HeavyDuty

Has anyone been down to 536 lately I have Monday 29th off and am riding down wondering how are the road conditions this year with all of the rain?  I will be leaving Ravenna around 8am if anyone is interested in a leisurely ride for the day?

Edited by HeavyDuty

I live in the area... here is news report..

State route 536 is set to close on July 29 and re-open on Aug. 12. A bridge will be replaced to allow for major mobilization of equipment and materials to a new oil and gas well site. The road was originally to close July 8-22, but work was delayed.

Damm that sucks 

That’s too bad sounds like this road will be screwed for riding from now on with heavy slow oil and gas truck traffic that will tear the road up. Please keep me posted I will try to make it there when the road reopens before the truck traffic and road gets too bad...Might ride down anyway just for the ride Sounds like they are replacing a culvert around here bridges take months to replace. :) Thanks HeavyDuty

Edited by HeavyDuty

Damm that sucks 

That’s too bad sounds like this road will be screwed for riding from now on with heavy slow oil and gas truck traffic that will tear the road up

you must be an older gentleman stuck in old ways of thinking with that last part of your statement. At worst, there will be some mud on the road and any company worth their salt will clean it daily

Edited by Bad324

again trucks don't tear up roads like you guys are insinuating lol.  At least not the trucks I'm aware of that it takes to work on oil and gas wells and pipelines.

Leaving them dirty however doesn't shock me depending on who it is doing the work. In 75% of the jobs we do, we are obligated to clean the roads if we track mud and debris on them from our work

Edited by Bad324

Bad.. no they dont tear up much but right now they are crossing the roads in several places laying the pipe so you have a lot of traffic and remember its been raining alot here so globs of mud etc on the roads... usually not for long though..

Bad.. no they dont tear up much but right now they are crossing the roads in several places laying the pipe so you have a lot of traffic and remember its been raining alot here so globs of mud etc on the roads... usually not for long though..

Lot of that going on down south. If it is what I think it is.....pipes for carrying oil gas from fracking....the trucks will be gone once the pipe is laid.

Lot of that going on down south. If it is what I think it is.....pipes for carrying oil gas from fracking....the trucks will be gone once the pipe is laid.

If that is what they are going to do things will be good again. But even double axel tanker trucks will break up the shoulders and put debris on the road And they would be lucky to be able to get up to 30mph on that road.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Many of the trucks I'm aware of are over GVWR in the oil patch. Pumper trucks and Vac Trucks in particular. They just pay the fines and keep rolling. I'm lucky enough to live near three gravel quarries...trucks tear up roads. I'm all for the boom, but there is no such thing as a free lunch.

are they actually open cutting the roads or boring the pipe under? Do you happen to know what company(ies) are down where you're talking about. I'm pretty sure if its where I'm thinking we had to turn that job down and a few others because we are just too busy currently

It is what you think it is indeed. SEO should be booming and right now it is only at a crawl

Back to 536...I just rode it about 5 days ago and in it's present condition it sucks anyway.It'll only get worse with heavy truck traffic.

Fracking and it's infrastructure is going to be a mixed blessing for those of us that live in S.E.O. and ride these roads daily.Some folks are going to make A LOT of money,some will make a little,most will make nothing.The roads will suffer!If you don't believe me,just take a ride down 513 and 379 to the Mark-West compressor site.I have friends working there and I had a chance to get on that job so I took a ride over to check it out.Both roads are good rides,both are on my "do not ride"list due to debris tracked onto the road.

Most of the pipeline sites don't hurt the roads much since they are boring under the road,but there is still a little mud tracked onto the road.

Fracking is here to stay regardless of what folks think about it.Hopefully S.E.O. is big enough that all the good roads won't suffer at the same time,so there will always be areas to enjoy.For me,that's the way it is now...I just move my riding from one area to another as good roads are paved in different areas.

Most of the mess that fracking is making is minor...kind of like a farmer entering/leaving his fields with farm equipment.I try to keep it in prespective...the farmers live here,it's their home,I'm just passing through.Fracking is going to bring some decent jobs to an area that really needs them,especially as coal declines...and does fracking trucks really hurt the roads any worse than coal trucks?

• Upvote 1

In a word...yes. The weight of some of these trucks is astounding. It's not because the operators are assholes, its just that equipment needed to do this work is HEAVY. I would say a majority of the trucks are at or over GVWR. Each job site has multiple trucks and water tanks. If no onsite water is available, it must be hauled in...hundreds of thousands if not more gallons of water, and hauled away again during and after completion. There is also the Pad. Heavy equipment is trucked in to prep a 4-6 acre area. Have not seen one under construction, but assume that oversized load type equipment is employed. Then there's the gravel. A lot of gravel...enough to cover 6 acres 4-8ft deep which is also trucked in.

I agree that the pipelines do and will do less damage to the roads, but the county and township roads still get their assess kicked. Many times they are the only access routes on a pipeline. The plus side of a pipeline job is that machinery can travel along the ROW, reducing the amount of road traffic.

As far as coal trucks go I haven't noticed an abundance lately. Two trains go through Zanesville every day loaded with coal. Dunn trucking used to be all up and down RT22 hauling coal, but now the trucks are carrying limestone to the well pads.

I'm not trying to bad mouth mining or oilgas development, but the fact is the roads they travel to conduct business will need repairs sooner and more often than the roads they don't. This is at a time where municipalities, including the state are short on money for repairs as is. I'm curios if any of the additional revenue generated by these industries is kicked back for road construction and repairs? Obviously, there's licensing and whatnot, but how many feet of asphalt does one truck's yearly fees buy?

Edited by RCBS