Cyclocross Bikes?

rayzzr

So I have had a cheapish mountain bike for some time (Mongoose), and I haven't ridden it much lately. I just moved to an area with decent trails and bike paths, and I'd sort of like to ride to work when the weather gets iffy so I started looking at road bikes.

I spoke with some of my coworkers that bike, and they said rather than getting a road bike I should get a cyclocross bike - faster/lighter than a mountain bike and more capable on light trails than a road bike.

Is a hybrid the same as a cross bike?

I am not too far from Columbus and Dayton, so I'll probably look some this weekend. My hard limit to spend on a bike is about $500, and I know the components won't be the greatest at that price point, but seeing that my Mongoose has served me well I think my expectations are pretty low anyway.

Looking at these brands: Vilano, Diamondback, Schwinn, and Nashbar. Any guidance would be appreciated. Some bike shop suggestions would be good too - since I am new to the area.

I figure my riding will be about 60-40, 60 on road, 40 off road on groomed trails.

I looked at these when I was looking for a new bike. They are nice. They aren't the same as a hybrid from what I remember (and I don't remember the difference but I though they would handle the off road a little better vs a hybrid). Either would be more than fine for what you are looking for, my buddy with a hybrid has no issues with trails and it's probably better for the road portion you would be doing.

A cross bike will have a slightly more relaxed geometry than most pure road bikes, but still has the drop handlebars to get you in a more aero position. They also have wider tires, greater frame clearance for mud and usually different cable routing, all so the bike performs better in the muddy conditions of CX racing. Hybrid bikes are generally more relaxed still, with flat handlebars that place you in a very upright seated position. If you plan to ride mostly paved roads with a little bit of light dirt or fine gravel thrown in, a cross bike sounds like a good fit for you. Look for a used bike that's a few years old from the big manufacturers (Trek, specialized, giant, etc.) and you should be able to find something for around $500 that will hold up better than if you get a new bike for the same price.

• Upvote 1

A cross bike will have a slightly more relaxed geometry than most pure road bikes, but still has the drop handlebars to get you in a more aero position. They also have wider tires, greater frame clearance for mud and usually different cable routing, all so the bike performs better in the muddy conditions of CX racing. Hybrid bikes are generally more relaxed still, with flat handlebars that place you in a very upright seated position. If you plan to ride mostly paved roads with a little bit of light dirt or fine gravel thrown in, a cross bike sounds like a good fit for you. Look for a used bike that's a few years old from the big manufacturers (Trek, specialized, giant, etc.) and you should be able to find something for around $500 that will hold up better than if you get a new bike for the same price.

Yep that's what the difference was, been too long since I looked at them.

What fizzer said. With a $500 limit on a new bike your still shopping at Walmart. When i was looking for a road bike the local bike shop could get me into a new base model bike at $800.  Bikes values depreciate quickly. The road bike i ended up with the previous owner had bought it with a new frame and fork with used Ultegra components and had about $1200 in it not to mention the other goodies that came along/added to it (pedals, shoes,carbon parts, cyclometer...ect.). One year later he sold it to me for $400. Craigslist this winter should be full of other peoples bikes they wasted money on. There loss your gain.

Edited by 20thGix

Cyclocross bikes are  good choice for a one bike quiver. Or, you can do what many have done is get a hardtail mtn bike and put road tires on the wheels (or, get a second set of wheels).

You are not going to get much for $500 but if you do CL searches in cities like Seattle, Portland, SF, Denver > out East, you will be suprised what you can find.

If you could bump up to $1,000, you can buy a bike that is worthy of upgrades and last the rest of your life.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/4103869921.html

I really like the mountain bike with smoother tires. makes a big difference on the trail and you will enjoy the upright position when in work attire. plus I hate riding the road and would personally have a mountain bike if i could only have one. 

Sounds like a cross bike would be fine for you. I would get an actual mountain bike over a hybrid though as they are more versatile and can do same thing. Well in reality, all bikes can do the same thing but its to what extent and what level of comfort/performance you're looking for....

Looked at the Trek and Performance Bike shops in Columbus, and the closest I came to what I wanted was a Fuji. Decent frame, but low end Shimano gruppo. I ended up buying a Motobecane from Bikes Direct. Shimano 105 stuff, looks decent all around.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_xi.htm

Even some of the bike forum snobs liked it. It is heavier than most I am sure, but ticks all the boxes I wanted in a bike. I'd prefer matte black, but they only had it in blue.

I'll have it Monday :)

I wanted a cross bike for the speed. I have a cheapo Mongoose mtn bike, and it sucks on the street for speed. I wanted a fast(er) bike for the street, and something I could take on light trails.