Just Picked Two More Guns

speedytriple

So i picked up two more guns today. A davis 32acp derringer. And a traditions 44cal cap and ball revolver that is still wrapped in plastic bag and oiled up never been used. The black powder is something totally new to me never messed with one before. So any info on them would be helpful.  I saw they still make this model as it is listed on their website. Looks like it sells new for $335 which means I got a smoking deal on it..

Edited by speedytriple

Black power is a mess and very picky. Even a few loose grains on the top of the cylinder can set off the next round. Crisco is good for preventing that, but proper cleaning and loading will go a long way too.

On the plus side if you do have additional rounds that get lit off, they don't have any velocity without the barrel.

They are a blast to shoot though. Big bang, lots of smoke, pretty accurate for what they are too.

Let me know when you go shooting next. I haven't shot one of those in a few years.

Edited by BDBGoalie

Pyrodex powder is common, loading data --> http://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

Typical loading procedure, including the greasing of cylinder: --> http://hunting.about.com/od/blackpowder/l/aa_loadcbrev_a.htm

owner's manual --> https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/product_owner_manuals/BPRevolver_manual_1362674422.pdf

schematic --> https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/product_schematics/1858%20Remington%20Revolver_1364936937.pdf

you'll need powder, ball, percussion caps, powder dispenser, grease, maybe wads, cleaning kit, solvents...

Could the revolver be used to deer hunt with? If not this gun might go on the chopping block?

Not 100% sure, but I thought I remember primitive weapon season specifying "muzzle loading" in which the revolver is not ( technically )

Haven't gone in years so I cant be sure, but the new in-lines breach load and qualify as primitive so you may be able to afterall :dunno:

Either way, nice smokers. My Dad had an old .44 percussion like that, can be a handful to shoot but it's badass

Most blackpowder handguns are a little weak for hunting.  By the time the critter is big enough to hit with one you are a little under powered and need to be rather close to get a good hit.  I have one of the larger Colt/Walker replicas.  It will throw a 140 gr round ball at 950 fps, muzzle energy at 281ftlbs.  40S&W is at roughly 366 ftlbs with 45acp being another 20 ftlbs higher.  Your gun will probably not get a round ball up to the speed mine will but it would make for an interesting test to see how it does. I have been using regular oldschool Goex FFFG blackpowder in mine. Pyrodex works fine enough but half the fun is the big cloud of smoke and you lose a lot of that with the replacement powders.

IMG_0425.jpg

Yeah I did some more research on the hunting with it and it looks like a no go. I will see if I am going to keep it I watched some videos on them they seem like a lot of work to shoot?

Yea, they are more work to shoot. You have to load power and bullet, ram it, seat the cap, and then it is good to fire. But if any power grains are lose on the cylinder head the combustion can set off the next round or two. No muzzle velocity because no barrel but scary still. Easily avoided by only loading one round at a time until you get it figured out. Crisco is another option.

But once you get it down they are a blast to shoot, albeit messy and involved.

Yeah I did some more research on the hunting with it and it looks like a no go. I will see if I am going to keep it I watched some videos on them they seem like a lot of work to shoot?

I have 2 of them my grandad gave me. Never fires them, never will. Too much work and I like my hands.

You guys make these things sound like they are gonna kill you and if not that they take forever to clean. There are a couple very simple steps to prevent these guns being dangerous.
First, use a greased fiber wad between the powder and the ball. I use the Cabela's pre-lubed wads.
Second, use a small amount of lube to seal the mouth of each cylinder, I use Thompson bore butter.

These first two steps do two things for you.  It fully prevents the chance of a chain fire and it also prevents lead buildup in the barrel.  You can clean the barrel at the range with nothing more than a jag and patch that is damp with water. Using the bore lube allows each shot to clear the fouling from the previous round and it prevents the bore from getting loaded up with crap.  Most places you read will say that the use of the lubed fiber wad will prevent you from needing to use the grease over the ball to prevent chainfires.  I still use the grease over ball to help with barrel fouling as I noticed on my gun at least that it got harder to clean if I didn't.

Last step is cleaning and I am sorry guys but if you have a wife this may be a problem, you need to use the kitchen sink.  Now we all know that the kitchen is her domain but it's time to grow a pair, force your way in and do some dish's, oh sorry, gun cleaning. :crazy:   Fill the sink with straight hot water and add enough of you favorite dish soap to make it sudsy, I use palmolive original.  That's all you need to clean a blackpowder pistol, if you used the lubes I mentioned above the soapy water will get the entire gun clean.  Anything that can be broken down that there is no wood on it goes straight in the sink for a soak and then scrubbing with patches and the bore brushes proceeds.  You can even wash out the dirt from the patches and keep using them.  I may only go through 2-3 patches to clean the entire gun.  The barrel should come clean in only maybe 4-5 passes with the bore brush and patched jag.  Mine cleans up faster than my metallic cartridge guns.  The wood parts get wiped down gently with a damp towel and then the entire gun gets dried off and sprayed down with BreakFree CLP to drive the moisture out of any hiding places and protect against rust before it is put away.  You should be able to have the gun spotless clean and ready for storage in under 20 minutes once you have done it a few times.