Why Buy A Yamaha R6?

Tigerpaw

2005-Yamaha-R6c.jpg

I think I want an "older" Fuel Injected 600 SS.  My initial research has me leaning toward a 2003-2005 R6.  I like the looks and the price ranges I have seen(around $4K).  

What are your thoughts on the 2003-2005 R6?  Problem areas? 

**Would your wife kill you if you got a 3rd bike?**

you don't need to worry about that nut.  just use a new washer and fold it over it in the 2 spots they have pre-bent. 

I safety wire mine instead.

never had it come loose even without safety wire. 

I think it was installed on the 04's with too little torque is when the recall was made.

the only other issues they're known for is the TPS (throttle position sensor) on all 3 years and the coils for the 03.  the TPS caused random stalls when you pull the clutch in but would otherwise run just fine at WOT etc. 

the 03's coils were replaced by yamaha only if you brought it in and complained of a hesitation etc.  it wasn't a actual recall.  have a peek behind the radiator and you should be able to see if it has a tan expoxy top on them without any kind of stickers.  those are the mitusbishi coils that were the upgrades.  the denso are black tops with a denso sticker on it.  and they actually look completly different when removed.

so watch out on the 03 for the coils.  to buy them would cost you several hundred bucks.   I think they're about $70 each.

the regulators sometimes fail on these also.  it's not such of a big problem as it was on the 99-02 though.  but there's been plenty of them I see on other forums going bad.  mine has never failed me and it has 45k miles on it.

expect to do the valves around 26k miles (recommended check).  they're usually still good for most people.  I ended up having to do mine around 43k.  and I needed a new timing chain also.  it was stretched too far to put back in time properly. 

good news is it's a $25 part.

I can provide you a link for the factory service manual if you get one.  Yamaha also has a diagnostic feature built in that allows you to test all of the electronics of the bike via the instrument cluster.  it's called the diagnostic mode.    I believe only Yamaha does this.  you don't need any kind of diagnostic equipment to work on them. other than a multimeter.

and you don't need that to check the battery voltage.  you can do that in the diagnostic mode too.

Edited by serpentracer

One of the locals rides a 07 R6S he bought it new. He drag races it and generally runs the living shit out of that bike. It has about 22000 hard miles, and still runs like a champ other than the clutch slips a little on a hard launch. Just drew up plans for a large loft in my bike garage, to make room on the floor for a third bike.

Just drew up plans for a large loft in my bike garage, to make room on the floor for a third bike.

lol.  If I had a "bike garage" separate from the "plain ol' garage" I might have an easier task of convincing the wife.  My subdivision is also strict on putting up sheds.

Thanks for everyone's replies.  

I am in ZERO hurry.  I will try to keep my eye out for a CLEAN stock 03-05, that hasn't been laid down, dropped, or crashed, mileage unimportant, "recalls" performed, YZF-R6.  Having a trailer, hopefully I can find a steal in the winter months.

2005-Yamaha-R6c.jpg

I think I want an "older" Fuel Injected 600 SS.  My initial research has me leaning toward a 2003-2005 R6.  I like the looks and the price ranges I have seen(around $4K).  

What are your thoughts on the 2003-2005 R6?  Problem areas? 

**Would your wife kill you if you got a 3rd bike?**

Too bad you weren't looking back in April when my 2004 was for sale.  Great bike, you'll like it.

I have an 08 R6S (same bike as 03-05) with low miles I might be willing to part with if you are interested. I'm not really trying to get rid of it though so price point might be a bit higher than you want.

Its been a great bike though, its fast, comfortable (relative) , light, fun, and I've never had a mechanical issue with my Yamahas.

I've got an 05 that needs a transmission shaft.It has been laid down, but I do have sharkskinz street body work for it. Unpainted yet. The engine's out already, but I just haven't had time to order the shaft.

Though it does have new coils and I cleaned up the tps last year.(the cause of one of the wrecks...