Great Journalism!

just_some_dude

http://www.chron.com/news/science/article/Experts-Man-nature-share-typhoon-tragedy-blame-4974952.php

WASHINGTON (AP) — Scientists say nature and man together cooked up the disaster that has devastated parts of the Philippines.

Typhoon Haiyan (HY'-ahn) smacked the island nation with fierce winds and a deadly storm surge. The Philippines sit in the middle of the world's most storm-prone region, which gets some of the biggest typhoons because of vast expanses of warm water that act as fuel.

But meteorologists say humans played a big role in this disaster — probably bigger than nature's.

Factors in the unfolding tragedy include poverty and a tremendous growth in population, much of it in vulnerable coastal areas with poor construction.

Is this one of those 'Captain Obvious' posts, or just 'I really have nothing useful to say, so I'll just post something' posts?

I feel like he could have summed it up like this:

Man should consider where they live, or else.

Atlantic coast in New Jersey was like that back in the 80s. Insurance went way up, so the damaged property sat abandoned for years. Couldn't sell it, and couldn't fix it. Still had to pay it off.

80% of the world's population lives within something like 60 to 62 miles of the coastline. When the oceans eventually rise, this won't be much fun.