Screwed By The Dealer. Venting.

YSR_Racer_99

Brian's right. They have to do an inspection to be sure everything arrived in proper condition and is functioning. Also, as the OP stated, they didn't sell it out from under him. They uncrated it to display and he refused to continue with the purchase, then they sold it. Yes the dealer should have called him as soon as they knew when the bikes where arriving and again when they arrived.

They'll deliver a crated bike. They do it all the time for people. I you have enough money, those scumbags will deliver their baby sister tied in velvet rope.

You got fucked. Your bitch is legitimate.

While dealers do and will, they are not supposed to and is a serious violation of the dealer agreement and operating policies. So, if they don't, people have no right to bitch. They just aren't educated as to the reasonings.

But, I've asked as it is not apparent - did he physically deposit money or was it word of mouth? If the prior, he was screwed.

They'll deliver a crated bike. They do it all the time for people. I you have enough money, those scumbags will deliver their baby sister tied in velvet rope.

You got fucked. Your bitch is legitimate.

Wait, how much is this baby sister?  Is she at least 18 years old and does she come with any accessories like ropes and dressup outfits?

While dealers do and will, they are not supposed to and is a serious violation of the dealer agreement and operating policies. So, if they don't, people have no right to bitch. They just aren't educated as to the reasonings.

But, I've asked as it is not apparent - did he physically deposit money or was it word of mouth? If the prior, he was screwed.

I called and placed my deposit on a Grom about seven weeks ago at a semi-local Honda Power Dealer.  "We've got a list of people who want to be called when the Groms come in, but no hard deposits yet.  You get your choice of color, and the first one in the door is yours".   Sweet.  I called the salesman twice over that seven week period to see if he had heard anything, and emphasized on the second call that I wanted to receive a black Grom in the crate.   "Why do you want it in the crate?".  "Because I don't want one that the shop staff have been wheelying and doing stoppies on out behind the shop".   "Okay".  

I went in yesterday (Mon 08/26) because I was in the area for work, and made sure that my deposit was refunded.   I ask the sales mgr why nobody called me on Friday 16th when the bikes came in.   "we just didn't think about it.  Sorry".

It appears he had physical (or at least virtual via CC) money on the bike nearly 2 months prior to release date...

Now whether he was "screwed" or not is a matter of opinion, but the dealership certainly screwed the pooch on their customer service end...either intentionally, or via honest mistake.

Edited by magley64

He most certainly has a right to bitch. He was told by more than a few employees that the bike would remain crated. If they don't know their job, that isn't his fault. He was told it would remain in the crate. So, by either ineptitude or flat-out lying, he didn't get what he agreed to purchase. He didn't put the money down and then call later to request the bike remain crated. It was part of the original agreement. His bitch is absolutely legitimate.

Absolutely

I doubt this would work, but would contacting Honda and offering to purchase directly from the manufacturer (not a dealer) be worth the effort?

Realistically, dealerships don't own vehicles anyway... They're just held on the lot with a revolving line of credit from whichever bank underwrites their inventory. That is likely why you can't technically "Pre-buy." The bank won't extend credit on a vehicle the dealer doesn't possess yet.

(Sorry... Secured transactions have all sorts of regulations that most people never consider. It's an exteremly boring area of law that I can't seem to purge from my memory.)

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

I believe most manufacturers protect their dealers by forcing sales to go through one of them.  

Dealings with a dealership isn't much different from general retail stuff anymore-it all has changed and all the things they used to do  most don't do anymore.  I bought a new pickup back in '89 and after getting the best deal I could, I said, before signing on the dotted line, was 'are you going to fill the gas tank for me?'.  They did (30 gallons!) but like I've heard here, its nearly a thing of the past anymore, as is good service, for the most part.

I agree they should not have uncrated it, but he also put them off for a 9 days after its arrival, they should have contacted you but we also don't know what time they were delivered, maybe they didn't want to sit there another two hours after close and had no clue you had other plans... you should have gone and done the deal when the call came and not put it off over a week, its not their fault you are on vacation any more than its your fault they didn't call. I would say its just a bad deal and you have a small right to be upset, but they wouldn't have been wrong not to wait on a slow pay customer, deposit or not. unless your deposit covered their cost of the vehicle and all you owed was profit they had money sitting in a box and no clue when or if you'd finish the deal. there are alot of people who loose deposits because they just never have the cash to finish the deal.

and no I don't work in a dealership, I work in the food industry.

you should have gone and done the deal when the call came and not put it off over a week, its not their fault you are on vacation any more than its your fault they didn't call.

