Zimmerman Trial

Scruit

The trial appears to be relatively down-to-earth compared to the other big trials (Anthony, OJ, Michael Jackson etc)

Something that the prosecutor seems to be trying to do is suggest that Zimmerman was on top during the scuffle, and Martin was the one on the ground getting beat.  This doesn't work for me for three reasons:

- All the physical evidence is consistent with Zimmerman being on the ground and getting beat.  M had no beating injuries, Z did.  M had dirty knees, Z did not.  Z had the broken nose and head injuries consistent with his version of events.

- They have not accused Z of being on top, yet are happy to let witnesses say that they didn't know who was on top. Sh!t or get off the pot - either you're saying he was on top, or you're not. 

- The only witness to give a definite answer on who was on top/bottom said that the man in red was on the bottom - that was Z

One thing said by the girlfriend fried a synapse in my head that I'm glad also went off in the defense's minds too...  She said that she was sure Z attacked M not the other way around because, she said, that if M was going to start a fight he would tell her, hang up on her and ask her to call back and check on him.   That made me wonder; "How many fights does M usually start, that he has an arranged method of her checking up on him afterwards?"    Either that is true and that paints M as a regular fighter (which contradicts any testimony that is was not a violent person), or it has never happened and she is lying about how he handles fights while on the phone.  If I was on the jury I'd take the "This is how he handles fights" testimony as proving him to be prone to violence.

She also hurt her credibility when she insisted that she heard Z punch M on the phone, yet under cross she was unable to indicate how she could tell the difference between who punched who.  She agreed that it was impossible for her to know who smacked who.  She she insists that Z smacked M.  This tells em that she is not merely testifying from memory, but adding a layer of her own interpretation.  This is troubling and would lead me, as a juror, to discount any testimony from her that indicated who did what unless she could prove how she knew which way round it was.  This would eliminate any testimony on whose voice it was was calling for help.  This essentially renders her testimony moot, as the remainder of her testimony matches Z's account.  Also notably absent is any mention of the gun in her calls, consistent with Z's story that the gun came out during the final seconds of the fights.

So far the neighbors have all just said it was two men fighting.  One said the larger person was on top, making her believe it was Z.  She then said her idea of who was bigger or smaller was based upon the picture of M in the media in the following weeks- the 12 year of picture.  Upon seeing a more recent picture of M she stated that she could not longer tell who was on top.  One other neighbor so far has given an opinion on who was on top/bottom, stating the person on bottom was in red - which was Z, and is consistent with Z's account, and he further reiterated a the guy on top was engaged in an MMA-style Ground and pound.  That testimony, unless refuted, might just be the most critical in the entire trial.

At this point the prosecution is officially relying solely on the theory that because Z followed M that all events that followed were blamed on Z.  They have repeatedly tried to suggest that Z attacked M, however that puts them in conflict with the physical evidence and not one witness so far has put Z on top until after the gunshot where Z was checking M's status.  They have failed to make any kind of a compelling case to suggest that Z initiated the fight.

So far no witness nor piece of physical evidence has refuted any part of Z's story.

• Upvote 1

this is precisely like every other race based trial this last decade.

death threats galore are being tweeted about what will happen if zimmerman doesn't get life/death penalty etc etc.

Color has zip importance for me, the kid was a pretend thug from what I've seen, zimmerman was a wanna be cop from what i've seen.

likely a bit of guilt on both parties. 

how it washes out, dunno, but I'm glad I'm not down there.

LA was NOT  a good place for a white guy after OJ, and King verdicts 

• Upvote 2

Race should never have been part of this case.  This is a simple case of an assault and a shooting - the only question is who initiated the assault.   If it was M then it was a good shoot.  If it was Z then Z goes to jail.

They just showed record that Zimmerman did MMA training back in 2011.  i wonder how long he trained for and what level of competency he had.  The obvious question is "If he is MMA trained then why couldn't he escape a mount?"

