Continue To Wear My Gear Or Trash It?

Gunner75

My insurance company is supposed to be calling me soon to settle up on the loss of my gear. I have a few questions. 

Here is what my jacket looks like, Its obvious that my back piece took the greatest impact. My question is, should I continue to wear my jacket or should I trash it? There are no broken seams or anything and the CE armor plate in the back looks like it should be good. The other question is, my helmet doesnt look like it took any impact at all. There are no scrapes or cracks or anything else noting that it took any damage. Should I claim it as a loss just incase?

989712_4541865874774_1565490989_o_zps042

I would say yes.  Even thou you don't see any serious caution to your gear, down the road if you are still wearing the jacket and helmet something happens?  Then you sould be shelling out the $$$.  I would say claim it and get new gear.  Keep the current stuff for back up, for like a quick 30min ride or something.

Edited by mfs81

I agree, claim it as a loss and replace it all. You can keep it for spares just in case, or gift it to someone that has no gear and pay it forward

Edited by Hellmutt

Allstate is telling me to make a list of all my gear how much I paid for it and then go to my local agents office so I can turn in my gear to them so they can issue a pay out on it. Sounds like they arent even going to allow me to keep it. 

mm... at least they are not going to argue with you over the current condition of the product and say no.  prob their way of saying we give you money for that gear and than cheating the system...  at least you can get new gear now.

Allstate is telling me to make a list of all my gear how much I paid for it and then go to my local agents office so I can turn in my gear to them so they can issue a pay out on it. Sounds like they arent even going to allow me to keep it. 

thats nice then, I'd go that route

I have my insurance with Progressive. Two years ago when I had my encounter with the deer wanting to ride piggyback with me, they did not exchange words about my gear. They said to make a list of the gear I was wearing with current prices and they cut me a check for all of it & let me keep the old. I ended up with a new helmet, mesh jacket, gloves & rainsuit and continue to use the helmet & gloves as spares. My mesh jacket would have still been usable but the EMT's got a little crazy with the scissors!