Detroit Files For Bankruptcy

gen3flygirl

The state has been running the city for the past few months trying to keep it a float. They brought in a consultant to be a liaison between the 2 parties. Said consultant was/is on the City of Detroit's dime. It was discovered about a month ago this gentleman has been staying in a 5 star, $500/ night hotel the entire time. Several council members have gone underground due to corruption issues. All of the manager's that report to me live in SE Michigan and it has been a treat following this and other dealings in Detroit. The entire state of Michigan is fucked 3 ways from Sunday.

In 1960 Detroit was the richest per capita city, since then it has been on a constant decline.

Lets look at the mayors from 1960 on.

100px-Louis_Miriani_Mayor_of_Detroit.jpg Louis Miriani September 12, 1957 – January 2, 1962 Republican[96] -

100px-Jerome_Cavanagh_-_WJROneOfAKind.jp Jerome Cavanagh January 2, 1962 – January 5, 1970 Democratic[6]

100px-Roman_S._Gribbs.jpg Roman Gribbs January 6, 1970 – January 1, 1974 Democratic[6]

100px-ColemanYoung1981a.jpg Coleman Young January 1, 1974 – January 3, 1994 Democratic[6]

Dennis Archer January 3, 1994 – December 31, 2001 Democratic[101]

100px-Kwame_Kilpatrick.jpg Kwame Kilpatrick January 1, 2002 – September 18, 2008 Democratic[103]

100px-Ken_Cockrel.jpg Kenneth Cockrel, Jr. September 18, 2008 – May 11, 2009 Democratic.[106]

100px-Dave_Bing.jpg Dave Bing May 11, 2009 – present Democratic[106]

weird

Edited by Vulcan_Rider
  • Upvote 1

I was a kid growing up around the Det are back in the 60's.  Back then it was the 3rd largest city in the US behind Chicago and NY and a very vibrant city.  Its hard to believe its gone downhill so much that its barely larger, population wise, than Columbus.  But the town is just a shell of what it once was.  Sad indeed....

^^^thats why CLE is probably next

Cleveland biggest problem is the number of people on city payroll.  For starters Cleveland (82 square miles, population less than 400,000) has 19 people on city council, Columbus (223 square miles, population over 800,000) on the other hand only has 7.  Almost 3 times as many council members for less than half the population and a little more than a third of the land.

I cant find it now but there was an article written a couple years ago detailing how many people were on the cities payroll as well as what they did.  In that article it showed crazy things like the city employed 5 botanists that were all making over $100,000 a year and also how some people would retire from a job with the city and collect full pension and then get another job with the city and retire from that to get a partial pension and then still be employed by the city for another job so they would be collecting 3 paychecks from Cleveland while working part time doing parking enforcement.

I think Cincy is going to give Cleveland a run for the first in Ohio to declare bankruptcy. City councilmen with their heads in the sand, and a city manager, that feel installing a $17 billion streetcar (that the constituents don't want and the city can't afford to run) is a good idea, just don't seem to understand.

I think Cincy is going to give Cleveland a run for the first in Ohio to declare bankruptcy. City councilmen with their heads in the sand, and a city manager, that feel installing a $17 billion streetcar (that the constituents don't want and the city can't afford to run) is a good idea, just don't seem to understand.

I would have to go with Youngstown on this one.

Wait.. I thought it didn't matter how much debt a government carried? :dunno:

It doesn't if you can print your own money and get everybody to bench major commodities to it.

Went to a wedding up there four years ago and stayed downtown in the Marriott.  I was BLOWN AWAY at how desolate the city was then.  Entire buildings boarded up.  Like, four places to eat in the entire downtown.  Rode the people mover around the circuit three times hoping that we'd see something worth stopping to look at...  

And when they started running those Chrysler commercials about a year ago?  All I could think of was that rotting city and good fucking luck.  GM wanted everyone to think that it was all gonna be rose petals and butterfly kisses and people actually bought into that advertising scam cause nobody knew any different than what they saw on TV...  What a mind screw that was.  But then nobody remembers that now...  What a joke.  What a shame, really.

Edited by JohnG