Refelting a Pool Table

nautical1

Has anyone here done this by themselves or with a friend? I have an 8x4 table that needs new felt so I'm contemplating ordering felt online and giving it a shot myself, the problem is I don't know if I'll be getting in over my head and if I should just pay to have it done. I've seen several videos on how it's done, but they make it look easy (which can be misleading) so I'm hoping for a little bit of input for those who have done this themselves.

Thanks.

My roommate and I tried to do it on the table in our fraternity house after some drunk chick tried to die on it and puked all over it. We saw the videos and got felt damn near free and just couldn't get it right for the life of us. So we just turned it into an awesome beer pong table :lol:

I have done it on my own table, and it is easy. Just take your time. For me, it was well worth the savings. In fact, just recently I called a local place that does them here in CLE, and for them to come out and replace the felt, it was over $400 including the felt. The same piece of felt I can get online for about $125. Just be sure to use the proper tools, be patient, and you'll do fine. I have a document on my PC at home that outlines the process pretty well. When I get home I can post it up or email it to you if you PM me your address. The biggest thing though is if you have a dead rail. You may want a pro to reseat them, or replace them if need be. That can be pricey, but you don't wanna put good felt over bad rails. 

If you could post it up that'd help. And for the same reason you stated RVT is the reason I may attempt to refelt it myself and save a few hundred dollars. As for the condition of the rails I'm not sure. The pool table is at least 30 years old and has sat for the last 10-15 at a family members house. They were offering it to me for free if I moved it, so now I have a pool table in my basement that just needs new felt (hopefully). How do I go about checking the condition of the rails? As it sits now the slate is still off the table until I get it positioned where I want it.