Midohio

rusty

Getting ready to buy some gift certificates for myself.  Debating on buying four single day gift certificates or going with two single day gift cards and one two day gift cards.  Decisions, decisions, decisions....

If you buy 4 days,you can reschedule 1 day after the event.let say last minute you can't make it,or weather is bad you can reschedule for no extra fee.

• Upvote 1

I would like to say I'm in. But something needs to give here at work. 3rd shifter with a physically and mentally draining day are the last thing I need at speed on a motorcycle. Sounded like a good idea when kicking it around with you all before but I know I can't focus on little sleep.

Yeah I bought the bike with the Ravens on it and they were damn near new. They're just fine for what I do on the street but I didn't think they'd hold up to track time. Gonna see if I can score a spare set of rims and spoon something tackier for track days, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be addicted after going once. The bandit may get turned into a dedicated track bike if that happens.

Yeah I bought the bike with the Ravens on it and they were damn near new. They're just fine for what I do on the street but I didn't think they'd hold up to track time. Gonna see if I can score a spare set of rims and spoon something tackier for track days, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be addicted after going once. The bandit may get turned into a dedicated track bike if that happens.

Q2's can still be had and relatively cheap by the set. Good tires for Novice/Int riding. My wife ran her stock IRC's at Putnam last year, they didn't do too bad after heating up but she's only got 40hp so they weren't being tested too hard anyway. Be ready for a new addiction!

I wouldn't sweat new tires for beginner...  if they're not too old, even touring tires are fine for a novice pace.  Yes, the tires have their limits, but that can be said of ANY tire.  A stickier tire isn't going to "save" you from crashing, it's just going to let you crash at a higher speed, and deeper into trouble you should have learned to avoid at a lower speed.

Q2's are more than adequate for Novice/Intermediate.  I raced on them for a season and did plenty of "Advanced" riding on them after that.  Tires don't make you faster, they allow you to go faster.  A lot of people seem to buy more tire than their pace requires.

I don't know what tires are mounted on the big kat right now, but if I can afford a day at Mid-Ohio, I'm confident that I won't look out of place in Intermediate regardless of the tires.

Motomummy has Q3's on sale for those interested.

They also have the S20's for the same price, $220 a set. I think I'm going to buy a pair of those. The tires I have now are fine but I don't want to have to worry about tire warmers my first couple of track days.

I will exchange use of my generator for use of someone's warmers.

Warmers wont be a necessity at Novice pace. If MidO follows an STT-like program, there are slower parade laps at the beginning of each session that will heat your tires adequately. Someone with actual experience at a MidO Novice day can elaborate, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need any.

Could be a nice luxury, and maybe affirmate more confidence in your tires though.

Edited by Hellmutt

They also have the S20's for the same price, $220 a set. I think I'm going to buy a pair of those. The tires I have now are fine but I don't want to have to worry about tire warmers my first couple of track days.

what tires are on the bike?  you don't "have" to run warmers...remember reading an article where a Dunlop rep said gpa's have more grip at any given temp than q2's(didn't mention temp ramp up tho) .  If I'm there you can borrow my spare set....rear doesnt work, but it will keep a little heat in between sessions.

what tires are on the bike?  you don't "have" to run warmers...remember reading an article where a Dunlop rep said gpa's have more grip at any given temp than q2's(didn't mention temp ramp up tho) .  If I'm there you can borrow my spare set....rear doesnt work, but it will keep a little heat in between sessions.

The bike has Michelin Power One's on it, from what I understand they pretty much require tire warmers.  I do have tire warmers, I just don't want to have to worry about being in a huge rush all day on my first track day trying to get the warmers on the bike each time.  I don't want to miss anything in the class room.

Do you know if they are the race or commercial power ones? Easy way to tell is there should be either an A, B, or C on the sidewall of the race to tell you the compound, it will be in a circle near the tire size. If the circle is empty you have the commercial and don't need warmers for them.

Edited by blue03636

Do you know if they are the race or commercial power ones? Easy way to tell is there should be either an A, B, or C on the sidewall of the race to tell you the compound, it will be in a circle near the tire size. If the circle is empty you have the commercial and don't need warmers for them.

Circle is empty but beside "Max Load" it has a large upper case "B".  They do have "2CT" on them as well.

Edited by lowcel

Warmers wont be a necessity at Novice pace. If MidO follows an STT-like program, there are slower parade laps at the beginning of each session that will heat your tires adequately. Someone with actual experience at a MidO Novice day can elaborate, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need any.

Could be a nice luxury, and maybe affirmate more confidence in your tires though.

I did a novice day last summer, and you shouldn't need warmers or any other elaborate gear.  They are very rider friendly.  They do break you into groups by level (self evaluation).  The first few sessions a very slow, then as each group gets comfortable, the instructors up the pace a little.  Each rider gets some individual evaluation by the instructor and you can ask as many questions as you like.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be back (hopefully on the July 18th).

I did a novice day last summer, and you shouldn't need warmers or any other elaborate gear.  They are very rider friendly.  They do break you into groups by level (self evaluation).  The first few sessions a very slow, then as each group gets comfortable, the instructors up the pace a little.  Each rider gets some individual evaluation by the instructor and you can ask as many questions as you like.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be back (hopefully on the July 18th).

Will they change the groups up after the first session or two?  I have absolutely no idea which group I would need to be in.

Will they change the groups up after the first session or two?  I have absolutely no idea which group I would need to be in.

It's tough to guess at the beginning which group to be in, but i would say they are pretty flexible.  Just keep talking to your instructor and they'll let you know.  If you've done at least a few track days at other tracks, you would probably be in one of the higher groups.

It's tough to guess at the beginning which group to be in, but i would say they are pretty flexible.  Just keep talking to your instructor and they'll let you know.  If you've done at least a few track days at other tracks, you would probably be in one of the higher groups.

This will be my first track day anywhere.  I've been riding on the street for a while but I realize that means nothing when it comes to track riding.

After two session we move riders to either faster,or slower group if need it.

Every session we start first 2laps easy to make sure everybody have tires warm up.

You will have plenty time to put your warmers on and go to class.

Stop at garage # 5 before tech,I help you thru the day.

• Upvote 1

After two session we move riders to either faster,or slower group if need it.

Every session we start first 2laps easy to make sure everybody have tires warm up.

You will have plenty time to put your warmers on and go to class.

Stop at garage # 5 before tech,I help you thru the day.

Thank you.

Lowcel , you'll do just fine. Biggest thing I can tell you is to come ready to learn, and be open minded. I learned more in my first track day , than I did in 5 years of riding on the street .

I have no problem being open minded and I really want to learn, improve, and eventually move up. I just want to learn to do all of these things without being a danger to myself or anyone else out there.