I think theyre both dipshits and both guilty.

I've said all along that Z's actions were inadvisable, but not illegal.  Being followed in a public place is not grounds for a physical attack. 

Edited by Scruit

They just showed record that Zimmerman did MMA training back in 2011.  i wonder how long he trained for and what level of competency he had.  The obvious question is "If he is MMA trained then why couldn't he escape a mount?"

The MMMA is better and some guys just dont want to escape a mount ;)

Two things are also apparent to me:

1) The prosecution appears to have given up on a conviction and are just going through the motions - many of their witnesses are actually help the defense more than the prosecution.  Their star witness did not come close to making their case, and the remaining witnesses are all telling stories that match Z's story.  And this is the prosecution's case - the defense has still to put on its case.  I predict a fast acquittal unless something remarkable happens.

2) I see this having a knock-on effect on those who represent neighborhood watch organizations.  I think many will start implementing more formal rules of engagement with "following" prohibited.

Placing bets now on how big the riots will be when found not guilty, LA size or bigger? Dumb ass simple minded African American young people will use it as their excuse.

And no, Im not being racist. They always do it and blame the white people. Its fucking stupid.

• Upvote 3

Well, considering Zimmerman is hispanic not white, it'll be interesting to see where any rage might be directed. Hopefully people respect the decision of the court.

He's half white, they promote that part in the media because that helps the cause of making him a villain against an African American boy
  • Upvote 1

He's half white, they promote that part in the media because that helps the cause of making him a villain against an African American boy

I'm quite sure they'd report him as a martian if it got them more ratings.

• Upvote 2

Well, considering Zimmerman is hispanic not white, it'll be interesting to see where any rage might be directed.  Hopefully people respect the decision of the court.

as noted, he was reported initially as a Hispanic white... inflammatory racial provocation by all media outlets. 

Listening to that main witness, that young lady with a horrific neck ring of fat, I learned today that "cracker" is NOT a racial term.

Nigger is a racial term, nigga is not a racial term,  and they are going to hang that zipperman regardless of guilt to appease the nation of those offended. Both guilty feeling white liberal news media types, and black americans who are sure this guy voted against everything they stand for. 

NOT one mention during the whole trial that black on black crime  is beyond acceptable in this country, but lo' we have one maybe whitish dude who killed one definitely blackish dude, so let the riots begin

Can obama have a beer summit or something?

edited to add obama jab, sorry, can't help myself 

Edited by Medina
  • Upvote 2

as noted, he was reported initially as a Hispanic white... inflammatory racial provocation by all media outlets. 

Listening to that main witness, that young lady with a horrific neck ring of fat, I learned today that "cracker" is NOT a racial term.

Nigger is a racial term, nigga is not a racial term,  and they are going to hang that zipperman regardless of guilt to appease the nation of those offended. Both guilty feeling white liberal news media types, and black americans who are sure this guy voted against everything they stand for. 

NOT one mention during the whole trial that black on black crime  is beyond acceptable in this country, but lo' we have one maybe whitish dude who killed one definitely blackish dude, so let the riots begin

Can obama have a beer summit or something?

edited to add obama jab, sorry, can't help myself 

I'm seeing the same thing. The "trial" is devolving into race baiting.

Consider headlines on some news sites:

CRACKER CRIME:

'Why Black People Understand Rachel Jeantel'...

'What White People Don't Understand'...

SALON: The smearing...

State's star witness 'more effective for defense'...

SHOW TRIAL...

Zimmerman Acquittal to Cause Race Riots?

Not much here about the rule of law or even the evidence at hand. All about race...

• Upvote 2

If Z is found guilty:  It will prove yet again that our justice system is more flawed than ever and that our government (at all levels) will cave to the pressures of media and a population of Americans African Americans who continue to cry foul every time one of them gets looked at funny.

If Z is found innocent:  It will only uphold what every rational and logical person already knows...the truth.  Riots will ensue.

Just sayin'.