Psa - Please Don't Text And Drive, No Really.

madcat6183

texting and driving is just as bad as drunk driving, and should be treated as such.

No.. it's not...

Drinking and driving: Directly affects brain chemistry (reaction time, perception, etc), lasts until the effects wear off, impairs judgment

Texting and driving: has no effect on brain chemistry, lasts only until the operator chooses, has no effect on judgement.

People that can't do it, shouldn't... just as people who can't drive a manual transmission, or a car with manual steering, brakes, and an engine that doesn't like to idle, or balance a motorcycle, or anything else that requires a specific set of multitasking skills...

If you can't do it, don't do it...  if you can do it, nobody is going to notice you doing it.

Edited by magley64

people who are texting and driving have been shown to be just as impaired, if not more, than drunk drivers. 

you're right it does not affect brain chemistry. i figured it would be clear thats not but what i meant, but i guess not... or we are just arguing semantics :rolleyes::

texting while driving severely impacts your reaction time. in some cases the reaction time is WORSE than that of a drunk driver.

people who are texting and driving have been shown to be just as impaired, if not more, than drunk drivers. 

you're right it does not affect brain chemistry. i figured it would be clear thats not but what i meant, but i guess not... or we are just arguing semantics :rolleyes::

texting while driving severely impacts your reaction time. in some cases the reaction time is WORSE than that of a drunk driver.

Yeah, it will affect your reaction time if your texting in a situation that requires your attention. if youre going straight down a flat open road with little to no traffic, it's not going to make a difference if you're texting or not because there is nothing to react to.

If you could dynamically alter how sober or drunk you are based on the driving conditions you're faced with then I'd argue drinking and driving would be fine if you know what you're doing, too...

but you can't, you're as drunk as you are until the effects wear off, no matter if you get into a high traffic area, or a town with lots of pedestrians, you're as drunk as you are and can't change it.

You can dynamically alter how much attention you give to driving, and believe me, driving straight down an empty freeway doesn't require my full attention.

He actually told me that the new law will increase accidents because everyone is trying to hide the phone while they text. Where as before he could hold it out in front of him over the steering wheel...

Hmmm...

One study to look at texting bans in four states, back in 2010, actually found that accidents increased in those states, compared to neighboring states without the bans — perhaps because drivers tried to hide their phones while texting, making the act even more dangerous.

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2013/03/do-texting-bans-really-prevent-fatal-accidents/5104/

Seems like maybe he was right.

Although I don't think anyone should text/drive at all, clearly trying to hide the phone where a cop couldn't see it and having to look way down to see what you are reading/texting is much more distracting than holding it up by the steering wheel in plane view so you can quickly glance at it and then right back to the road.

Edited by TRMN8TR

if youre going straight down a flat open road with little to no traffic, it's not going to make a difference if you're texting or not because there is nothing to react to.

would you say that in the same conditions it wouldnt matter if youre drunk either?

i guess my contention is that you do not have a level of prescience to KNOW that nothing is going to happen. when you are driving, things can happen in an instant, and you need to be paying attention. even if youre out in the middle of the boonies. someone could pull out of a hidden driveway or a cross street, an animal could run into the road, that lone car coming the other direction could cross the center line. any number of things could happen.

you just CANT know that nothing is going to happen. 

you can text a thousand times while driving and have nothing happen to you. you can drive drunk 1000 times and get home fine too. that doesn't make it okay. all it takes is one time. 

Edited by John

would you say that in the same conditions it wouldnt matter if youre drunk either?

That is what I said, if you could instantly decide to go from drunk to sober at will, then I wouldn't care if people drove drunk down an empty freeway... I don't care if they do 180 mph down an empty freeway.

When you are driving, things can happen in an instant, and you need to be paying attention. even if youre out in the middle of the boonies. someone could pull out of a hidden driveway or a cross street, an animal could run into the road, that lone car coming the other direction could cross the center line. any number of things could happen.

Well, again thatis what I'm saying, I drive the same routes every day, and have for the past 13 years. I know where the hidden driveways are, I know where the cross streets are, I can see when There is someone coming in the opposite direction, and when I need to focus on those things I'm not looking at my phone, obviously.

As for animals jumping into the street or scampering out of the woods, fuck 'em.

