appears you are doing so or not.

Don't you mean, "if that's not your intention, then take better caution to conceal.. otherwise, happy carrying" :dunno:

Also, thanks for this thread. I was about to delete my membership due to complete boredom. Now, I can sit back and wait for the NRA circle-jerk frenzy and laugh at everything I'm about to witness.

Agreed, thanks IP, that's exactly what I meant, but I guess the NRA circle-jerk frenzy you predicted, and now playing out, needed my point to be spelled out better.  My bad...

"Ermagerd, ees thertening meh rahts!  Ahnd tahken uer jabs!  Kohld ded hahnds!"

Since I gotta spell it out, here goes.  It's not about having the legal right to carry open, or even concealed with a license.  It's about being modest, thoughtful and respectful enough to not shove it in people's faces, when the outcome could result in local, city, state and federal ordinances that curtail those rights.  All he had to do is better plan for his ride with a tucked shirt or better gun placement.  I hope he manages his gun and bike better than that.

As motorcyclists we've got enough stereotypes to deal with after The Wild One, The Wild Angels, Sons of Anarchy, Fast and Furious and a bunch of other trashy "biker-ploitation" flicks that give society an exaggerated view of us as danger-hungry violence-prone outlaws.

Imagine this - A suburban soccer mom (whose vote counts the same as yours, remember) carrying kiddos around on a Saturday, with hardly any prior contact with firearms, sees a "biker" with a gun.  She might 1) call the cops and report his plate and divert them from more important duties, 2) tell her friends (who also vote) about the crime she surely stopped, 3) lay down the law with her partner that their kids shall not participate in camp shooting sports because that's how these things get started, and 4) vote for gun control at every future opportunity when she might otherwise have been ambivalent in the past.  Ill-informed?  Sure.  But to her, she's protecting her children from a perceived threat and just being a good mom and citizen.  Imagine another person recently separated from a friend or family member and worried about domestic violence, and what their default mindframe would be seeing an exposed gun on the back of a motorcyclist.

Again, this has nothing to do with ur gahd-given rahts, it's about not inviting societal responses that will curtail those rights if given enough justification.  Look, I'm a motorcyclist, a CHL holder, gun enthusiast (for more years than some of you have been alive) and NRA member myself, but I believe we should be more respectful (and grateful) for the delicate detente we have with society.  Some of you see this detente as a result of us poking the bear in the eyes and proving our rights, but there's also a critically important layer of trust at play. Currently, we are not seen as enough of a threat to society to warrant additional gun control.  But don't take that for granted.  There are plenty of people who, upon seeing more guns exposed in the open, will take that as a call to respond.

We can be all cocky and crow about our constitutional rights on soapboxes, and unashamedly carry ugly guns for all to see and be willing to argue our rights to anyone who has the guts to call us out, but in the end, what have we accomplished to those on the fence?  We come off as arrogant, insensitive and un-attentive to concealment details, mouthpieces for an industrial lobby, and one-sided about demanding respect for our rights while pushing aside others who don't want themselves or their kids to see guns out in the open.

If you don't get what I'm saying at this point, there's little hope I'd be able to get it through to you.  But, at least I've speelled it out.

Happy carrying and riding, but please, mind how our behaviors shape the overall debate.

• Upvote 1

I get what your saying, and I have a concealed carry license for a reason, so I can conceal it. But, open carry is legal in Ohio. Weather you me or Barney Fife likes it of not. 

Last year I went riding with a friend and was over in his neighborhood (Groveport). We had just ended our ride and were coming back through his development and my gun was sticking out of my jacket. Next thing you know Groveport PD is 4 cars deep in the area looking for a man on a motorcycle with a gun. I was already stopped and off the bike when we noticed them. One of the responding officers came toward us and stopped about 20 ft away from my buddies driveway (barricade position). Hand on his gun he asks me to come toward him. Not trying to fuel the fire I complied, but once he asked me for ID I did ask what I did wrong and informed him I was a Concealed Carry holder and was a former officer. Once I showed him my creds he ran me and went on his way. 

This goes to your point of unwanted attention, but it also goes to what he did was legal and if he's willing to deal with the situations that arise then that is on him or anyone else. 

Sometimes you have to exercise your rights. If you don't the government may feel their not that big of a deal to you. All of the sudden they may be gone, then what? Just because I don't OC I AM FOR HAVING THE RIGHT TO DO SO!!! And to those who don't like it, change the channel. 

• Upvote 3

Just because people are ignorant of the law and departments to lazy to train their officers that carrying a firearm does not give them probable cause is not a reason that I should curtail my own rights. If more people did open carry they would show the ignorant people there is nothing wrong with it. PD departments need to tell people there is nothing wrong with law abiding citizens with a firearm. Educate by being a good example. The soccer mom you referred to is already trying to push for laws against those scary guns but where has that gone so far? Ive got no problem buying 30 round mags yet. Also cops who would be ignorant enough to respond to a call of someone not breaking the law probably won't be much help with something "more important".

Dude, they don't know someone isn't breaking the law until they check them. Think about the scenarios of what could unfold if they DON'T respond, and the carrier does something illegal.

That would be guilty before proven innocent, and last I checked per the Supreme Court, the presence of a gun does not equal a crime.

Agree, but Police and Joe Q Public tend to see you as a potential threat and alarming citizens that cannot mind their own business...........both of which is bullshite. But it is what it is, and pistols being displayed in public is never going to go over well in most places or instances.

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 2

This is a debate that wont end until laws are perfect (never gonna happen), and even then people wont like it. My point to this is riding down the highway with your sidearm "ACCIDENTALLY" hanging out is no need to call for alarm. Even if it was on purpose, no crime. Guy takes it out and starts waiving it around and pointing it at people, crime..... I feel that open carry draws way to much unwanted attention, but I support it at the same time. This is a very conflicting feeling. :dunno:

Edited by baggyp
  • Upvote 1

Dude, they don't know someone isn't breaking the law until they check them. Think about the scenarios of what could unfold if they DON'T respond, and the carrier does something illegal.

Just carrying a gun is not illegal and not an indication that a crime is about to happen therefore no reason to respond. Your comparison is about the same as saying that riding a sportbike opens you up to have people call the cops because your bike could go fast.