Question For The Car Guys

max power

02 4Runner 3.4 V6

Went to change the air filter today and the old one has some oil on it.

It has a recovery chamber of some sort mounted on the air tube and is connected by a hose to the manifold.

I changed the plugs and wires last week and when I removed the air tube for access I found this tank full of oil. After finding oil in the air filter today, I picked up a new PCV valve and grommet and changed them. The old one still rattles and I did the ol suck and blow on it and found it to still function correctly.

When I removed the tank/air hose, the tank was full of oil again.

What is causing this issue and what do I check next?

Edited by max power

Compression tester with a long flexible hose should do it. Unless you have one of the unusual requirements for a special extension.

Weak or broken ring, or even the ring gaps rotated to all line up, is a good guess. Weak/broken valve guide seals might also be a guess. Those can be changed out without pulilng the head if you're careful.

Plug up stuff as required, and put your hand over an opening on the valve cover. Some vehicles have positive pressure there, but most don't have anything worth noticing. If it's puffing/pushing on your hand, it's got pressure from the cylinders, where it doesn't belong. Won't always tell anything. A compression test is the right way to find what it is. If you do both wet and dry, it will know if it's rings or valve seals.

Or... ask Porter. heh

edit: btw, my old Jeep (260,000) blows oil into the air filter all the time. I don't care. Not a lot of oil.

Edited by ReconRat

Does Porter even log on anymore? Seems a lot of the old regulars have disappeared. Dont see Chevy much anymore either.

Fuckin shame.

A lot of old folk can't get used to the change?

Also it seems every year older more and more responsibilities creep up and Porter is OLD :D

Does Porter even log on anymore? Seems a lot of the old regulars have disappeared. Dont see Chevy much anymore either.

Fuckin shame.

Meh, seems like there is less that interests me on here nowadays, and the waves of drama annoy me. With working third shift, having Tuesday, Wednesday off, I can't get out on rides and when I can post online , everyone is asleep. Life's been hectic but been spending a lot of time with my wife and daughter so it's all good.

I still browse almost daily just don't have much to post.

• Upvote 1

Meh, seems like there is less that interests me on here nowadays, and the waves of drama annoy me. With working third shift, having Tuesday, Wednesday off, I can't get out on rides and when I can post online , everyone is asleep. Life's been hectic but been spending a lot of time with my wife and daughter so it's all good.

I still browse almost daily just don't have much to post.

Glad to see you still around.

So, what do you make of my mechanical issue?

Edited by max power
  • Upvote 1

Not overfilled. I have a compression tester, but its not long enough to get to the plug holes.

Do the ol suck and blow trick see if if get any longer. If not they have pills fo that nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Powerstrokes have this, we basically take that tube, run a longer tube on it down the engine/frame to the back of the truck, add either a breather filter, or a catch can, or nothing.  Basically it's takking the blow by oil and putting it in your air intake.  A lot of cars have it, just depends if it goes back into the intake/engine/turbo in our case, or just drops it out, or doesn't have one.

If you want more details text me, usually costs a few bux for the tubing and then the little filter from Autozone but easy, just use zip ties.  Key is to make sure it's a constant drop in the line, or oil will get stuck in there and can cause a vacum(so we are told).  Also the oil does smell sometimes, and not good, so you want to run the hose to the back.

Check out Powerstroke.org and search CCV Mod.  That's what we actually named the mod.  I have never done them and never have a ton of oil in the air filter area so I don't worry so much, BUT I will be checking the new truck much closer once I get my CAI in a few thousand miles.  I had a brand new air filter when I bought the truck so I figure might as well use what I have for now.  Plus 289 for the CAI isn't cheap.

Yeah, but this isn't a diesel. It's my wife's DD. I have to find the cause of this problem and correct it or unload it.

I just put a bunch of work into the timing belt water pump oil pump business, so It should be good for at least another hundred,hundred and 50,000 miles, I just need to figure out what's causing this issue.

I'll see your four answers and raise you four more