Edited by magley64

think of the sweet innocent babies that are scampering across or jumping into the desolate highway while chugging arizona watermelon drink, skittles and robitussin. you just didn't see or notice them because they were wearing a dark hoodie, Duane Zimmerman.

I carry when I drive, hope if some texter hits me, he kills me, cause I'm going to claim self defense, got attacked with a car and I do fear for my life on a bike seeing assholes texting.

My feelings exactly.

• Upvote 1

You really shouldn't ride a motorcycle, it's way too dangerous, what if you forgot how to countersteer and mowed over a little old lady...

Whats really strange is that when I tell people to stop texting the common response is you should not ride a motorcycle. I always think to myself what a fucking idiot. magley64 I hope your thoughts on texting and driving are just trolling. If not you are really a selfish and unsafe individual.

Off topic: The CBR 1100xx is one of the great bikes of all time.

Whats really strange is that when I tell people to stop texting the common response is you should not ride a motorcycle. I always think to myself what a fucking idiot. magley64 I hope your thoughts on texting and driving are just trolling. If not you are really a selfish and unsafe individual.

I'd say you've got him pegged.

P.S. Why is this stupidity still going on? I've been gone for a week and this shit is still rolling? Must be a slow news week.

Edited by max power

meh.ro10176-455x346.jpg

But seriously, claiming that no one should text and drive because your wife can't do it is terrible rational. Let me go to a gun debate with that and see how many conservatives I can piss off. Typing and driving is harder than ever with phones that only of touch screens, but they pretty much all have talk to text features. I have voiced my opinion here before, and it lines up with Magley's: if you can't do it safely, don't. I know I can do it because I have enlisted the opinions of friends wh would give me honest feedback.That goes for ANY type of driving. If you are too tired, if you can't merge, if you are too angry, if you are drunk, if you just generally suck at it, can't drive a standard shift, whatever. If you can't do it then you shouldn't, but there will always be people who don't care and are willing to put others' lives in danger. Just because there are people who are unable to and fail at it, doesn't mean that others are as inept. I can't text and ride so I don't, but everyone needs to know their own limits, asses them honestly, and adhere to them.

meh.ro10176-455x346.jpg

But seriously, claiming that no one should text and drive because your wife can't do it is terrible rational. Let me go to a gun debate with that and see how many conservatives I can piss off. Typing and driving is harder than ever with phones that only of touch screens, but they pretty much all have talk to text features. I have voiced my opinion here before, and it lines up with Magley's: if you can't do it safely, don't. I know I can do it because I have enlisted the opinions of friends wh would give me honest feedback.That goes for ANY type of driving. If you are too tired, if you can't merge, if you are too angry, if you are drunk, if you just generally suck at it, can't drive a standard shift, whatever. If you can't do it then you shouldn't, but there will always be people who don't care and are willing to put others' lives in danger. Just because there are people who are unable to and fail at it, doesn't mean that others are as inept. I can't text and ride so I don't, but everyone needs to know their own limits, asses them honestly, and adhere to them.

Guess that would apply to drunk drivers too, huh?  I mean, there are very few who ended up killing someone after driving drunk that would have said beforehand that they couldn't do it without getting into a wreck.

Too bad inebriated or distracted drivers that got into a wreck, especially if it maimed or killed someone,  weren't just eliminated altogether themselves.

Edited by ohiomike

Guess that would apply to drunk drivers too, huh?  I mean, there are very few who ended up killing someone after driving drunk that would have said beforehand that they couldn't do it without getting into a wreck.

Too bad inebriated or distracted drivers that got into a wreck, especially if it maimed or killed someone,  weren't just eliminated altogether themselves.

Drunk =/= Texting

How many times does this need explained?

You can dynamically alter how much attention you devote to driving based on the road and traffic conditions, you can't dynamically alter how drunk or sober you are.

If you're looking at your phone when conditions require constant attention to the road, then you're doing it wrong.

Drunk =/= Texting

How many times does this need explained?

You can dynamically alter how much attention you devote to driving based on the road and traffic conditions, you can't dynamically alter how drunk or sober you are.

If you're looking at your phone when conditions require constant attention to the road, then you're doing it wrong.

Ain't rationalization grand.