I Am Royally Pissed And Screwed!

Kent2406

Good thing you aren't in AZ, they have a dumb driver law. Thats really what it is referred to as. Basically if you drive into water on a roadway and your vehicle gets damaged you get cited and your insurance doesnt cover the damages. The bitch of it is that the ground here doesnt handle water well at all and the road way can be washed away from underneath. So it may look like a puddle that's a 1/4 inch deep but actually bee a three foot hole. Also for some strange reason Arizona doesn't put bridges on many of their roads. So you have washes (creek beds) that cross the roads and anytime it rains there's a flash flood.

Good thing you aren't in AZ, they have a dumb driver law. Thats really what it is referred to as. Basically if you drive into water on a roadway and your vehicle gets damaged you get cited and your insurance doesnt cover the damages. The bitch of it is that the ground here doesnt handle water well at all and the road way can be washed away from underneath. So it may look like a puddle that's a 1/4 inch deep but actually bee a three foot hole. Also for some strange reason Arizona doesn't put bridges on many of their roads. So you have washes (creek beds) that cross the roads and anytime it rains there's a flash flood.

He would be fine.

That law only applies to barricaded areas. So if a road is closed due to flooding, and you drive around the barricade, then you're liable.

He would be fine.

That law only applies to barricaded areas. So if a road is closed due to flooding, and you drive around the barricade, then you're liable.

I've seen DPS cite people for it for trying to cross a flooded wash even though it wasn't barricaded. The only sign they had were the regular ones that say do not enter when flooded. But I live and work in a very rural area.

I've seen DPS cite people for it for trying to cross a flooded wash even though it wasn't barricaded. The only sign they had were the regular ones that say do not enter when flooded. But I live and work in a very rural area.

Odd... Reading the actual law it states barricaded road ways... I would fight that ticket for sure.

A. A driver of a vehicle who drives the vehicle on a public street or highway that is temporarily covered by a rise in water level, including groundwater or overflow of water, and that is barricaded because of flooding is liable for the expenses of any emergency response that is required to remove from the public street or highway the driver or any passenger in the vehicle that becomes inoperable on the public street or highway or the vehicle that becomes inoperable on the public street or highway, or both.

When i read it I'm pretty sure there was a part B that tied it into reckless op for entering water that has risen onto the roadway. I think the barricade thing applies to the rescue workers being able to charge the driver upto $2,000. The big thing is the insurance being able to say they won't pay.

Part A says flooded AND barricaded, part b makes you liable for emergency costs (if convicted for part a only) , part c sets the 2k limit and part d relieves your insurance company's liability to the state.. Whether they would cover the vehicle or not is probably company policy based

phoenix.gov/fire/safety/onthemove/motorist/

However, maybe there's another law somewhere that rolls those posted flood areas into the definition of barricaded or something... Idk... We have one right by my house with a sign that says do not enter when flooded

Edited by Steve Butters

In West Virginia many of the rural roads go right down creek beds. I wonder what their rules are on driving into a flooded roadway?

I'm betting it along the lines of "If the waters too deep, don't drive into it. If you get stuck, good luck to you. You are on your own."

Edited by max power