91 Zx7r Electrical Issue

2fat2fly

I took the 7R out for a ride last night that didn't go as planned. I went to a local gas station (about 2 miles from my house) and when I shut the bike off to fill it up the neutral light and the oil light stayed on when I pulled the key out of the ignition. After I filled it up the bike wouldn't start so I had to call the wife to bring the pick up and get me. I disconnected the battery to see if whatever it was would reset itself. That didn't work and as soon as I reconnected the battery the lights came back on.

Here's some photos from today where I was diagnosing the issue:

Notice the key is out and the lights are on:

HPIM7072_zpsb2aaa637.jpg

After pulling the tank,tail and airbox I jiggled the wires in the photo and the lights went out:

HPIM7073_zps765b64e5.jpg

HPIM7074_zps1fb7c42a.jpg

So now I'm thinking melted wires somewhere, so I start digging into the harness. I've found nothing so far but I eliminated a few things. Namely the ignition switch and the kill switch. If you look in the picture they're disconnected and the lights are still on:

HPIM7075_zps93686258.jpg

Now I have the battery charging and I'm digging into the manual to figure this out. Any ideas on the culprit?

Here's an interesting thing I just noticed, now that the battery is charged I can start the bike but the ignition key is completely useless. It's not needed to start the bike and it won't shut it off. The kill switch and start button still work though.

This has me wondering if it may be the starter solenoid possibly malfunctioning.

I pulled the starter relay out of my 93 ZX7R and swapped it into the 91 to find I still have the issue. I believed the problem to be the relay but this contradicts that idea.

I also removed the fuse box and it didn't help. See attached photo.

HPIM7076_zps0b729311.jpg

I tested the wires at the relay and found the white wire to be constantly energized.

HPIM7077_zps78974a82.jpg

HPIM7079_zpsc4155b86.jpg

I followed this and it splits into 3 legs. One goes to the fuse box (which I already eliminated).

The second leg goes to the alternator ( Since this takes place with power off we can eliminate that).

HPIM7080_zps1ef6965e.jpg

Here it is at the fuse box:

HPIM7082_zpsc2a9603c.jpg

Here's the second leg where it plugs into the alternator plug:

HPIM7081_zpsc308cd1b.jpg

and the third leg terminates at the ignition switch which is unplugged. So I'm stumped at the moment.

I was thinking starter relay, fuel pump relay, ignition box, headlight relay and even started looking at a diode in the alternator as possibly being bad. None of those things were but I believe I found the culprit.

This is a picture I posted earlier showing the alternator connector:

HPIM7081_zpsc308cd1b.jpg

Upon further review I found this:

HPIM7086_zpsbbe54202.jpg

HPIM7085_zps060f1b68.jpg

The white wire melted into the brown wire and powered everything constantly. This is really odd because these wires have been together like this for the last 22 years with no issues. Now I have it figured out and I'm happy. I can ride my favorite bike this weekend.

You could have resolved this by just PM'ing yourself and arguing it out in private instead of making us all feel like botarded fools by watching you mock the real mechanics around here and not needing any help whatsoever......glad you figured it out though......mr. fix it :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 2

I suspect your vrr may be starting to fail. Also, check and make sure you have correct fuses for ign and main.

I suspect you're right. I'll be checking the voltages regularly to watch for spikes. Thanks for the idea.