question on mr heater products.

speedytriple

So i am looking at a heater for my truck camper for hunting season. I have been looking at the mr heater units. Just trying to decide what size unit to buy, the jr which is 3800 btu or the portable one which is double the btu. The camper is small, and just running a lattern in there raises the temp some. I am no way a freeze baby more of a polar bear. I think the jr at 3800 btu would be good enough, but the bigger unit could be used as a garage or back up house heater.

For the price go for the bigger one so you won't have to upgrade later, plus the bigger one has a fan built in. When it's on low it only uses one burner anyways. But I highly recommend getting a hose and running it off a grill tank. Causes those twist on tanks only last several hours.

What Tim said, get the hose to run big tanks. I got the double burner one and it holds two tanks but about 7 hours is all your get with two little jugs on low. Fan is nice for a quick warmup.

You know that's all going to depend on how well the space is insulated and how cold it is outside. I've used in my house on a mid 20 degree day, heating maybe half the house around 800sf and it kept it mid 60's. I've also used in my shed a 10 x20 uninsulated on a 20 ish degree day it kept it nice and toasty.

I have an older version of this unit. Based on my experience, I'd say it would take less than 10 mins to warm up that camper, then just leave the pilot running. I've used mine quite a bit over the years and it still works like a champ. I don't have a large tank setup. It will run 8-10 hours continuous on medium setting with a 1lb tank. A 20lb should carry you for the whole week.

*edit, just saw intended temps. You might have to leave it on medium.

Edited by RCBS

For the price go for the bigger one so you won't have to upgrade later, plus the bigger one has a fan built in. When it's on low it only uses one burner anyways. But I highly recommend getting a hose and running it off a grill tank. Causes those twist on tanks only last several hours.

This 100%

Well I went with the big buddy instead. I figured it was better to have to much heat and be able to turn it off, then be cold all week. I still need to get a hose for it which one you guys using? The one with a regulator or just the plain hose.

635-1207.jpg

Edited by speedytriple

We have the big buddy we use in he winter to heat our 18vnose. On high it heats it up in 20 to were you have to turn it down to medium or low. And that still heats it up more. No insulation obviously. We also use a regular hose too. You do need 12 sq in of ventilation with the big buddy. Keep that in mind. I'd also let the pilot run if you turn it off as it's kinda finicky to get started again.

I think i read it in the directions or manual somewhere. it needs a 12" x12" vent to the outside. Not sure why ill have to read it again see if I can figure it out. in our trailer we use a plastic walk through on our back door like you would see for a large walk in freezer. 

Per the manual i got it says 24" of space in front of it. I should be fine then with it in the walk way of the camper. I have read that you need to burn a bottle or two when new to burn off the new burner smell or the odor can be pretty bad, any info on this?

Edited by speedytriple

Well just went out in the garage to test it out for a few mins, this thing puts off some heat! Put my hand three feet above it and could barely hold it thete on low. It fired right on the second click, both burners on for about ten mins had my legs burning up. Think it will roast me in that little camper even on low lol.

Not bad i took the heater out to the camper to see how it worked. Outside temp is 37, thermostat on the wall was at 50. In about 15 mins it was at 75. Think it should keep me plenty warm, thanks for the input guys. I am going up to pick up a 12 foot hose sometime this week to run it off a tank.

• Upvote 1