2013 Kawasaki Ecus

Tigerpaw

He meant ECU's ( Engine Control Unit ) but cant all caps the title I guess?

Tiger, wife and I rode to our local Kawi dealer and they had us in and out within an hour. They're not reflashing at our dealer, they just order a new unit in and transfer data when the bikes come in. If you received a campaign notification, call Vista ( or whatever Kawi dealer you prefer ) and have them get it coming in

2013 Kawasaki 636 & 300 ECUs are recalled.  

Who is running their QA over there?

(a more relevant thread was moved)

Wait, did you get an email or call or something? I've been waiting for them to officially recall for the ECU for like 2 months now and have heard nothing in the US.

Where is an official notification? Can you provide a link or something?

I thought you said yours was.  I can't see the original thread anymore.  Sorry for any confusion. 

No I said my bike has the starting issue and it's because the ECU is bad (according to a myriad of other websites as well as a Kawasaki recall in a few countries). The problem is that while some dealerships are more than happy to replace the ECU and charge it to the warranty, many will not because they're not certain if the warranty will cover it and apparently Kawasaki America has no idea this is an issue.

Read some of the links I put up at the beginning of the thread though...it's an issue all over the place with these models and everyone that's had their ECU replaced with the newer iteration has had 0 issues.

The recall in Australia and Peru both said that a firmware update is not possible, as there's a hardware component at fault. The only fix is replacing the ECU.

No I said my bike has the starting issue and it's because the ECU is bad (according to a myriad of other websites as well as a Kawasaki recall in a few countries). The problem is that while some dealerships are more than happy to replace the ECU and charge it to the warranty, many will not because they're not certain if the warranty will cover it and apparently Kawasaki America has no idea this is an issue.

Read some of the links I put up at the beginning of the thread though...it's an issue all over the place with these models and everyone that's had their ECU replaced with the newer iteration has had 0 issues.

The recall in Australia and Peru both said that a firmware update is not possible, as there's a hardware component at fault. The only fix is replacing the ECU.

You do understand that the US models very well could have a different map than what is found on the Euro bikes, right?  Just because in Peru they have a recall, doesn't mean the US bikes are having the same issue.  All US bikes come with what they call CA specs and can be different...

There was a recall on the voltage regulators for 09-12s I remember, but nothing on ECUs...  And trust me, Kawasaki USA isn't oblivious.  You make it sound like Kaw USA is in the dark.  Silly...

You do understand that the US models very well could have a different map than what is found on the Euro bikes, right?  Just because in Peru they have a recall, doesn't mean the US bikes are having the same issue.  All US bikes come with what they call CA specs and can be different...

There was a recall on the voltage regulators for 09-12s I remember, but nothing on ECUs...  And trust me, Kawasaki USA isn't oblivious.  You make it sound like Kaw USA is in the dark.  Silly...

Maybe you should read the links before you post anymore about this topic, because there are hundreds of people on other websites complaining about this issue and having it resolved ENTIRELY by getting an ECU replacement. The ECU Kawasaki is replacing it with has a different serial than the one that comes from the factory and solves the issues completely. Dealerships around the country are trying to get the ECUs replaced in this model bike, but Kawasaki still hasn't announced a recall.

Obviously different sectors have different mappings...but it's not the mappings that are at fault here. It's a hardware issue, as confirmed by multiple Kawasaki divisions around the world (and the ECUs are, for the most part, only assembled in Japan, USA, and the Philippines...but using the same parts, so this will affect almost all models built in that time period). If it weren't, a firmware update could be pumped to every market and fix the issue instantly.

The 09-12 models are different from the 13. The ECU is a different version (it's more closely related to the ECU in the Ninja 300). Problems in the 09-12 would have virtually no effect on the iteration in the 13.

You can think whatever you want. Kawasaki America is denying there are any issues for right now, which is most-likely marketing but screams ignorance. I knew from the beginning what the issue was and you spent a good deal of time and effort inferring I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about.

Maybe you should read the links before you post anymore about this topic, because there are hundreds of people on other websites complaining about this issue and having it resolved ENTIRELY by getting an ECU replacement. The ECU Kawasaki is replacing it with has a different serial than the one that comes from the factory and solves the issues completely. Dealerships around the country are trying to get the ECUs replaced in this model bike, but Kawasaki still hasn't announced a recall.

Obviously different sectors have different mappings...but it's not the mappings that are at fault here. It's a hardware issue, as confirmed by multiple Kawasaki divisions around the world (and the ECUs are, for the most part, only assembled in Japan, USA, and the Philippines...but using the same parts, so this will affect almost all models built in that time period). If it weren't, a firmware update could be pumped to every market and fix the issue instantly.

The 09-12 models are different from the 13. The ECU is a different version (it's more closely related to the ECU in the Ninja 300). Problems in the 09-12 would have virtually no effect on the iteration in the 13.

You can think whatever you want. Kawasaki America is denying there are any issues for right now, which is most-likely marketing but screams ignorance. I knew from the beginning what the issue was and you spent a good deal of time and effort inferring I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about.

You're right.  You're a genius.  Carry on.  I gotta go to the internet and find out what else in the world is true.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I never realized Marketing controlled service issues.  That's interesting. 

Screw Kawasaki.  Those ignorant, sneaky, liars.  Man, if an OEM was hiding stuff, lying through their teeth and allowing marketing to control their good name, I'd sell that pile and mayb find an OEM that doesn't do that.  You might wanna consider buying a Wammmmbulance and cruise around town to the local Rally's with a giant cardboard sign saying OEMs are the devil and Obama is Hitler. 

By the way, I like Kawasaki.  I was with them for a few years with Team Green and feel they are one of the best smaller Japanese brands.  I think what you think is totally ludicrous.  But, read the internet, check the forums and let me know what is going on.

Oh, and by the way, if you go to a dealership and they run a diagnostic test and find the ECU is at fault, they will replace it under warranty.  Stalling could also be cam timing also...  It could be a slew of things.  Yes, it can be the ECU.  It could be a bunch of things.  Surfing the internet for an answer isn't the same as having a qualified tech run tests and finding out what it really is. 

Whatever, man.  Your show, your thread.  I'll sit back and watch the genius at work.

• Upvote 1