Electrical Work Needed

buxnut

I am having a pool installed this week and need to get the power ran as well.  Just North of Delaware in Radnor township.

I know its not the best time of year to install a pool, but the end of season sales got us. 

I figure I can dig the trench, lay the conduit, set the pole by the pool equipment. (manual labor type stuff to keep the price down) But sizing the wire and tying it into the main breaker panel is more than I want to bite off on a project like this. 

Any electricians out there want to help a fellow forum member out?

Anyone know of a reputable electrical contractor in my area?

Thanks!

Bill.

If I can find the spare time I can help ya out. I does this all the time setting new Air Conditioners. I'm guessing its a 240V outlet you need?

Nope.  twist lock 120v.  of course today is the day I forget my paper work at home and cant recall the exact requirements.  I also want to have an extra 120v outlet installed out there as well. 

too far for me, but make sure, the electrician you hire is state certified.

Insurance companies WILL screw you if someone gets hurt, or property damage is high and they find out you didn't meet state codes or joe lunchbox just bolted stuff together.

Like they recently changed the grounding for outdoor above ground pools- and if I'm not mistaken something about grounding the power source inside the house where you run to the pool. Last one we did was early summer. thats two I can recall off the top of my head.

too far for me, but make sure, the electrician you hire is state certified.

Insurance companies WILL screw you if someone gets hurt, or property damage is high and they find out you didn't meet state codes or joe lunchbox just bolted stuff together.

Like they recently changed the grounding for outdoor above ground pools- and if I'm not mistaken something about grounding the power source inside the house where you run to the pool. Last one we did was early summer. thats two I can recall off the top of my head.

its Delaware county so the inspectors have already been all over me with a fine tooth comb.  cant wait to start the process all over again when I build the deck after the pool is installed. 

we (me and some other contractors casually talking) have seen an increase in prick inspections. not so much for the ones who've been around, but driving around and LOOKING for home improvements homeowners did without getting the nece$$ary  permits

like dead water heaters sitting on the curb, piles of remodeling materials disguised at street curb trash...

hard times, counties wanting to generate income

medina county, medina police department has a facebook page and a year ago or so they took a ton of heat for asking the good citizens to report broken windows, folks who blew grass into the street etc..

nothing to do with crime and all to do with sign ze papers good citizen

but driving around and LOOKING for home improvements homeowners did without getting the nece$$ary  permits

like dead water heaters sitting on the curb, piles of remodeling materials disguised at street curb trash...

hard times, counties wanting to generate income

this happened to a friend of mine, well her neighbor that she helps out with.  the neighbor had a water powered backup sump pump installed.  didn't apply for permits because she didn't think they were needed.  gets a call from the county informing her that she owes penalty fees plus the original permit fee and now has to get the back-flow preventer inspected yearly, at $100 a pop.  installer said that they probably had someone driving around, checking the area for non-permitted work.  ridiculous. 

I think the installer should have known this work needed a permit and informed the lady of such, but that's not my business. 

Word on the boards is "Strictly street has awesome electrical skills" not sure if he deals with AC stuff as well as DC stuff though.

Pretty sure he is AC-DC.

That was way too easy.

Edited by Tonik

I am figuring 95 feet of trench, then up 2 feet into the ceiling of the basement and another 40 feet accross the basement and 8 feet into the main panel.  At the pool, I need one GFCI circuit thats 120v 20A with an L5-20R receptacle and another GFCI circuit with a 120v 15A outlet.  I figure I can use 1/2" conduit for the run out to the pool.

so here's my shopping list.

100 feet of 1/2" PVC conduit with 2 90 degree bends and a 90 degree junction into the house

one box for L5-20R outlet with in-use cover

L5-20R outlet

one box for "convience outlet" with in-use cover

one GFCI outlet

one 20 amp GFCI breaker

one 20 amp breaker

the wire is where I have questions.  i am figuringTwo runs of 12/2 from the breakers out to the outlets, but can I fit two runs of 12/2 in a 1/2 pipe?  the research i have done shows 9 conductors in a 1/2" but I am not sure if that takes into account insulation.  Would running individual stands from a junction box in the house out to the pool be a better idea?  Maybe letting a professional handle this is the best bet!

As always any advice you guys give will be greatly appreciated. 

Then there's the bonding.  I have to tie in the metal supports together all the way around the pool with a bare copper wire buried 18-24" away fromt he pool 4-6" deep.  then tie that bonding to the pump motor's gound.  I honestly dont see a need for this since the metal supports are already buried in the ground.  but thats what the code says so thats what I gots to do. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the inspector was out yesterday and failed my installation.  According to the inspector and the NEC, you have to have a separate, insulated ground for the pool equipment.  This means the 2 runs of 12/2 UF need to be removed and replaced with THWN wire.  Did I mention that 12/2 UF doesn't pull worth a sh!t through PVC conduit.  Looks like i am re-pulling wires tonight!!

Anyone have a need for 2 90-foot pieces of 12/2 UF?  :-)