Wait... I has a confused...

he couldn't have put it off since he didn't get a call...

Saturday morning Aug 17th we're on the road two states away when my phone rings at 10am.   Its my sales guy and he says (you guessed it...) "your bike is HERE!"

huh, guess I read that wrong? he said they called, its not the dealerships fault if he went on vacation, not saying he can't but its not their problem.

Edited by Tinker

Did you make my f'd up Big Mac?

I totally missed this comment lol.. no, never made a big mac. back on topic :) all I meant was I am not defending dealerships as an employee of them... but I think the OP has burnt his bridges a little on his own. I am not saying OP can't be upset, all I am saying is the dealership has money tied up in it, and to be blunt the OP admitted he acted like the dealership was run by hooligans to begin with with the whole stoppies comment, he moved himself down the list. your expecting stellar CS from someone you walked into the relationship insulting, then added to that problem by being a slow pay customer, I can see a manager telling the sales guy 9 days is too long we need to move product not keep credit/finances tied up. it sucks, its a bad deal, but he didn't do anything to garner favor from anyone to expect better.

If Honda Powersports dealers have the same type of network as a Power Equipment dealer, they know how many are available, when they are preparing to ship, and have freight tracking. Also, a 3 minute telephone call can achieve the same results.

I'd be pissed. You could give them another chance and see if they are willing to toss some accessories or something in as an apology. I don't think I would. I hold a grudge like no other.

Just wondering if, what they can show sold,

affects what they receive. Like, if they can't

show they sold three, does that prevent them

from receiving any more to sell, until all three

are shown as sold?

Possibly. They have a finite limit on their open-ended line of credit. The total value of vehicles on the lot can't exceed their credit limit.

So in a scenario where buyer A wants a 600RR, but they have none in stock and their credit is maxed, they would have to sell SOMETHING before they can order up the 600RR. selling the 3 groms in stock would theoretically free up enough capital.

But I find it hard to believe that scenario would occur in reality.

I doubt this would work, but would contacting Honda and offering to purchase directly from the manufacturer (not a dealer) be worth the effort?

Realistically, dealerships don't own vehicles anyway... They're just held on the lot with a revolving line of credit from whichever bank underwrites their inventory. That is likely why you can't technically "Pre-buy." The bank won't extend credit on a vehicle the dealer doesn't possess yet.

(Sorry... Secured transactions have all sorts of regulations that most people never consider. It's an exteremly boring area of law that I can't seem to purge from my memory.)

Honda is a manufacturer/distributor. The dealership can only sell directly to the end user. Even VIP deals are run through a dealership. Race sponsorship is different, but only at the factory contract level.

Dealers have their bikes on floor plan. They typically run them on floor plan while receiving free flooring. A lot of dealers will then buy the units from the financial institution as to save the large flooring interest rates...

Back to the crate issue. Whether or not they made an error, it's not permitted. Yes, a lot do. But, they get caught, they can get terminated instantly as it is grounds for immediate termination.

Possibly. They have a finite limit on their open-ended line of credit. The total value of vehicles on the lot can't exceed their credit limit.

So in a scenario where buyer A wants a 600RR, but they have none in stock and their credit is maxed, they would have to sell SOMETHING before they can order up the 600RR. selling the 3 groms in stock would theoretically free up enough capital.

But I find it hard to believe that scenario would occur in reality.

Dealers have a line of credit. That is correct, but if they have units pending delivery, all they need to do IF they go beyond their credit limit, they can ask to have it extended. Most run into this as a lot of brands are covered under one financial floor plan provider. GE, is the most common for example... So, dealers with multiple lines are usually at their limits and extend often...

The way it works is that they are allocated a set number. They can sometimes request additionally. Whether the case, they know what they got coming and a targeted ship date.

If I am reading all this right, it took him 9 days to respond? They aren't going to hold it... Especially as to how hot that item is. I still am unclear if he had a physical deposit...